close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

how do you guestemate how many rounds through a used gun?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 97guns, Feb 2, 2010.

1. 97guns

97guns

i really dont mind buying used guns, my last 10 or so purchases have all been used pieces. just wondering if you guys have a way of guestemating how many rounds have been through the pipe. i use the wear on the outside of the barrel as an indicator but it may not be of any value. here is a used 23 that i bought a couple of years ago, i put maybee 500 rounds through it myself. can you take a guess, i would have to say no more than 1000 before i got ahold of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DriBak

DriBak GUNS UP Millennium Member

I have seen Glocks with 5K round counts look that good

3. MainStreetIowa

MainStreetIowa

Verrrrrrry hard to say with a GLOCK. Yes, you can see from both the inside of the slide and from the barrel that it's seen some good action.

How much? :dunno: Anyone's guess.

The best you can do is to assume that since it's not a typical "competition" GLOCK, it can't have had that many rounds pumped through it.

I'd guess 1,000 and move on to more important matters.

4. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

It makes no difference to me. I don't care if it's got 200K through it, Glock's gonna stand behind it.

5. mymini40

mymini40

you can always change the barrel, so judging it by barrel wear is not always true.

6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Well,....it could use a cleaning. :rofl:
    I guesstimate that has 3k plus

7. 97guns

97guns

glocks need to be cleaned? i never knew that....

8. dc2integra

dc2integra

i agree it needs a cleaning i gueestimate about 4k rounds

9. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

:rofl:

10. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

oh wait were you serious :help:

11. krush777

krush777

:cool::cool:

12. picturethis

picturethis

I may be weird, but I'll gladly pay an extra 100 or 150 to get a new gun over even a used but in very good condition gun. If a new Glock is 500 at the gun shop and you can find a used one for 375, I'd gladly pay that extra 125. Kinda like how some guys have to have a brand new car, even though used is the best deal. A Glock is the only gun I'd ever buy used, though.

13. b2unit

b2unit

wrong thread ....

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  14. knaack134

knaack134

Its easy, cout the barrel in half and count the rings:tongueout:

15. Manofprint

Manofprint

All used gun have only had exactly 100 or 500 rounds through them. No more no less :rofl:

16. Leathernecker

Leathernecker More Glocks!

You've noticed that too, huh?

:rofl:

17. Markasaurus

Markasaurus

I wouldn't even try to guess unless i were an armorer or something and had seen a million billion gazillion glock. The important thing is the mechanical wear often tells the tail. So what parts wear inside a glock?
    Barrel, (slide movement and firing), firing pin and spring, the plastic inserts on ditto, recoil guide and spring, slide rails, trigger bar, trigger safety and spring, extractor, all other springs.

Barrel, (inside and out) slide rails (shake the gun, does it rattle a whole lot? = slide rail or slide wear), trigger bar where it touches the connector (is it hard to disassemble from the trigger spring or does it slide off super easy? = wear).

The condition of the Metal on metal parts says a lot too: is the trigger safety (the little round plunger in the slide), scratched a lot? (You could even mike it and compare that measurement with a brand new one if you had one - its a cheap part to replace so the point is that a heavily worn trigger safety plunger, wear that would show up on a micrometer, means the rest of the gun is probably worn too.)

Like other people were saying, everything on a glock can be cheaply and easily replaced so i'd just worry about the lower receiver and the slide. A lower receiver or slide worn out would be a big deal breaker for me, to buying a used gun. I doubt you can replace the slide rails in the lower or those inside the receiver, you'd want to pay particular attention to those.

If they let you disasemble it, do the pins slide out easily? If so they're worn a little. It is metal on plastic here so if the pins almost fall out, the holes in the lower have some wear. (I've been wondering if someone somewhere makes special oversize replacement pins for this eventuality.)

Examine the fit of the slide on the rails, (compare to new Glock if possible), and examine how easily the barrel moves when the slide is racked. The barrel is replaceable but that costs $120, so does the barrel have a peened appearance at this contact point? Examine inside the slide right in front of ejection port (the barrel contacts here with every shot).

If i wasnt sure i'd either take it to an armorer and pay up, or just forget the whole thing.

18. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Look UNDER the barrel, in the little slot where it contacts the locking block. You will need a light and a magnifying glass, but you should be able to make out the number on the round counter. If yours is broken, you can get a new one form any gunshop that sells replacement grip panels for Glocks.

19. bayshtyshorty

bayshtyshorty

My gen3 23 was built in Dec. of 06 and i've got somewhere in the 150,000 rounds through it and it looks just like that, every 50,000 i grab a new spring for it (i carry it)....better safe than sorry. I've put JUNK and great ammo through it and it has NEVER misfired by any means! Good buy in my opinion.

20. 9mmdude

9mmdude

So you have 3000 boxes of ammo at $15.00 a box or $45,000 in ammo through your glock..................Really

:upeyes:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010