GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Personally I've never been a huge fan. Just always seemed kind of gimmicky to me. Not to mention they just don't last forever. One of the reasons I like guns is because they are pretty much timeless. It bugs me that I have to change out sites because they will stop working after so many years.

So that being said, I have exactly one gun with night sights. It is a Sig P228. I don't shoot it much but it is a very nice little pistol. I'm going to guess that the night sights are probably about 20 years old. I just got the gun out of the safe tonight, just going through some of my guns, and noticed the night sights are no longer glowing.

I'm certainly not going to replace the sights because I never shoot this particular firearm, but I am currently in the process of "pimping" out a Glock and I was wondering should I fork out the extra dough for some night sights? So far I have never been impressed, but am I missing something that I should know?

What do you guys think about night sights?

·
Banned
1,776 Posts
I don't own as many guns as most of the guys on here but I have gone through a few in the last couple years and have never put night sites on any of them. Never felt the need to. I like my stock sites just fine on the ol 17. I guess if you ever need your gun In a dark situation they will work.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
A good set of night sights does make a tremendous difference when acquiring a target in less than ideal light. I have started only using Truglo TFO sights and have found that they not only help in low light, but in broad daylight as well. All that said, you can certainly get by without night sights but they are a definite advantage.

·
Registered
59,812 Posts
I see the charm in them when shooting an hour or three after sunset.

Reactions: XDRoX

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Don't care for them.
In general, don't care for 3-dot pistol sights, fiber optic included.

I have removed a couple sets to install plain black target sights.

I once won a nighttime action pistol match, I found the silhouette of plain black sights good enough on a minimally illuminated target. Many other shooters used a mounted flashlight, laser sight, or both.

I won a tac light/laser l, sold it.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Don't care for them.
In general, don't care for 3-dot pistol sights, fiber optic included.

I have removed a couple sets to install plain black target sights.

I once won a nighttime action pistol match, I found the silhouette of plain black sights good enough on a minimally illuminated target. Many other shooters used a mounted flashlight, laser sight, or both.

I won a tac light/laser l, sold it.
So what were you using? The "Force"?
;)

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I always install them on carry pistols. If you spend enough time doing low/dim light shoots, you may or may not grow to appreciate them, I happen to find value in night sights. Used orange front green rear mepros for years, then moved on to different variations of the ameriglo sights with the large painted front sight, now using Trijicon HD'S. I really like the yellow front on the HD, up against the bladed rear. To each their own I suppose.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
XD........A "site" is a "place" or a "location"; the things you use to aim a gun are "sights".......as in, "eye sight".

The reason night sights need to be replaced after about 9 or 10 years is because the radio-active tritium gas that's used in night sights has a "half life" of only 12.32 years, so after about 10 years, night sights have lost much of their phosphorescence and need to be replaced.

Do you really need "night sights"? That all depends on whether or not you have much need of accurately aiming your gun is low-light level situations; if you do, night sights are a must; if you tend to shoot mainly in good light, you don't need them at all.

IMO, a much better solution than "night sights" is to just equip your hand gun (or rifle) with a high quality reflex, or "red dot" sight.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
So what were you using? The "Force"?
;)
Target area was dark, but not completely black. Pistol sights had enough contrast to do what they needed to do with the minimum backlighting.

Try shooting in the dark instead of just imagining what it might be like holding your pistol in a dark room. If there is enough light to make out a target (night sights don't illuminate the target obviously), there will be a contrast between the sights and background.

Or maybe I am a Jedi master and just used the force, that would be much more awesome.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
11,769 Posts
Just night plain night sights I am not crazy about. There are some sights that are good for normal light, low level and fully dark and these I like.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I'm a big fan of them. All our pistols at work (Glock 17s) have them.

For a while we only had the front sight as night sights, but now all have them front and rear.

Glock brand.

Sniff

·
Banned
17,266 Posts
I like them. Just know going in the sight won't be a lifer-- all tied to the half-life of tritium.

I did buy one used gun with dead nite sights and since it won't be a primary defense gun I used sight paint rather than replace.

BTW my 24/7 watch has tritium too... Never will own a watch without it.

·
Got ointment?
4,284 Posts
A good set of night sights does make a tremendous difference when acquiring a target in less than ideal light. I have started only using Truglo TFO sights and have found that they not only help in low light, but in broad daylight as well. All that said, you can certainly get by without night sights but they are a definite advantage.
TFXs are far superior to TFOs, IMHO. Having the fibers encased in glass prevents them from staining.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts