close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How do you deal with boredom at work.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by digitalmike47, Feb 18, 2010.

1. digitalmike47

digitalmike47

Do any of you guys get bored at work?

I work in IT for a local Govt. and have been here for over 25 years. I know my job, and do it well. Like a lot of places, we have more people than we need, and like anyone in IT will tell you, sometimes there is just nothing to do. But you have to "look" busy. Especially in these times when budgets are being cut, and people are being let go. Fortunatly, there are a lot of people ahead of me, that would have to go first, but I feel bad for anyone that looses their job.

But in all honesty, I'm like a fireman, and sometimes there are just no fires. I know people walk by, and see me in front of my computer, and think, "he just sits there all day and never does anything". Well what they don't see are the 3 servers I am monitoring, and all the phone calls I take, and the many things I can fix from right here.

I get up and walk the building, and even go to some off-sights, but I have to justify that with a workorder, or they ask, "why were you here or why were you there?"

Like I said, I've been doing this for a long time, and I know how to "look" busy, when there isn't anything going on. But it is getting harder and harder to do.

Anybody else in the same boat?

2. A/C Guy

A/C Guy

I have the opposite problem. Business is so good right now that I can't keep up with everything. This will be one of our best Februaries ever.

Can we trade job for a week? I need some rest.

3. Adams454

Adams454

I don't mean for this to come across as bad as it will. But you are admitting to being part of the government waste problem. And wanting help with it. From my taxpaying standpoint, if there are people standing around with nothing to do. You don't need busy work, that government needs to cut some people. That's what they do in the private sector where I work. They will put you on the street in a heartbeat when there are 2 people and only 1 person worth of work. It's just good business. Sorry I don't have any solutions for you. I work when someone is paying me to.

4. digitalmike47

digitalmike47

I'd love to. Sometimes I'd give my left nut to be that busy. And sometimes I am. It's feast or famine.

I know people are thinking, "whats he whining about, at least he has a job", and I'm not complaining...(that's another thread) I just wonder what different folks do...

Good for you being busy......

5. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

On long flights I'd fall asleep. Although that did seem to upset the passengers a little.:supergrin:

[​IMG]

6. digitalmike47

digitalmike47

I agree, I am part of the waste. But in government, the goal is to get as many people under you as you can to justify your job and your salary. That's what my bosses did over the years. I started out as the only person in the department...but they decided we needed more, and more...now we do have too many...and the whole place is too big. But I can't do anything about that. I'm not quitting just to save the govt. some money. I've put in too many years to walk away. They are cutting people, but that doesn't help me really.....
    I used to could give one day responce to a problem...then we got more and more equipment, and sometimes it took too days....so they hire more people, and the responce time goes down...but now people don't really care about the responce time. I can still take care of most anything in a day....but we just have too many people doing it.

7. digitalmike47

digitalmike47

:rofl::rofl:

8. gleasonb

gleasonb

pull people over

9. marlinfan

marlinfan

Call the amber lamps.

10. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

I work in IT too and I have to say, I can totally empathize with precisely what you're describing.

I read when I'm bored. When all fires are out and the servers are humming and the clients are happy I find a good technical subject and dive in, deep.

One thing I have noticed, in my environment, is that my clients don't feel like I'm never busy because I'm always available for them. When they have a problem I stop, go fix it, effectively and go away again. I work when it's busy and I don't when it's not.

I don't punt my clients or procrastinate or say I'll do something and then forget about it. I stop what I'm doing (unless it's a higher priority) and go help them accomplish whatever it is they need assistance with.

I jot everything I do down and create a work order at some point THAT day. My boss sees what I do from the work orders (even though he's in another city) and my clients see what I accomplish at their desks, with desktop support, server stumbles, network/e-mail outages, hardware installs, project implementation, client training and security audits.

When they are especially pleased with me I ask them to send an E-mail to my boss and about 5 percent of the time they do. My boss likes me because the only communication he gets from my clients is praise of my work. He knows when he asks me to do something I will do it when I say I will and if I can't meet his expectations I tell him, upfront.

No suprises, no complaints, no excuses.

So, when I spend 3 hours at my desk waiting for something to break, nobody is passing my office asking themselves what, exactly, is it that I "do" around here.

Mostly I read, do my college homework, surf the web ... when I'm bored.

11. KDawg0007

KDawg0007

12. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

You are apparently wholly ignorant of the way IT works in all employment sectors. That's OK though, many people are.

Private sector and government alike pay IT people to be there when they are needed. IT is a lot like a gun, you seldom need it but, when you do, you need it badly and immediately.

What happens when an entire floor (a few hundred) of people can't do their jobs for a couple of hours while you wait on your "on-call" service technician who knows nothing about the nuances of your environment to show up?

How much does that cost?

13. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Scripts. Write scripts to check up on things you always mean to check on, on things that need to be looked after and on things that tend to go wrong. There's always scripts that need written/tweaked/changed/bettered, etc.

14. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

A lot of IT is like insurance. You never use it until you use it. Suddenly all the money spent on overhead was worth it.

15. Historian

Historian NRA Benefactor Lifetime Member

Me too! That being said we're so understaffed that I rarely have a slowdown.

That being said...when people see you at your desk them don' realize the large nuimber of hours off duty that go into the work.

16. Adams454

Adams454

And you apparently didn't read the OP that I was replying to. He openly admitted that there were too many people for the job. In the private sector. It doesn't matter what the field. When a company is paying more people than it needs, it's bad for business.

17. digitalmike47

digitalmike47

Excellent point. And I know part of the problem is me. I know I am paid to be there, and for my knowledge. People love it when I come in and go to the cabinet and reset a switch or something and like you said, "bring the whole department, or classroom back up" I'm a hero. But for me, I didn't really do that much. I like to be busy, I like to have something to show for my work. But that is my problem....a lot of what I do is easy for me. I guess it's not so much being bored, but being challenged.

Good point....

18. bulls_on_parade

bulls_on_parade

I sit on glocktalk and constantly refresh the main page and read the threads that interest me

19. jslatts

jslatts

I look at glock talk but thats because my job is boring (i scan files and upload them to a law firms server HOW FUN). but i cant complain because they allow me to go to school in the middle of my work day

20. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Sounds like you need to specialize then. Move to server side, security, network engineering ... get out of the front line stuff. When your IT job stops being a puzzle you've probably been at the same job (in IT) too long.

This field has hundreds of specializations, there's no reason to be bored unless you have decided to be happy with your current assignment long after you should have moved on/up.