close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How do you college guys pay the rent?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by craig_o, Mar 2, 2010.

1. craig_o

craig_o CLM

redacted

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  2. ProtectedByGlock

ProtectedByGlock

3. madAB

madAB

Maintenance for a county club.

4. byf43

byf43 NRA Endowment Life Member

I'm not college age, but, my oldest son and oldest daughter paid their rent while at college two ways:

1. First National Bank of Mom & Dad.
    2. They both worked part-time (almost) full-time. (They both worked for local restaurants and made goooooooooooooooooood money in tips.)
    As for working conditions, one restaurant in Ocean City, MD, the manager kept 'hitting' on my daughter, and wanted several of the girls to stay late and 'play around' and smoke dope with him.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  5. jensen_lover

jensen_lover

That is what I do. I still live with my dad. This is my last semester and then off into the real world. I am going to work for a year or two and then go to grad school.

6. GlockPride

GlockPride Glock 23

Never did heard o' oneufdem ron' here befoe! :cool:

And I worked hard and stayed in the dorms. So, I guess I borrowed the money for five years to pay the rent in college.

7. Adjuster

Adjuster

Worked at a retail store all through college. Marshall University Huntington WV. Worked at Big Lots Department Store. Transferred to that store from my hometown store.

8. whitetiger7653

whitetiger7653 NRA Life Member

Work. I have worked 2 jobs at a time and the SO has worked 3 at a time. We both went to school full time also. Our roommate uses living expense loans.

9. aplcr0331

aplcr0331

First couple of years I worked as a Janitor in a hospital, that was humbling work but I loved it all the same.

Waited a few years and earned a couple of degrees while in the military. Paid for by the fine tax payers of GT. Thank you everyone!

10. devildog2067

devildog2067

I charge $60/hr for tutoring in physics/math/chemistry, and I turn business away all the time. The rate has little to do with being in a PhD program, either--I was able to charge $50/hr when I didn't even have an undergraduate degree yet.

If there's an easier job than hanging out with cute girls and helping them do their homework, I haven't found it yet.

11. aplcr0331

aplcr0331

Then there is that whole nerd thing. How many IQ points did you have to hide in order to communicate with fellow Belleau woodsmen? I'm guessing about 80-95 right off the top.

<---------------Too stupid to tutor others, had a tutor...she was not cute.:crying:

12. carefact0rzero

carefact0rzero

gotta love the GI Bill, been going to school and being a bum for 8 months now...

13. devildog2067

devildog2067

Yeah, the other grunts thought I was weird because I carried paperback books around and read in my free time.

So what? I was dirty and miserable right there with the rest of them, when it mattered :supergrin:

14. napp32

napp32

I worked as janitor in the circumcision ward at a hospital...pay was minimum wage; but there was lots of tips. :whistling:

15. devildog2067

devildog2067

[​IMG]

16. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

My roommate has a Wal-Mart job, and for the past few years has been working full-time for a semester, then scaling back to part-time while he goes to school for a semester. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I started college on a full scholarship and mooched from family to cover living expenses. My school was in the middle of nowhere, and until I had a car my options for work were the pizza shop/gas station, the grocery store, or working on campus. Nobody was hiring.

When I did have a car, my family objected to me driving half an hour each way to get a part-time job. I did later band together with some other guys to create a game review website that almost took off. I never saw a dime from it, but I did get some free games and some harassment from campus police about curfew out of it.

My scholarship dropped when my grades did (I wasn't a partier, I was an insomniac and it was hurting me badly). I applied for student loans... but my mother never gave me her financial information, so I couldn't get any help. Fortunately, it was about that time I realized that people in the specific niche I wanted to enter didn't get degrees in their field--because back then, there really weren't any. (I went back to school later and will do so again, but it didn't have anything to do with getting a job.)

17. drew4691

drew4691

a lot of my friends did the whole student loan thing. I had the GI bill to sponge off of. THanks taks payers! :D

18. wolf19r

wolf19r Problem Solved!

Scholarship and mooching. LOL

19. k9barco

k9barco

That manager would have got a "visit".

20. cranejc

cranejc

Two four letter words: Work & Loan