close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How do you clean Perch?`

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by striderglock, Jul 2, 2003.

1. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

They're pretty boney, how do yo do it? I've always fished for fish I can filet.

2. J. Parker

J. Parker

I don't think you'll get much of a fillet out of a perch. I scale 'em and gut 'em and that's it! Head and all go in the fryin' pan.;f

3. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

So you just pick meat off the bone?

4. tjpet

tjpet

If perch aren't big enough to fillet (approx. 10+") don't bother. They're a PITA to deal with otherwise and your time would be better spent going after something bigger.

5. Wmarden

Wmarden

soap and water;f

Seriously though I agree with the fry them all(more or less) rather than try and get a 1/8 inch thick filet. I prefer fishing for crappie if I am going after smaller fish.

6. vart

vart

My grandpa and I used to catch about 20 perch at a time, and he would fillet them out. They were only about 8" long, and the fillets were about 1 1/2" x 3". My grandma would then roll them in flour and fry them up ;f .

7. J. Parker

J. Parker

Yep, pick the meat right off the bone.;f

8. noway

noway

"i agree with the fillet part, if the fish can't provide a 1/2" or thick fillet then I don't even bother with it"

But for perch, my dad guts them, scale them cuts the head off and frys them, then you have to pick the meat off and try not to swallow a bone.

For me I perfer; Salmon,Talipia,Mahi-Mahi,halibut or plain old Atlantic Cod.

Now thoose are a real fish that's easy to fillet and cook.

9. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Man yall are missing out throwing back the little ones.

Growing up on Lake Erie I've done quite a bit of perch fishing. Anything over 40 or so and we'd pay to have them cleaned. Sure you end up missing one or two, but that beats the time spent.

If doing it yourself, with the repetition it takes about 1 minute a fish. The key is a good, sharp fillet knife.

One one side cut underneath the side fin (not sure what it's called) make a 45deg cut towards the mouth about half way through until you hit backbone. Then twist the knife under until the sharp side is facing the tail. Just slide it down along the backbone down the length of the fish. On the non-skin side there will be a thin membrane of bone and "stuff". Get the knife just underneath that and slide it down. Then without flipping the fish, get the knife just above the skin and with pressure, slide it down the length of the fish. Repeat on the other side and toss the remains in the garden for fertilizer, or if big enough save the head for snapping turtle bait.

You can also butterfly them, which is almost the same process except you're angling the knife as you run it down the length of the fish as to leave a small section connected. I prefer this myself. Deep fried butterfly perch and a little tartar sauce. Make a man think he's died and gone to heaven.

10. J. Parker

J. Parker

mpol777,
    Damn, I grew up on the shores of Lake Erie also. Born is Ashtabula and grew up mostly in Euclid. Fished for many a perch that's for sure.;f

11. JMag

JMag

Lift the tail and wipe them!!! ;P

I couldn't resist...

12. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

NOWAY SAID...

(QUOTE)..."But for perch, my dad guts them, scale them cuts the head off and frys them, then you have to pick the meat off and try not to swallow a bone." (End quote).

His dad is right!

Then you use the little bones for tooth picks!

CanyonMan