How do you chose what caliber to carry?

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by Kablamo, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Kablamo

Kablamo

Hey Mas,

Not to open a can of worms here... I realize you carry different guns in different calibers frequently.

I'm curious if you could shed some light on how you decide what caliber to carry instead of just sticking to one?

I flip flop between carrying a full size 9mm with 17rnds and a 1911 with 8rnds of 45acp.

I know that "statistics" and FBI testing shows that all handgun rounds 9 - 45 are comparable, but shooting steel with a 45 vs 9 shows a rather significant difference of force.

Two questions.

#1 How do you personally select caliber to carry?

#2 If you could only carry one caliber personally, what would it be and why?

Thanks so much!

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

In states where ammo capacity is limited, I usually carry a .45 -- typically 1911 or Glock 30 series. I make a point of carrying .45 in cold weather, where the target will likely be wearing heavy clothing. I've seen that plug even the best hollow points on occasion, and if my ammo is going to turn into ball, history tells me I want it to turn into BIG ball.

In temperate weather in jurisdictions where there are no magazine capacity limits I'm more likely to carry a double stack 9mm. If flying, with 11 pound weight limit on ammo in luggage, that also allows me to bring more ammo in checked baggage.

Wardrobe, personal shooting preference, and other factors have to be taken into consideration. A good test of caliber controlability is, which can you shoot faster and straighter weak hand only?

Fortunately, except for a very few jurisdictions, we aren't limited to only one carry gun. If we were, I'd probably go with a .45 for all-weather, all-states versatility.
    best,
    Mas

CDR_Glock and chiefjack like this.

3. Kablamo

Kablamo

Thank you, Mas!