How do you carry while on a hike?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by davethehiker, Apr 18, 2016.

1. davethehiker

davethehiker

I do not want anyone to know I carry. If I'm at the store or the bank, etc I have my G-29 in a trigger holster (home made MIC type) in the kidney position where I'm confident I could pull it out and deploy it very quickly if needed. On a long hike in the woods I carry a full backpack that precludes me from carrying that way because the back would block access to the weapon and I think it would be uncomfortable. I do not want to open carry. I frequently have valuable camera equipment with me and I have a trekking pole in each hand. Has anyone come up with a good inconspicuous way to carry while hiking? I would prefer to carry my G-29 as shown in my avatar. I also have a G-23 and a G-27 equipped with the RMR red dot if compromise is needed. As you serious hikers know, weight is a big consideration on a long hike. I'm currently thinking about taking some short (5 mile) hikes with my wife in the woods of Pennsylvania.

2. Border Bandit 32

Border Bandit 32

3. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

4. SmokeRoss

SmokeRoss GTDS Member #49

"He wore is gun outside his pants......." That's what I do. When wearing a pack, my gun is right in front of my, uhm, gun. I want to be able to reach it with either hand.

5. Mayonator

Mayonator

OWB, cross-draw holster if carrying a rifle or wearing a pack, otherwise, on my strong-side. I don't care if people I meet in the woods know I'm carrying. I want the handgun to be readily accessible, if it weren't, there'd be no point in having it, it would just be dead weight.

There are quick-access fanny/waist type packs made just for handguns. Getting to yr gun is essentially a two-handed operation and not very fast.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  6. F350

F350

To each their own.

Frankly I don't give a shat who knows I am armed. I OC every day weather permits and when hiking, fishing etc I often carry a G20 in a drop holster if other things might get in the way of belt carry.

7. eb07

eb07 Sharkin'

8. Radius_Retention_Systems

Radius_Retention_Systems RADIUS RETENTION SYSTEMS

A fly fishing chest pack makes a great inconspicuous place to carry, sometimes I don't want to alarm the visiting flyfishermen.

I usually just carry open in a Simply Rugged chest rig when hiking and fly fishing..

9. davethehiker

davethehiker

eb07, Thank you. I never heard of the safepacker. I just watched the video and I'm impressed. It looks like it could easily accommodate my Glock-29.

A friend told me a story that supposedly happened to a friend of his. The friend of a friend was open carrying his weapon, when some one approached him and asked, "Is that a Glock-20" when the friend of a friend answered "Yes". The stranger said, as he pointed a gun at him "I always wanted one of those, I'll take yours." The inquisitive stranger then walked away with both guns.

I'm not sure the story is true but it makes one think.

I like the idea of the MIC within the safe pack with the lanyard tied to the inside of the pack. That might prevent an accidental discharge when reaching in and grabbing the gun.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  10. SCmasterblaster

I carry my G17 as I do in the urban areas - in a Bianchi 4/4L hip holster, Cond I.

11. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

I know everybody hates them, but nobody looks twice at me when I hike with a fanny pack. If perspiration is a consideration, stuff inside the fanny pack stays dry, whereas, I would think a holster would get soaked.

PastorSlim likes this.
  12. SCmasterblaster

Fanny pack sounds like a good idea.

13. Mountain10mm

Mountain10mm

Shoulder holster. Easily covered by a button down long/short sleeve shirt, easily accessed with or without your pack.

14. SCmasterblaster

A shoulder holster sounds good as well.

15. davethehiker

davethehiker

Hummmm... That's another interesting possibility. I can imagine reaching into my shirt under the sternum strap and whipping it out. I never bought myself a shoulder holster. I'm told that they are the most comfortable way to carry. It would certainly be hidden out of sight. Hell, even it managed to fall out of a shoulder holster, it would still be trapped inside my shirt, particularly if I was wearing the back pack. I have seen some inexpensive cloth shoulder holsters that might work well. Some great suggestions. Thank you.

16. Koba

Koba

If hiking, I OC. I bring my largest caliber pistol, which presently is my only one. I do hope to change that soon though...

17. davethehiker

davethehiker

I tend to agree about the biggest caliber on a hike. Lions, people and bears, oh my! To paraphrase Dorthy in the wizard of oz.

18. Maccabeus

Maccabeus

I've carried a S&W4513TSW IWB right up front behind my belt buckle while carting kids around the woods with a child-carrier pack. (With an over shirt hanging loose over my pants belt and the pack belt). While I expected the belt and buckle for the hip support pads would make carrying that way uncomfortable, it didn't. If you haven't tried it, it would be worth testing out.

19. tundracamper

tundracamper

G43 in the front left belt pocket of my Kelty Coyote 80 pack.

20. APERS

APERS

Glock 17 or 19 in a Blade Tech paddle holster. Same setup I use for IDPA, USPSA, and CCH.
    Usually one Glock 17 magazine in a Blackhawk individual mag holder. Covers easily with a baggy t shirt
    or jacket.