close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How do you become a reservist

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by mikey177, Mar 29, 2006.

1. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

To keep the high-powered rifle price check thread from goinf off-topic, I'm just going to ask this here: How do you go about becoming a reservist? After finishing basic ROTC in college, what should you do to achieve and maintain reservist status? Are there any advantages --aside from the 50% discount for FA license renewal :) -- to being in the reserve forces? Conversely, what are the responsibilities that accompany being in the reserves?

Kiddo? cebuboy? Anyone?

2. Kiddo

Kiddo

ROTC graduates who aren't active in the reserves get placed under the standby reserves, while reservists who are active and continuously train through AADT (annual active duty training) gets placed on the ready reserve batallions. Standby reserves are divided into three categories. Fresh ROTC graduates to 35 years old are category 1 reserves, 35 to 60 years old are category 2 reserves, and 60 above are category 3 reserves. When the Reserve Command activates the standby reserve units, they activate category 1 first, then 2, then three.

The ready reserve batallions are the first ones to be activated in case the AFP calls on reserves. Ready reserves may get activated when there are calamities in their area, etc. Mostly CMO (civic military operations) work. Well, as a reserve, when you are in official duty or in uniform, you are bound by the Articles of War (referred to as the Uniform Code of Military Justice in US Armed Forces) just like organic/active duty soldiers, but when not in uniform or when not in official duty, you are like every other civilian. Hence reservists are usually called 'citizen soldiers'. :)

As for training, it usually depends on the budget released by the Reserve Command. Training usually goes on weekends plus additional training on summers.

From an inactive status, reservists can join the ready reserves by visiting their community defense centers under their regional community defense group or RCDG and fill up forms and get additional requirements from there.

I hope those helped. I'll try to answer other questions if I can. :)

3. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Thanks for the info, Kiddo. I'll browse through the AFP web site first and see if they have info there on the location of the regional community defense group here in Region 1.

Is the training difficult, or is it based on your age and skill level? For example, is there a different set of training programs for persons 35 to 60 years old?

4. Allegra

Allegra

Mag military athlete ka nalang :)
    Wala kang gagawin kundi shoot all day , you get paid basic pay and lots of free time, plus gas money
    They get to send you to other Asian countries to compete against their military.
    Nilapitan ako dati kaso I declined , bawal may dalang yaya

5. Kiddo

Kiddo

In our RCDG, training is more on lectures. Physical training is only done on summers I think.

6. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Okay Kiddo, thanks for the info. Yahoo, excited na ako :)

Allegra, hindi rin ako pwede maging military athlete kasi may yaya din ako :supergrin:

7. brawnless

brawnless Junior Member

Anyone with experience being a military athlete? :supergrin:

8. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

here in cebu, the 7rcdg is inside centcom camp lapu-lapu. it is also the home of kamagong gun club. our club prez is a retired colonel. he needs our help so we signed up. we were asked to submit a copy of our TOR. after that you fill up some forms then they give you a serial number and rank. you can also get yourself commissioned if you want to be an officer. i think you also get the same perks like those in the active service have. responsibilities?? i think our job is like a spare tire:) our company is mostly involved in medical and dental missions in the mountain baranggays:) i think kiddo has more info regarding this, he just finished ROTC.

9. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Thanks, cebuboy. TOR means Transcript of Records, yes?

10. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

yup, they want to see if you got rotc. otherwise you got to be private mikey177:)

11. atmarcella

atmarcella

correct me if i'm wrong, pero the main perk why anyone would want to be a reservist is that you get to carry your blaster...right?

12. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

the discount for firearm license is a big help:) you only got to carry when youre on a mission and in uniform. dont know if you can while in civvies.

13. Kiddo

Kiddo

Cebuboy is right, reservists can only carry when they are issued an mr/mo, there is an actual mission requiring it, and they are in uniform.

14. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

Be careful what you wish for. Maybe it depends on the service you are a reservist in. I have a friend who decided to join the Marines. There were a lot of lectures (he became a Lieut. Colonel) but the actual physical activities were quite heavy daw, and he spent a LOT of time in bundok areas. He is still on call, spends some weekends and times during the year at camp.

15. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Thanks for the warning, ante. I'll keep it in mind although, to tell you honestly, I don't have any intention of joining the Marine reserves at my age. I'll probably wind up with the Army branch since I was in Field Artillery when I was in college... in short, cannon fodder :)

16. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

the marine reserve are the most active, so much more for the officers. you can take it easy in the army:)

17. royal glockster

royal glockster

50% discount for FA license renewal for reservists?!! Big deal really for people who have lots of guns to renew (like me, hehe). It's just a coincidence that I have to submit my papers next week to AFPRESCOM Camp Aguinaldo for possible commissionship in the reserve force. Actually, i'm not aware about the 50% discount thing for reservists. Just really want to have that "military ID" thing, medyo ini-inggit kasi ako ng mga kasamahan ko na meron na. They trained at ARESCOM Fort Bonifacio for 15 sundays, and now they have their respective MRs and MOs as reserve enlisted army personnel. Told them that they have to salute me someday, when i get my commissionship from the AFPRESCOM, hehehe. Nagkataon me nakilala akong taga roon. :cool:

18. PMMA97

PMMA97 TagaBundok

19. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

but dont forget, officers have responsibilities. the higher your rank the more your responsibilities are:)

20. Kiddo

Kiddo

Cebuboy is right. Here in our RCDG, reserve officers are often called to render AADT on weekends by being instructors in training BCMT cadets.