Glock Talk banner

How do y'all feel about .38 for CCW/deffense?

8K views 60 replies 51 participants last post by  Jade Falcon 
#1 · (Edited)
I carry a Glock 26 for CCW, but am thinking about getting a Taurus 85 Ultralite .38 for my wife (ideal because she's not that gun savvy) or maybe for me just to have as an alternative choice for my CCW. Academy Sports has them for $279. Pretty affordable for a a simple CCW. What are your opinions about .38 for CCW? Thanks in a advance for the input/advice.:wavey:

#2 ·
Its been sending pieces of **** to the dirt nap for over 100 years. Nuff said

#6 ·
With good ammo, a .38 is sufficient. The new Taurus models usually feature good factory grips, too.

#8 ·
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE have your wife shoot a .38 snubby first.

They are not pleasant or manageable for a lot of guys, let alone women. They hurt to shoot +P and require a very decent amount of training to become proficient with.

A .38 snubby is NOT a beginners gun.

#13 ·
My wife carries a .38 cal (among others) and she shoots it well. She is 73 years old and can't rack a slide on a semi-auto.

It's very effective when properly applied.

#14 · (Edited)
a .38spl is a good round though reduced in power from a 2" bbl it can still get the job done well with +p ammo. for your non gun savvy wife id recommend a softer shooting load (non +p).

im in no way a fan of a built in lock on a gun so i can not recommend the current taurus line up, but some people dont have an problem with the built in lock so $279 is a steal on a new gun.

#17 ·
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE have your wife shoot a .38 snubby first.

They are not pleasant or manageable for a lot of guys, let alone women. They hurt to shoot +P and require a very decent amount of training to become proficient with.

A .38 snubby is NOT a beginners gun.
This.

A Taurus is not the one I would choose.
Both of these.

OP, I would suggest looking at S&W, preferably in a (smaller) K-frame, or a J-frame with some kind of oversized grips. A compact, snub nosed 38 can definitely SUCK in terms of recoil with good .38 defense ammo, but the slightly larger grip of a K frame can help with that. I have an older Taurus .357 (can't remember model - 2" barrel with K-frame sized grips) that is still a handful with .38 loads, but it's MUCH easier than my old 442 J frame was.

There is also the option of the ported J frame in .38 Special - it definitely helps with muzzle climb, but the muzzle blast can be quite nasty, and it is NOT a gun to be fired in a close-contact scenario.

#19 ·
The old .38 snub has been a CCW favorite for decades. It wasn't until recently that it lost a bit of it's status to compact autos but it will certainly get the job done.
As far as a Taurus 85, I have an 85CH DAO that has never given me a bit of problems. Granted these days it's role isn't so much for CCW but it is my primary snake gun at work loaded with 5 rounds of snakeshot fr the prairie rattlers out here.

#20 ·
The old .38 snub has been a CCW favorite for decades. It wasn't until recently that it lost a bit of it's status to compact autos but it will certainly get the job done.
As far as a Taurus 85, I have an 85CH DAO that has never given me a bit of problems. Granted these days it's role isn't so much for CCW but it is my primary snake gun at work loaded with 5 rounds of snakeshot fr the prairie rattlers out here.
I'm guessing your Taurus is an older model? It seems that they have had more issues with newer production than they used to.

#21 · (Edited)
Both of these.

OP, I would suggest looking at S&W, preferably in a (smaller) K-frame, or a J-frame with some kind of oversized grips. A compact, snub nosed 38 can definitely SUCK in terms of recoil with good .38 defense ammo, but the slightly larger grip of a K frame can help with that. I have an older Taurus .357 (can't remember model - 2" barrel with K-frame sized grips) that is still a handful with .38 loads, but it's MUCH easier than my old 442 J frame was.

There is also the option of the ported J frame in .38 Special - it definitely helps with muzzle climb, but the muzzle blast can be quite nasty, and it is NOT a gun to be fired in a close-contact scenario.
I love my 642, but depending on how she will carry, the Ruger SP101 2" is a JOY to shoot .38's out of. It definitely heavier, but its really a great gun that both of you can enjoy - it will take .357s as well for that fun factor :supergrin:

I guess a lot depends on how it will be carried (on her body or purse carry) and how much time she is willing to commit to the range...

I would say look to S&W or Ruger instead of Taurus - for 50 to 100 more you can get a gun that will last forever, IMHO.

#22 ·
I'm guessing your Taurus is an older model? It seems that they have had more issues with newer production than they used to.

See... I was wondering about that. In the past year or so I've heard about all the issues with Taurus', but The jist I got was that their semi autos were the problem children and their revolvers were still good to go. I actually started out with a Taurus PT709 Slim 9mm for my CCW, but found out quickly I didn't like, then made the switch to Glock 26.

#24 ·
I think carrying a 38 is great protection..... As long as you use good ammo, IMO.
Speer makes great stuff designed for short barrels. Federal makes the old FBI heavy loads. Double Tap and Buffalo Bore ammo really shines in modern 38's.

Just don't use this stuff.

#25 ·
Carry a Smith & Wesson 442 everyday even open carry at work behind the counter of a C-store where I work, carry +P ammo my bug is a 9mm 9x18 mak

#26 ·
I think carrying a 38 is great protection..... As long as you use good ammo, IMO.
Speer makes great stuff designed for short barrels. Federal makes the old FBI heavy loads. Double Tap and Buffalo Bore ammo really shines in modern 38's.

Just don't use this stuff.
If I decide to get the .38 I was thinking Hornady Critical Defense ammo. That's what I run in my Glock 26.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.