How do ya'll carry your 1911s?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Eyescream, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

I'm entertaining the thought of trying a pancake holster out, something like a Don Hume 721, maybe; I've been reading a lot of good reviews of it. The Summer Comfort-style IWB holsters with the loops really close together just isn't working for me. I think a big reason for it is the fact that there's nothing between the rear sight and my side, so there's a lot of jabbing and pinching involved.

So I'm interested in reading what you guys carry in. Especially if you carry with a pancake holster, how high do they ride?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  2. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Take a look at the 60TK from Milt Sparks. It's close to what you describe in a pancake.

Personally all my 1911's ride in VMII's by the same maker. Best IWB I have ever experienced.

Good luck with your decision.

3. Rimcrew

Rimcrew

I would hightly recommend you try a Crossbreed SuperTuck. I think it is one of the most comfortable IWB holsters available. They will also refund your money if you don't care for it - so you can't lose!

If you want to go the OWB route, I second the recommendation on the Sparks 60TK. I like it a lot.

4. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Milt Sparks VMII
    [​IMG]

5. ancient_serpent

ancient_serpent

6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  7. kimberguy2004

kimberguy2004

Almost all of my holsters are Don Hume except for a couple of IWB Bianchis. The guys who sell Galco & Bianchi look down on them as not being a top of the line holster, but so what. The stiching is durable, they use quality leather, and their holsters secure the weapon very well. They don't use fancy tooling, but so what, can we say concealed? For the quality you get relative to price, Hume is a great bargain. I'll continue buying them..

8. Ruggles

Ruggles

Currently using a Tucker Gunleather Silent Thunder (have both the IWB & OWB). Hey made in Texas how could it not be great? :)

9. tnhawk

tnhawk

I've got several holsters from Tucker Gunleather. Some of the other brands I've had became chew toys for the hounds. :cool:

10. CAcop

CAcop

Bianchi Piece Keeper or Inner Piece I can't remember it has been a long time. The loops are stretched out so the holster moves a little too much when I seated for a long time. I change positions, so does the gun.

I really need to check out the VMII.

11. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

I hear a lot of good stuff about Milt Sparks' stuff, and a lot of the others mentioned.

On a lark, I got my wife's G23 and a Galco pancake that she has and never uses because she doesn't like leather holsters (I do) and put it on to see if I could conceal a gun at all as low as I wear my pants, and I was really surprised at how well I'm able to conceal a gun as blocky as this with an OWB rig. I'm sitting here typing this and still wearing the gun, and I can hardly tell I'm wearing it.

I think I'm gonna buy a pancake today and see how it works. Now I just need to decide if I want to try the 721OT or the 60TK.

12. R*E

R*E

I have a Don Hume 721. I like it because it keeps my Commander close in and the slim profile of the gun conceals pretty well over a light garment. The flap of leather above the belt line is great for protecting the safety from my sweaty skin (I used to use a 710 but my sweat got into the plunger which engaged the safety and I was carrying cocked & locked solid). I find OWB carry much more comfortable than IWB.

13. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

I just want something to protect my skin from the rear sight on my STI. :rofl:

I'm thinking about it. How high does the 721 ride?

14. MD357

MD357

Another Milt Sparks fan here. Waiting "patiently" for my EMP VM2 to get here. :upeyes:

15. R*E

R*E

I carried my STI Spartan once and kept banging the muzzle with my 710 holster whenever I sat down on a wooden chair. Between that and edges on the rear sight, I wet back to the Commander.

With the 721, the front of the trigger guard is just below the top of the belt line. Does that help give you an idea of how high it rides? I'd post a pic but my interwebz skills are lacking.

16. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

Yeah, it does. I'm not sure that rides high enough for what I'm gonna need it to do, but I might give this one a shot depending on the return policy (Gunner's Alley has a 45-day money back guarantee on holsters, for example). Also, the chair-banging may not be as much of an issue for me because I like to carry at around 3 o'clock, whereas most people seem to prefer carrying further back.

I'm probably gonna replace the sights in addition to getting a better holster. The advantages inherent in adjustable target sights are lost on me, and I'd rather just have a nice set of non-adjustable tritium sights like these instead.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  17. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Crossbreed Supertuck or even Quick Carry. I love them both. I would like to try a Milt SParks some day though.

18. R*E

R*E

I bought the Spartan as a range toy (and always wanted a 5" 1911). Those are sweet looking sights, if I was carrying the Spartan I'd probably get a set of those. You'll have to post about them if get them.

19. ccbricker

ccbricker

My 5" goes in a Minotaur Neutral Cant. 4" goes in VMII.

20. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

They look really good to me, and I like that they're already cut for the stupid STI-specific dovetail for the front sight. I just want to carry my Spartan more than I do, and I'm trying to make an effort to get it to where it's not a chore to carry it. It's been 100% reliable for as long as I've owned and shot it, to the point where I trust it just about as much as I trust my revolver that I carry about 95% of the time now, so I'm ready.