close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How do people NOT "see" motorbikes?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Annoyedgrunt, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Annoyedgrunt

Annoyedgrunt Dry Heat my ASS

I don't ride a motorbike, mainly because of the stupidity and inattentiveness of other drivers.

Was driving to Walmart today to go look at expensive CR123 batteries, and saw a motorbike riding along. It just made me wonder: every biker I've spoken with that had a car pull out directly in front of him- often times causing an accident- said that the other driver was looking right at him but pulled out anyway. Likewise, I've heard car drivers say of motorbikes "Well, I just didn't see it."

It's a freakin' motorbike. I see them just fine. How in blue hell do you NOT see one? How does one see cars/trucks but not bikes? :dunno:

2. gTWO

gTWO

I've been riding since the mid-70's. And *I* pulled out in front of one. The 'A' pillar in my car hid the bike at the exact worst moment.

Now I look around the A pillar at every stop.

3. GaGlock01

GaGlock01

Seems simple to me.

Bikes are too quiet
    Bikes sit in a cars blind spots
    Bike can come up on the driver fsdter than a car, so one second you are clear, the other the bike is there.

Its too easy to list too many, many, many different reasons why a car might miss a bike VS others cars and trucks that are on the road.

And not all bikers are safe riders, so why blame the car all the time?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  4. Annoyedgrunt

Annoyedgrunt Dry Heat my ASS

True enough. People just drive like **** around here. It's a daily occurrence to have some idiot tailgating me even when I'm 5 over the limit, or (this is my favorite :steamed:) have someone pull out right in front of me, makes me slam on the brakes, and proceed to drive REAL SLOWWW even though there was no one behind me and if they'd just waited about 2 seconds they could have had the whole road to themselves and not cut anyone off. :steamed:

5. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

They don't ride bikes themselves, and probably because they're automatically looking for cars/trucks/vans instead. I admit, bikes can be difficult to see...but from what I've noticed it's the people that glance for about 1/4 a second instead of looking for a second or two before they pull out.

Just yesterday I was going straight across a pretty busy intersection on my bike, and had an F150 with his blinker on turning left almost mow me down. By the time I took evasive action darting right, and he slammed his brakes on, we were about 18 inches away as I passed his bumper. This is a loud bike with the high beam on 24/7 too, and he still almost ran me over.

6. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Do you hear most cars? :dunno::whistling:

7. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

This is easily remedied. HH

8. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Loud pipes don't save lives -- they irritate the **** outta people! :tongueout:

9. deputy tom

deputy tom

Back in the 1960's they had a segment on 60 minutes re: not seeing motorcycles. Hold up a pencil or car antenna and it blocks out a whole bunch of area at not so far distances let alone body pillars. I road cycles for decades and was almost hit several times and once big time. I understand both sides of the argument. I always look both ways and around roof support pillars several times before a traffic manuver. tom.

10. JBnTX

JBnTX 2 Timothy 2:15

Why don't bikers stay where drivers CAN see them.

Too many times I've almost hit a biker in my blind spot.

A week ago I almost hit one that passed me very close on the right side. I was doing 75mph and he had to be going at least 100mph. I signaled, looked, started to change lanes and there he went by, very fast and very close.

If they have a problem being seen, then maybe they should stay where traffic can see them.

11. Danny Reid

Danny Reid

Because a lot of bikers ride in a manner inconsistent with being seen easily. Sorry, but that's just the truth. I cannot vouch for people in other locales, but where I live I have seen guys on motorcycles ( girls, too ) make some really reckless moves in traffic.

12. FCastle88

FCastle88

Honestly, I think a significant portion of incidents where the driver "didn't see the biker" are caused by the biker speeding or running a stop sign and blaming it on the driver. Around here the young bikers are all on sport bikes, and most of the ones I know are always bragging about driving 50+mph over the speed limit through town. Then almost every time I see a group of older bikers on Harleys, the lead rider stops at a stop sign then the whole group just goes through behind him, often pulling out right in front of oncoming traffic, forcing the drivers with the right of way to slam on their brakes. I've seen a few near accidents because of this, I nearly hit a biker at a 4-way stop just last week, a biker went though the intersection, then I started to go, as it was my turn. Then another biker came speeding down the road and ran the stop sign right in front of me to catch up to his friend. I hit my brakes as soon as I saw him coming, as I had a pretty good idea what he was going to do, otherwise I would have broadsided him, as it was I came within about 3 feet.

13. Danny Reid

Danny Reid

Come to Greenwood, SC. Happens all the time. Especially the being in a hurry to pull out only to get up to a speed of 10mph below the speed limit thing!

14. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

People look for cars and trucks, they are not used to seeing motorcycles. If you see something that you don't expect, it throws you for a loop. Hard to judge the distance a motorcycle is from you also.

15. vart

vart

I used to be on the side of loud pipes; I had a Harley with very loud pipes, and just about every vehicle I've owned has had modified exhaust.

I like to hear the motor and I have a small ****; so spare me the insults. :cool:

However, I drive in Phoenix 5 days a week year round and probably encounter more motorcycles in a week of driving than anybody else on GT does in a year.

I have been traveling down the highway, seen a motorcycle in the rear view mirror, make a mental note of them, and then moments later lose track of where they went due to different blind spots on my car or the bike weaving in and out of traffic.

I could have easily changed lanes suddenly to avoid debris in the road and took them out without ever seeing them or hearing them.

No matter how loud the pipes are, you can't hear them driving in a car on the hwy until the bike is going past you.

Loud pipes do absolutely no good in garnering attention of drivers that are in a position to either cut you off or pull out in front of you.

The sound waves are directed towards the rear of the bike.

You know what does work? Bikes with the strobe headlights and taillights always get my attention.

16. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Do you mean the ones that are trying to pass five cars at once?

Or the ones that are running fifty plus over the speed limit on the back tire?

Or the ones that don't think the traffic laws apply to them but complain that it's everyone else should obey the traffic laws when they are driving like nuts?

17. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

+1 :thumbsup:

18. srhoades

srhoades

This. The only time I almost hit a motorcycle was when I was making a lane on the freeway. He was flying at least 15MPH faster than everyone else in and out of lanes.

19. Golddog

Golddog

How about bicycles? Every serious cyclist I know has been clobbered by cars, and in every case the driver was clearly at fault. I quit riding because it's just too dangerous.

How about runners? A friend was killed and another crippled for life when struck by a car in broad daylight, with no other traffic around and clear sight lines for hundreds of yards.

Many drivers literally do not see anything but other cars. There must be a physiological/psychological reason for it - in most the cases I know of, none of the drivers was stupid, vicious, inept, or intoxicated.

There are exceptions to the "normality rule", of course. A woman pulled out of a driveway (clear sight line for a full half-mile in every direction) and clobbered my son on his bike as he was coming down a hill (he was a very seasoned rider - he had ridden his bicycle across the country, from the Oregon Coast to Ocean City, MD). The impact shattered her windshield and the driver's side window, and my son was somersaulted onto the roof of her car. She continued riding along as though nothing had happened, while he pounded on the roof for her to stop. Coincidentally, a local TV station's truck had seen the entire escapade; it drove after the woman and forced her to stop.

My wife was on her daily run down a rural road near our home, when a car came up behind her and a punk with a rubber hose leaned out of a window and smashed her in the back of the head, knocking her face down into the asphalt.

And two friends and I were running on the shoulder of a country road when a driver deliberately drove off the road straight at us, forcing us to throw ourselves into the trees beside the road.

So whenever I run on the roads these days, I carry a club of some sort and angle it outward by my side. Drivers may not gave a damn about hitting me, but they don't want to damage their paint on my club - they keep their distance.

20. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

College boys on rice-rockets are what you're referring to, and yeah...they make all bike riders look bad. However, the story I posted is just 1 of probably 5 times a day I have to do some sort of James Bond move to not get hit by some idiot on 4 wheels not looking. When you ride a bike, you drive your car/truck differently and watch for bikes. Those who don't ride bikes usually aren't looking for them or just plain don't give a damn.