close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How do net ads know where I live?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Caliburn, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Caliburn

Caliburn

I was looking at some car sites before and noticed that the ads on the side of the articles were all targeted to me: See cars in (name of neighborhood)!

How do they know where I am? Does my broadband IP (FIOS) identify me as being in this neighborhood? I always thought it was randomly assigned. The PC is clean of spyware etc.

I've seen places like that that list your IP address, that's pretty easy to do, but these were the first that named my town.

2. Brass Nazi

Brass Nazi NO BRASS FOR U!

They can tell where your ISP is.

3. TheDVDMan

TheDVDMan

4. Caliburn

Caliburn

5. Round Pounder

Round Pounder

It's randomly assigned but from a contiguous block of addresses that belong to your ISP. This concept is something known as "Classless Inter-Domain Routing," or CIDR, and was conceived of to help reduce the size of the Internet routing tables. It saved us from having to implement IPv6 before it was ready.

But there might be more to it than just your IP address. There might be a cookie w/ location data or something like that. It doesn't necessarily have to be full-blown spyware.

I would run an AdAware (http://www.lavasoftusa.com) scan or something like that, if you haven't already. Even that might not pick it up, though.