close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

how do i wireless access off a switch?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Wash-ar15, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Wash-ar15

Wash-ar15

I have a cable modem going to a wireless router going to a switch. I can wirelessly access the computers that are hooked up to any of the ports on the wireless router,but cannot access the ones connected to the switch.

Any ideas

TiA

2. Drjones

Drjones

Why do you have a wireless router AND a switch? Do you just have that many devices to connect?

3. dotsun

dotsun Shark Stomper

Either the patch cable is bad, or the switch is. Look for the pretty lights, are they blinking?

4. Wash-ar15

Wash-ar15

I have all 12 ports full. Everything that is plugged in works as it should. only the thing plugged into the 4 ports that are built in to the wireless router can access be accessed wirelessly.

5. Drjones

Drjones

Networking isn't really my expertise, but have you run the network setup wizard on all computers, ensured that file & folder sharing is enabled on each of them?

6. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Footlong Jr.

Do you get some kind of message that says they are not accessible or can you not see them at all in the network neighborhood?

7. Drjones

Drjones

Can I ask what you're trying to accomplish? File sharing? Remote support/access? What?

8. Wash-ar15

Wash-ar15

All the comps that are connected to the switch can not be accesed by my laptop wirelessly. only those that are connected the ports that are in the wireless router can be accessed wirelessly.

I just want to be able to access the other comps wirelessly through my laptop.

9. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

Just a few questions ...

Do they have access to the Internet from them?
    Can you ping them?
    Do you have any files or folders shared on them?
    What are the OS's?

Make sure all computers are members of the same workgroup.

10. fgutie35

fgutie35

Your setup, is backwards. Your cable modem should go to the switch first then connect your wireless router on one of the ports on the switch. The way you have it, keeps the router from propagating IP adresses to the devices connected to the switch.

11. Drjones

Drjones

That was my thought too.

12. kc8ykd

kc8ykd

I believe this is what you're suggesting:

cable modem -> switch (w/other computers) -> wireless router

if so, this most likely won't work.

If he's got a dynamic ip address for his service, the dhcp server on the cable provider's side is going to pick a mac address at random from one of the connected pc's and give it a real ip, thus rendering all of the other computers unable to access the internet and the connected pc essentially sitting on the internet, sans hardware firewall/nat device..

also, in that scenario, the wireless router would just be used as an AP and would be plugged into the switch only via one of the switch ports on the wireless router. if it were uplinked via the wan port on the wireless router, then all the traffic from the wireless devices would be natted and the switch side pc's wouldn't be able to access the wireless devices.

Wash-ar15, before you start making any changes at all, we need to know the results of Sgt. Schultz's questions.

Do they have access to the Internet from them?
    Can you ping them?
    Do you have any files or folders shared on them?
    What are the OS's?

most important are, do the machines on the switch have access to the internet and what operating system are they running.

his current setup of
    cable modem -> wireless router -> switch is the proper way to set it up.

if the computers on the switch can't get to the internet, then it's probable that the cable between the router and the switch needs to be changed out for a crossover, or needs to be put into a crossover port on the switch or router (assuming one exists). if the switch is managed in this scenario, then it would be worth checking for any stale vlans that the uplink or pc's may be connected to.

the switch will essentially spam the dhcp broadcast info across all the ports till it finds a recipient for it and establishes that relationship, so propagation of the ip addresses from the wireless router would occur normally, assuming the switch isn't managed. if it is managed, that broadcast traffic can be filtered or the uplink could be on a port that's vlanned, so it's config would need to be checked for either of those conditions.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  13. Drjones

Drjones

Forgive my ignorance, but you won't be able to "access" them per se; you could only get at folders that are specifically shared on each computer.

If you're looking to do remote support of some sort, that's a different game, if you're looking to do file sharing, you'd save yourself a lot of headaches by getting an NAS.

14. Sgt. Schultz

I agree with kc8ykd that this is wrong and won't work because most consumer switches (read cheap) are un-managed, also most (all ?) routers sold today have built in firewalls so you want everything behind it.

Hey Doc! It really depends on the OS ...

... XP is pretty good about talking to other XP boxes, even members of different workgroups without anything shared.

... Vista can be a pain in the a** even with everything configured correctly.

... Windows 7 needs to be configured before it will allow any access.

15. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

This may be redundant and incomplete but here goes:

The wireless device should allow a nearly unlimited number of computers, say 254. The wireless connections cannot be accessed through the switch as they are not able to access anything but the hard wired connection, period. The switch needs to be connected to the wireless router in the WAN port on it.

If you want to share the devices on the wireless connections some configuration to the firewall is needed .

No surprises here.

Also access the wireless outer and check it, via a PC hard wired to one of it's ports, for the number of available connections and increase them if needed. You can also assign the wireless computers addresses while you are at, it to help maintain security.

16. area727

area727 G23

Is your IP scheme the same between wired, and wireless computers? Do you have DHCP enabled on the router? Thus giving out the same IP scheme to both wired, and wireless computers? Example, do all computers have an IP of 192.168.1.x?

17. Wash-ar15

Wash-ar15

Appreiciate all the help here.

They are all running variants of xp.
    they have all been set for networking
    internet on all of the wired and wireless is fine. Very fast.
    all have been set to be able to share the main drive
    all run the same 192.168. ip

not sure if this matters
    my wireless router does not a uplink port like i have see non linksys stuff.

I just used a port on the wireless router and connected it to one of of the ports on the switch.

18. Drjones

Drjones

Hey Sarge!

I'm still trying to figure out what the end objective is here....access the other computers to monitor them, run programs on them remotely, access their files, provide remote support.....what?

Oh well.....hope you find the answer here, wash-ar15

19. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Footlong Jr.

Is the 2nd octet from the right the same on all the systems, or to put it another way, are they all on the same subnet?

If they all got their ip address via DHCP from the router they should be ok as far as the subnet.

Do an ipconfig/all on one of the switched systems and one of the systems on the router, what are the ipv4 addresses?

Can they all ping each other by ip address?

20. Sgt. Schultz

You haven't said if the computers are all members of the same workgroup.

If by "main drive" you mean the entire C: drive IMO that is not very smart, you should only share a folder or two.