close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How do I post pictures now that Photopoint is gone?

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by scorn, Sep 12, 2002.

1. scorn

scorn

How do I post pictures now that Photopoint.com is gone? Were do I have them hosted?

Specifically, I want to be able to post items for sale, with pictures.

thanks

2. igrp

igrp ut supra

scorn,

you can use any publicly accessable HTTP server to store images (or any data for that matter) - that's what Jon Postel (may he RIP) et al. had in mind when hyper text protocols were first designed and implemented.

So, basically, you can upload your data files to any server (provided that you have 'write' rights, ie. the server's administrator has designated some space on his server for you to use) and either inlude an anchor or link to that file or e.g. use inline imaging (see that button ;)).

Many ISPs offer webspace to their customers either for free or at minimal cost. There are also quite a few 'free' webspace providers that mostly user advertisement banners to generate revenue. Geocities.com is probably the most well-known but not necessarily the best. In addition, many companies offer professional web hosting services at quite reasonable prices.

If you need any further help or have any specific questions, please do not hesitate to reply and ask. I'd be more than happy to help you. :)

3. AAshooter

AAshooter

Igrp, did I ever mention your avatar is just kinda' creepy . . . I just don't like it lookin' at me.

4. MooseJaw

MooseJaw NRA Lifer CLM

Riiiiight... ;)

As if I had any idea of what you just said..

I thought I was doing pretty good when I could attach a smiley, and play w/ web site reference, bold out some text., etc..

Isn't there a way this "accessable HTTP server" could be just a button on the vB Code screen that we already use??

PLEASE??

5. Ninja Monkey

Ninja Monkey

Just upload pictures as attachments. Then GT hosts them and you don't need a third-party web server. The images won't be inline, but the modem users will probably thank you for that anyway.

6. glennda

glennda Dismembered Millennium Member

You can also use a site like Yahoo.

I have my website there and pay the $4.95/month to host it, but now I can link to any photo I need to post.

7. www.glock19.com

www.glock19.com ARRRGGGHHH!!!!