close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How Do I Make Candied Yams?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by DWavs, Apr 2, 2004.

1. DWavs

DWavs Moderator Moderator

This is my first year making the Easter dinner. How do I make those yams with marshmellows melted on top?

2. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

4 pounds yams
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    1 tablespoons ground cinnamon
    1 cup fresh pineapple juice
    1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
    1 cup cold water
    Small Marshmellows if desired

Peel yams and cut in one-inch pieces. Place yams in cold water until all yams are peeled and cut. Drain yams. Place cut yams in deep baking dish. Add sugar, pineapple juice, orange juice, and water. Sprinkle ground cinnamon over top of yams. Cover yams and bake in 400 degree preheated oven for approximately 40-50 minutes or until yams are fork-tender.
    For the last 15 minutes of cooking, top with marshmellows (if desired) and bake uncovered till marshmellows are gooey and nicely browned.

3. KrisLady

KrisLady

I tried something different for Thanksgiving last year. I sliced up the sweet potatoes, along with a couple of apples, and melted butter with brown sugar (and, as I recall, a bit of cinnamon and some nutmeg). I layered everything in a casserole dish -- a layer of sweet potatoes, then brushed the butter over, etc., almost like you would lasagna.

It needed to bake for quite a while (at least an hour), and it was really, really good. And certainly, nothing would stop you from putting the mini-marshmallows on top and browing them once the sweet potatoes are cooked through. I myself am not a big fan of marshmallows.

;f

Kris

4. nickg

nickg

my mom used to make them all the time. i hated them then and i STILL hate them now!!! ;0 ;0 ;0 ;0

5. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

Ditto.

BTW in the vegetable kingdom yams and sweet potatoes are two different animals. Most people have never had real yams but then, I yam what I yam. ;)

6. sigman69

sigman69

nasty stuff man.....