How do I keep the bones out of the soup?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by S2nd, Jul 21, 2005.

1. S2nd

S2nd One happy cat

I made chicken soup the old fashioned way with real chicken, but I boiled it a lot longer than I normally do, and the meat fell off the bones when I stirred it. No big deal getting the big bones out, but at the bottom of the pot, there were little pieces of bone fragments and ribs that pretty much made it inedible once the top layers were skimmed off.

I'm wondering, how could I keep the bones separated in the soup? I've heard of people using cheese cloths to boil the bones separately, does anyone have any experience with that?

By the way, the soup tasted really good, and I directly attribute that to slow boiling the meat and bones overnight.

2. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

It would have tasted just as good, even better, being "simmered" for 4 hours...
    Then you remove the intact chicken parts, let cool, and de-bone...

Toss the chicken back in and refrigerate...
    Remove cold sheet of fat in the morning...

Or to serve the same day, remove the parts and use a fat separator...
    [​IMG]

De-bone, shred chicken into large chunks and toss back in...
    Good time to add some chopped fresh Italian parsley...

Cooking the chicken too long will make for good broth, but will often cook
    a lot of the flavor out of the meat...

Bone Appateet!

;c

3. stooxie

stooxie NRA Life Member

Use a fine-mesh strainer.

It might seem like a waste but everything except for the stock itself is usually discarded after 4 or 5 hours of simmering. The mirepoix goes in for the last hour, and it gets the heave-ho as well.

Anything you actually want IN your soup is added as a proper ingredient after you have developed your stock. So, if you want chicken stock, take any meat off the bones first, simmer bones in water (about a pound of bones per quart of water [yup]) then add veggies for last hour, strain and discard everything. Then you can add back the meat and cook it only gently until it's done.

-Stooxie

4. Nicky D

Nicky D CLM

What about tying the chicken up in something like cheesecloth?? I think this is what is used for certain herbs?? You cook your broth with the chicken in the cloth then pull it out all intact when you are ready.

5. S2nd

S2nd One happy cat

Ah... I see. So broth first, preferably bones only, strain, and add ingredients. I'll have to pick up a cheesecloth, seems like that would make life a lot easer.

Thanks!

6. JasonNC

JasonNC CREATOR

My family is what I call a soup family. We would get together every Sunday at my grandmothers house and she would always have a big pot of chicken soup on and watch some football or play poker for change. This stuff soup GOOD!!!!!!!! The tomato's they used were grown fresh nd canned and they even made their own homemade noodles. Well anyway, I make it now for my family and rule #1 is DO NOT EVER let it boil. This can be hard as after an hour or two on the stove top, even low temps will make it boil but you have to keep your eye on it. Personally, the only deviation I made from the family recipe (with the exception of the homemade noodles and canned tomato's) is I use boneless chicken breast but when my mother comes down to visit, she likes me to use a whole chicken. So once the soup is fully cooked I use a slotted spoon and pull the chicken up piece by piece and debone it. This is why I deviated from the original recipe as I was sick of burning the **** out of my fingers

7. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

the liquid stock into another container-leave the bones in the pot.