close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How do I increase my virtual memory?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by betyourlife, Jul 6, 2006.

1. betyourlife

betyourlife on a GLOCK

I have been getting more and more low virtual memory warnings and my computer is running kinda slow these days. Might have something to do with the number of items I have on my start up menu, or a virus, though none of my virus programs have detected anything.

Is is this virtual memory thing? What is it exactly and how can I increase it?

2. 9mm Luger

9mm Luger GLOCK 26

First off when's the last time you have scanned for spyware??...Anti-Virurs programs will most likely not pick up on this problem.

Secondly if you are noting longer start up items they very well maybe the cause, many programs that you install need not run on startup. They will run in the background causing needless memory drain.

How much RAM do you have installed?

If you are experiencing low virtual memory drain that means that your RAM is over taxed forcing the memory to resort to the HD (where the virtual memory is kept) so the process will be slower.

I'd run S&D Search and Destroy a free program for starters to remove posssible spyware. http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Followed by CCleaner... http://www.ccleaner.com/

My guess is you are infested with spyware or have insufficient amount of RAM to support the apps you are running.

3. Hailstorm

Hailstorm Boom Shacka

Also, do a disk cleanup and defrag.

To increase your ram.
    Control panel
    System
    Advanced
    Performance settings
    advanced
    change

You'll have two boxes inital size and max. If you adjust your ram to 1 and a half times your actual ram. You should be good. Set this for both of the boxes and hit the box to reset it. Thats it.

As stated above , you may have other things going on. You cna downlaod a trial version of spysweeper, Ewido, adaware and go to trendmicro.com and run a antivirus scan online. It will look for malware as well. Remember prevention is the key. Do not use alot of programs to try to fix this. Odds are you'll infect your PC worse. The programs I suggest are clean and will help. Even spybot has bots. Also, update your machine. Sometimes a update can fix a issue.

4. Kevin108

Kevin108 THIS IS IN ALL CAPS

Right-click My Computer and click Properties
    [​IMG]

Click the Advanced tab and in the Performance box click the Settings button
    [​IMG]

Click the Advanced tab and in the Virtual memory box click the Change button
    [​IMG]

Click the ratio button for System managed size, click the Set button, and click OK.
    [​IMG]

Click OK for the rest of the boxes, Restart your computer and you'll be good to go!