close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How do I get rid of the welcome screen in XP

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by cassandra, Apr 8, 2007.

1. cassandra

cassandra

When my husband goes in his user account side, he doesn't have any of the same programs I have and the new MSN email account I set up for him doesn't even show. I can't even find Word or Excel or anything to drag an icon out for him.

How can I just get rid of these user accounts so that we just access the same desktop with all the same programs including the MSN log-on screen?? The more they try to overthink Windows the worse it gets. I can only imagine how awful Vista is.:upeyes:

2. Brass Nazi

Brass Nazi NO BRASS FOR U!

3. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

4. cassandra

cassandra

Thanks but you don't need a password to get through the welcome screen. You click on your icon and it takes you to your desktop, which seems sometimes like a completely different partition with different programs, different versions of MSN.

5. chbix

chbix

go into control panel under users and just delete all of the accounts except the one that you want to use. I would make sure that there arent any files or programs that he wants before you do it. This will allow it to boot right into windows without having to see the users screen.

On a side not, you should also have the guest user account turned off for security.

6. MikeG22

MikeG22 CLM

Start-> cntrl panel-> User Accounts -> Change the Way users log on and off -> Uncheck Use the Welcome Screen

7. Hokie

Hokie NRA Member

there are different start menus. one for each user and one for every user. You probable added the programs only to your start menu. If you stay with different users then just add the short cuts to the all users start menu.

8. Ljunatic

Ljunatic On The Fringe

9. HAVOC

Uh huh. I know. I'd ask if you tried what was in the link, but it's obvious you didn't. It'll do exactly what you want. As soon as XP is ready it'll plop you right on the desktop, just as if you clicked on your account icon. Or, he could just click the icon attached to your account.

10. Nyper

Nyper

That's a really helpful reply. I get soooo tired of seeing crap like this. Way to contribute. :upeyes:

11. cassandra

cassandra

Actually I did but I was in a hurry..think I can do this now only DH is used to having his own space and thinks I'm taking something away..sheesh.

w

12. HAVOC

That's harder to deal with.

What you can use is the Windows XP Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. It's in Programs > Accessories > System Tools. Log in as you, run it, just back up your stuff somewhere on the drive. Log out, log in as him, run that again and point it to the file you made. Put it in the C drive root for easy location. It'll basically make an exact copy of your account in his name. You'll have to go back to logging in individually, but all the shorcuts and such will be exact dupes.

13. cassandra

cassandra

thanks, I'll try it. Last night I went to his side and found Microsoft Publisher, and I didn't even know I had that. I couldn't find it on my side. It's like XP just divvied up the OFfice apps however.