GlockTalk Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
EMT-B
15,908 Posts
+1 a single pass or if your paranoid 2 will make the data unrecoverable. I believe someone was offering a million dollar prize for anyone who could recover data after being zero passed one time, no one stepped forward. IT's been proven that a single zero pass make it impossible to recovery 2 passes would reassure that. 35 passes is a waste of time.
My data, my time.

It runs in the background.

·
EMT-B
15,908 Posts
Do what I did. Take out the hard drive. Smash it to bits with a sledge hammer and throw it away. Give computer, as is, to Goodwill. I would never, ever give a computer away with the HD still in it.
Might as well just toss the useless hulk, if you want to give to Goodwill without a hard drive in it.

·
That's a Bingo!
4,527 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
An acetylene torch gets the job done fast, just makes sure you have a nice cross breeze, they let off some nasty gas.
That works! I defy anyone to retrieve any info from that molten mass. Then it's off to the recycler with the rest of it. Done.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
BTW, at one time the oxide was ground off HD platters with a belt sander, but as better tools were developed they found residual flux could be detected in the substrate. Last I heard HDs were burned in a pit for hours and then buried in secure locations.
I can't speak for all, but we degauss our hard drives up to and including secret systems. Above that I'm not sure, but I've heard rumors along the same lines as your post.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts