How do I delete everything off my hard drive?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by lonewolf01, Feb 6, 2010.

1. volky

volky NRA Member Millennium Member

Thanks for the smart *** reply. Next time someone needs answers on this subject, we'll just let you handle it.

2. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

Delete the partition and reinstall a clean OS (whatever the tag on the box lists) and updates. Then install a free Antivirus/firewall program, utilities etc ... Next send an e-mail to your kids teachers ... "computer available, free to a good home, no strings attached" they won't have any problem finding a student that can use your old computer.

3. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

I don't think that was an inappropriate reply. You opened the can when you brought up government data destruction standards. His reply (and I agree with it) is that most of us don't need to go to such lengths. The trick is to make recovering the data cost more than the bad guy thinks the data is worth. i.e., you don't have to outrun the bear - just outrun the other guy running from the bear. ;)

BTW, at one time the oxide was ground off HD platters with a belt sander, but as better tools were developed they found residual flux could be detected in the substrate. Last I heard HDs were burned in a pit for hours and then buried in secure locations.

4. 540mope

540mope

:rofl:...yeah, every website has idiots that offer nothing better than a wise *** reply

the military force has the right idea. i plan on tossing mine in the fire...after it gets the 2 lb hammer treatment

5. Conan1

Conan1

It would be better to use your Glock.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

6. Ralff

Ralff

Did you guys read the original post? He states that there is no sensitive information on the drive.

OP: If you have a Windows install CD (of almost any kind), it should format it for you. A DOS bootdisk would work as well.

7. KB2MBC

KB2MBC NRA Life Member

sledge hammer.

8. kiole

kiole

+1 a single pass or if your paranoid 2 will make the data unrecoverable. I believe someone was offering a million dollar prize for anyone who could recover data after being zero passed one time, no one stepped forward. IT's been proven that a single zero pass make it impossible to recovery 2 passes would reassure that. 35 passes is a waste of time.

9. magic

magic Mean Old Man

2 pounds of tannerite should do, but use 3 to be safe.

10. mike253

mike253 NRA - IWLA

No, it tells you that data forensics people know more about how easy it is to recover data than you do because they're experts on the subject and you aren't.

And that "military grade level information" (whatever that is) isn't nearly as important to the OP has his social security #, credit card #, or other personal information that could make ID theft or other fraud easy to commit against him is.

And finally, it tells us that you aren't a subject matter expert, though you seem to think you are.

They did pretty much the same thing with CDs for a while until they figured out that they were still able to read data after they were sanded down to almost nothing. Last I heard, CDs are sent through a shredder that turns them into very tiny pieces of confetti. Hard disks are degaussed a few times before they are physically destroyed.

Anyway, to the OP:

Unless someone is specifically targeting you, you don't have much to worry about. That being said, I don't dispose of hard drives, nor do I return them when they fail under warranty if I've stored any personal info on them.

I'm quite familiar with data forensics and I've seen and/or been involved with extracting data from all sorts of media that was physically damaged in an attempt to prevent recovery. I've also seen data recovered quite easily from media after various commercial "disk cleaner" apps were used.

Again though, those were targeted recoveries, not just happening upon some poor saps hard drive at the land fill.

If it were me, I'd seperate the drive and donate/recycle the rest. With my luck, some "down on his luck" hacker would get my machine from Good Will :)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  11. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

Do what I did. Take out the hard drive. Smash it to bits with a sledge hammer and throw it away. Give computer, as is, to Goodwill. I would never, ever give a computer away with the HD still in it.

12. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

If that's the case, then why does to want to wipe the HD?

Everybody has some sort of private data on their HD whether they remember it or not. Not worth the chance.

13. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

It doesn't have to be "state secrets." It could be pictures of his wife or children that could be photo-shopped and spread across the internet. Email conversations sent and received. Credit card purchases. And who knows what else you wouldn't want someone to be aware of?

14. FrogWithAGlock

FrogWithAGlock Girl with a Gun

Windows Washer is good, too.

15. CZ guy

CZ guy

16. Hooba

Hooba

+1
    I use this on all computers that our company is getting rid of.

17. BirdDog239

BirdDog239 Sheep Dog

This is really the best way to wipe a hard disk with out destroying it. Nothing will be recoverable and it is completely free. Just download the CD image, burn it and then boot your computer from the CD.

Some people get confused and say all you have to do is "Format" the drive. Formating a drive is not even close to the same as wiping a drive. All kinds of data can be recovered from a formated drive.

18. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

The physical destruction of a hard drive is as unecessary as it is silly to wipe the data. DBAN is a perfectly acceptable way to destroy data to the point that nobody would want to go through the effort to recreate it to get your credit card numbers.

Why hobble a perfectly good PC and render it unusable? The paranoia in this thread is a little unnerving.

Ccleaner (two-pass), DBAN, HDEraser and a host of cheap or free utilities out there will make the information gone to the point that you can rest assured it won't come back to bite you in the butt later. There is no "super-hacker" out there twisting his mustache as he scours the local GoodWill for surrendered PCs.

The "black hat" spys have much bigger fish to fry than the occasional credit card number that can, possibly, be lifted off of a formatted drive. Much less a wiped one.

19. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies