How do I convince my daughter and son in law to have kids?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ghostman1960, Oct 8, 2010.

1. ghostman1960

ghostman1960 Static Nomad

They have been married for almost three years now and there has been zero talk from them about having children. I have brought it up to my daughter once and she gave me the "look" so I didn't press the matter.

I am not getting any younger and I want grandchildren in the worst way. I can't put my finger on it but I want to spoil some more kids before my time is up. I can only spoil my eight year old son so much. He has everything. Plus I think that grandchildren should have a younger uncle to grow up with.

I know I should MYOB about and I have for the most part but I can't help wanting grandkids. Any suggestions?

2. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

You don't. If you want kids YOU raise them.

3. jmorri30

jmorri30

I'd be careful trying to force something that may not be happening for a reason. There might be some adversity in their marriage that couldn't handle the extra stress of a new baby, or some other similar issue. Sometimes you just have to be patient.

Good luck

4. garyjandfamily

garyjandfamily

I have a strict policy in my life - one that has served me well.

I NEVER get involved in anyone else's reproduction.

And this would be the perfect place to apply this rule...

5. uhlawpup

uhlawpup l'Italia s'è desta

Ghostman, you might be doing any potential grandchildren a disservice if you force them on your daughter. My mom wanted grandkids, too. We weren't able to have any, and she accepted that.

If you really have a need to spoil some more kids, there are hundreds of them in state care or shelters from abused homes that would love to adopt you as a grandpa.

6. bluenoise

bluenoise

Exactly. Besides, what kind of parents would they be if there was nothing "internal" driving them to want them? Maybe they'd come around and be great, but I have a feeling the odds are against that.

7. RichJ

RichJ

Whatever you do, don't bring them to my house! After ten minutes they are guaranteed to rush straight to the doctor for some prescription contraceptives. :supergrin:

8. Y-NotG23

Y-NotG23

Ya do what my parents did.

Give up on it ever happening.

My wife and I were married 13 years before having our son.

My mother gave up after about 6 years. :shocked:

9. johnd

johnd

Yes, MYOB
    If you want babies around then adopt.

If they dont want kids then thats their decision.

10. badge315

badge315

So, you want your daughter (dare I say expect) to take on the biggest responsibility a human being can in order to indulge your whims? That's about as selfish a statement as I think I've ever seen. :upeyes:

11. ray9898

ray9898

You don't. It is there choice. There is nothing more annoying than someone trying to butt into stuff that is none of their business. They will have kids when the time is right for them if they choose to have children, as it should be.

12. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Tag. I give this one 3 pages. ;)

13. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

GlockTalk's passion for thread locks compares only to the desire of old folks to have grandchildren. :supergrin:

14. tehan2

tehan2 NRA & GOAL

Ignoring Connecticut's Unconstitutional laws
    what if they don't want kids? what if they can't have kids?

your pushing her is incredibly insensitive.

There are far too many unwanted kids in the world.

Now my story. . . my wife and I never wanted to have kids, truth be told, I don't like them. we were married about 6 years when my wife (over a glass of wine) stated that she didn't think her life would be complete without a child. so after a long discussion we decided to have a child. In the next 2 years, my wife miscarried 4 times and each time was harder than the first. The whole time, both our families were pushing for us to have kids. EVERY time the topic came up, there were many nights of not sleeping and many tearful nights. Nobody knew that we were "trying" and the "pestering" only put a wedge between us and our families.

Eventually God blessed us with 2 beautiful/healthy daughters. Although I love them more than anything, I still don't like(other people's) kids.

And for the grandparents that "needed" us to have kids, they live 1700 miles away and see them 2xs a year. Before we moved, we lived 40 miles away and they saw them 4xs a year.

15. Billy10mm

Billy10mm

Excellent post. I'm with you 100% on this.

16. redbaron007

redbaron007 Some Dude Lifetime Member

No Offense intended, ghostman1960, but MYOB!!!!

As someone else stated, there could be a reason that you are not aware of for them not having kids; mentally or physically. Forcing the issue beyond a casual comment may create tension that YOU or YOUR wife don't want to start or add.

Patience my friend!! :supergrin:

:wavey:

red

17. taster

taster

Sorry but if they don't want to have children it's none of your business.

18. JoeCitizen

JoeCitizen

As you know, kids are a gargantuan, life-altering, life-long responsibility. To "lean on" your daughter and son in law to "pop one out quick" so your longing can be satisfied is, to put it nicely, short sighted. To put it bluntly, it's selfish. And it's one very quick ticket to a sharp decrease in communication with your daughter. My wife and I were subjected to this years ago and it still gets my blood up when I think about it. I'm 47 now and my blood pressure is up just typing this. So yeah, what your doing IS NOT without consequences.
    I am truely sorry if I've gone over board. And everybody is different.
    My daughter will be getting married soon and I'm glad I was on the receiving end of it so long ago. She will never hear from me "so, when you gonna give me a grandkid?" It's none of my business. It will be between her and her husband. They are the ones who face the huge, frightening responsibility and I haven't forgotten how that feels. Maybe you have forgotten, I don't know. I choose to stand behind them no matter what they decide about having children.
    Please, if I've gone over board, forgive me. It's just something I'm passionate about and I hate to see you damage anything when It's clear you have no intention of doing that.

19. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

Uh, Why would you want them to have kids when they dont want to?

They might not be ready.....

20. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Exactly. It's their businesses and nobody else's.