close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How do I blank out my HD?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by CalGlock, Jan 15, 2006.

1. CalGlock

CalGlock

I want to reformat it but it won't do it unless it's a clean HD or one with nothing on it. If I try to do mine it just sets at windows set up. But if I put a smaller HD in with nothing on it I can get it to start setting it up. Thanks , Dennis

2. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

3. CalGlock

CalGlock

Is there a way to be able to do it from the main drive then just stick the new windows in. Thanks, Dennis;e

4. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

Ummm... when you say a SMALLER HDD works... just how big is the one causing problems? More to the point how big is the partition your trying to install to?

There's no reason in the world that Windows can't format a drive so it can install itself. There's something else going on besided the drive not being blank. Could even be just a broken drive, Is this smaller drive connected to the same port in the system.

More information is needed, but I don't think you have the problem you think you have.

5. CalGlock

CalGlock

I don't understand it either. Thats why I tried it on an old HD I had but a small one. Seems to download windows XP on that. Yes same port. What else is weird it only lets me put it on D/ drive says not enough room on c/ drive.

6. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

Does this bigger drive have a Windows installation on it now? Have you tried deleting and recreating partitions before you tell it to install? Is this a Dell or HP or something PC, with that "C" partiton being a 5 or 10 or whatever MEGAByte diagnostic partition?

7. CalGlock

CalGlock

Yes it has Windows installed on it now the bigger one. When I put in the Pro XP to install it it gives me just 3 chioces. C without enough space it says and d with enough space and other without enough space. No formating instructions. So I clicked D since thats the only one that it would let it install. It's a HP that came with 7 disk that used to work fine untill I used the part where you can leave your files in there. Now I can't even get those to even start recovery. And I have done that about 10 times and it always worked till I tryed to keep my files. It just gets to the part where it starts recovery program and doesn't start the recovery. So now I'm stuck with D drive and next time I need to do a reformat the new pro just gets stuck at windows set up then nothing happens. I also tried that disk on the smaller HD Worked fine. The seven disk I have from HP gets to the 2nd disk on the s
    mall HD then at 30% of download it says Problem in extracting files.
    When I was was trying to use the HP disk to completely do a new install it would get to the 6th disk and skip right through it. Not completing the install. Now it just gets stuck at the recovery part. wierd to me.
    The onl way I can think of next time I have to do a reinstall,is to put Pro XP on the little HD and transfer it on to the bigger one. But there must be a better way.;g

8. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

And there is!

Got Broadband and a CD burner?

Then this is the answer to your computer woes.

It has several disk-erasing apps on it--including Autoclave.

20 to 25 passes with Autoclave alternately writing 0's and 1's to the drive will prevent even the NSA from getting any data from that drive.

That's just impressive. And just think...this CD is FREE for the downloading.

I use it frequently in my line of work. It is what I reach for first when I need to fix the very problem you are seeing there.

Good luck!

9. CalGlock

CalGlock

AutoClave (Discontinued) :( No longer supported

10. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Lucky me--I have an older version.

The other disk wiping utils there will work to fix your problem.

The only SURE way to hide data from a curious NSA tech is to melt it into slag...so Autoclave isn't necessary.

I did not know that it ws no longer included, but you'll be fine with Boot -n- Nuke.

11. CalGlock

CalGlock

Thanks alot for the help.;)