How do I achieve this goal??

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by DannyB KY, Mar 9, 2007.

1. DannyB KY

DannyB KY Guest

I have a fitness test I want to pass. This test will come in the next month.

The test sounds kinda funny, but try it! Currently, I'm toast in about 2 minutes! I'm out of breath. To pass the test, you have to do it for 5 minutes and don't skip a beat! Skipping a beat or faultering in any way fails the test. I gotta pass this!!!!!

Heres the test. Stand in front of a 12inch arobics type step. At 120 steps(beats) per minute, step up onto the step, then step back. Starting from the floor, you go up, up, down,down, up, up, down,down for 5 minutes.

Heres an online metronome. You can check the speed at 120 beats a minute. Each click is a step.

http://www.metronomeonline.com/index.php?/default.asp

What would be the fastest/best way to "train" for this????

Part of my exercise is heavy weights to build thigh muscles and hard runs for 8 min on the treadmill. I have the 12 inch step.

Help!!!!

2. DBradD

DBradD Guest

I have no doubt that it's much harder than it sounds. The good news is that it seems like that this type of performance improves quickly.

I'm not claiming to be an expert, and I have no idea what fitness level you're starting at, so take what I type with a grain of salt if it's too little or too much.

I were "training for that test," I'd try several things:

1. Repeat the test several times per week, giving it your best shot each time. Do it, then rest 5 min. and do it again, several rounds. The number of times per week and number of rounds depends on your fitness level and recovery speed. That's up to you. Don't wear yourself down or do it enough to hurt yourself. If you start to feel joint pain, then back off. If you're still sore from a previous workout, take another day off.

2. Do other exercises that increase your ability to work in that timeframe, but don't tear down thigh muscles. Burpees, squat thrusts, etc., max number in 5 minutes, repeated several times with 5 min. rest in between, for example. I think you need to train for max energy output in 5 minutes, not 10 min. or whatever. I might get slammed by our buddies here, but I'd skip the weight training and treadmill except for using them to devise hideous 5 min. workouts like max treadmill distance in 5 min. repeated several times. Squatting for reps is of limited usefulness toward your goal, IMO, and increases recovery time. Your stated goal was "this test," not overall long-term health.

3. Make sure you get a good pre-workout meal. The goal is to make sure that your glycogen (carbs stored in your muscles) is maximized. A book I just finished recommended 400 calories, 2 hours before a workout (or 600, 3 hours before) composed to medium-GI (low fiber) fruit like bananas, peaches, cantaloupe, or apple sauce (no sugar added) with a protein with branch chained amino acids, such as eggs or whey protein powder. They recommended a 4:1 carb to protein ratio, so you could try 300 calories of carbs (70-80g) and 75 calories (15-20g) of protein. I've tried this a few times lately and I think it helps me.

4. Post-workout meal to help you recover for next time. Your muscles should absorb high-GI carbs (usually would just spike your bood sugar) much better shortly after your workout. The book recommended something like: 20 oz fruit juice, protein powder, 2-3 pinches of salt taken as soon as it can be stomached. I think this helps me.

Keep us updated.

DBD

3. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Very good advice Brad.

So good that I can't even add anything else.

4. DBradD

DBradD Guest

You are too kind.

Then again, I am a 2nd degree charlatan--being an expert at SOUNDING LIKE I know what I'm talking about even when I don't, LOL. Staying in that Holiday Inn Express last night didn't hurt either.

5. DannyB KY

DannyB KY Guest

:animlol:

I'm taking the weekend off from any lifting or running. Starting Monday, the step!!

6. Matt VDW

Matt VDW Millennium Member

Are you supposed to be stepping up and back twice a second? That seems really fast.

7. DBradD

DBradD Guest

They probably intend each footfall to be at 1/2 second timing whether it's on the ground or on the step.

If so, then that's not too fast. I do floor vibrations research, so study this stuff ad nauseam. Normal human comfortable walking frequencies are somewhere between 110 bpm and 120 bpm. Use a stopwatch to time somebody and you'll see. Really fast walking is about 140 bpm. Over 150 bpm requires running for most folks. Strangely enough 95-100 bpm also feels weird for most healthy folks.

Doing this on a step would be what I'd call "brisk," but not really fast.

I have an amazing story that's almost on the subject now. A colleague and I vibration tested a 600 ft wide x 120 ft cantilevered balcony about 6 months ago. It probably weighs about 2-3 million pounds. We measured the natural frequency and it was really low, like 165 bpm and I stood out on the tip and bounced fairly gently up and down at that frequency. My buddy was 300 ft away and said that he could feel it and would rate it as "uncomfortable." Resonance is the most incredible physical phenomenon that I know of.

The owners were concerned because in a previous concert, the band played a song that just happened to have the beat at about 82 bpm. A chunk of the audience stood during the song and were bouncing at about 2x82=164 bpm (clap-bob-clap-bob, over and over) and the balcony really got moving. From looking at the balcony using the audience cameras, it looked to be moving about 6 in. up and down. They were afraid that there would be a panic and stampede. Now that's cool.