How do harley riders get away with straight pipes?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Syclone0538, Aug 4, 2020.

1. SWFlGuy

SWFlGuy Lifetime NRA member

Lol. Sidewalk commando? Ok.
    Don’t do 25 in a 45 and you may not get passed. We get people who can’t drive from all over down here.
    And the last thing that I think about is what you think while I’m riding.

2. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

What do you light up?

That sounds like a really fast bike though.

3. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

What is a sidewalk commando?

4. SWFlGuy

Lol, the eardrums of the unexpecting innocent drivers lost in their beach vacations mostly

Edit: it’s a 900 lb Harley. Not really a race bike.

5. Intolerant

Intolerant

You`re right! Harley hurt their own brand, thats their own fault. Another issue that is ruining it, is all those mom & pop parents went out and bought bikes, left their children with babysitters, never bothered to teach their kids how to ride. These kids today are not even interested in riding. Kids today are whining about handouts, you owe me attitudes, rebelling, protesting, rioting. Their version of a free ride is much different than what our version of a ride is. The motorcycle industry is being hit hard all across all brands. Look at what they expect you to pay for a bike these days, says alot.

redrick likes this.
  6. Intolerant

Intolerant

To bad Erik Buell went out of business. Friend of mine had a Buell, it ran strong!

On April 15, 2015, Erik Buell Racing filed for receivership, with a reported $20 million of liabilities, and ceased all operations including closing down their website.

FullClip likes this.
  7. Intolerant

Intolerant

Dosent take much to ruin it for the rest of us.

newglocker10mm likes this.
  8. Agonizer

Agonizer Unmasked

When I used to ride I always used ear plugs. Just to protect my ears from the wind noise and loud trucks etc. Wind noise is quite loud in itself, and especially on a longer trip.

I never had straight pipes, but loved the sweet sound of the shorty turn-out mufflers.

I have owned 14 different Harleys in my lifetime so far. I am 65 now, and don't know if I will ever ride again, although my DL is still good for that.

redrick, clancy, Upgrayedd and 2 others like this.
  9. Intolerant

Intolerant

Back when i bought my first Harley, there was a waiting line. You were put on a list, IF, you had a hefty deposit next to your name. Use to be a two year wait to get your Harley. Any life long older Harley rider knows how it use to be.

Harley screwed themselves by flooding the market with their brand. The more product available, the less yours is worth. I think our local dealer is barely hangin on. I predict many dealerships will be disappearing soon. Harley also FORCED their dealers to take on HUGE amounts of clothing. Harley forced alot of dealers to build new dealerships as well. Harley came into dealerships and wanted their dealers to move to a new BIG store, closer to bigger highways to attract customers.

Harley screwed themselves as well as their dealers. I blame Harley for their business practices.

SevenSixtyTwo likes this.
  10. mike from st pe

mike from st pe

I think I have a buyer for the bridge I have for sale!

Doc Holliday likes this.
  11. clancy

clancy Oh, for a muse of fire

This pretty much fits the definition. Jerks with straight pipes who just have to let everyone within 5 miles know they are around.

View: https://youtu.be/xGyKBFCd_u4

12. SWFlGuy

13. SevenSixtyTwo

SevenSixtyTwo

Back around 1985, I was working in an elevator machine room on the roof of a building in Fort Myers. I heard a couple of Harley’s cackling and occasionally roaring off and coming back. I stepped out where I could see and it was two cops on Police Special Superglides going after speeders. Both bikes had drag pipes.
    When I was little in early ‘60’s, in Macon Georgia, the local sheriff deputy had a Dodge police car with loud dual exhaust. You could hear him all over town. Music when he went after speeders.
    This thread reveals that conservatives have turned into crybabies offended by everything no different than Democrats. I never realized how juvenile conservative gun owners could be until GT.
    My quiet, properly tuned S&S carbureted 28 year old Harley starts easily and is ready to ride easy for the first ~1 mile as it warms up.

14. pspez

pspez

When I bought my 2005 Ultra I had the Stage 1 upgrade with the Screaming Eagle pipes. I hated those pipes and lived with them for 14 years and then had Rineharts installed. Got a bug up my butt and 7 months later bought a new Ultra and LOVE the stock pipes. I'm keeping them on.

SevenSixtyTwo likes this.
  15. 5.45 Shooter

5.45 Shooter

That's nothing but BS. The loud sound is behind you when going fast, any thing that you may hit will be in front of you. Or has the loud noise shook your brain enough that you can't figure it out.
    The big problem with motorcycles is the speed. Most every bike on the road will open it up on the straightaways. I live on a straight road & a MC club at the end. The bikers come flying down the road at way over the speed limit of 30 MPH. If you are looking for some thing going 30 mph you won't be looking far enough down the road to see the bike going 60 mph. But it I pull out of my driveway it's my fault that I don't see any thing coming.

Syclone0538 and Doc Holliday like this.
  16. SWFlGuy

17. Bullwinkle J Moose

Bullwinkle J Moose Quick! Duck!

An unemployed mall ninja?

Or it reveals that many more people used to have more balls than brains. Everything is relative to one’s viewpoint.

18. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Jumped the shark....anything to make a dollar...LMAO when I see this garbage:

upload_2020-8-6_7-51-40.png

Intolerant likes this.
  19. SWFlGuy

I’m sure they care

20. DrewBone

DrewBone

"...to draw attention to their manly selves?" Are you really that naive?

Many bike riders, regardless of their bike or it's exhaust system, "blip" the throttle when downshifting towards a stop sign or signal light and just before releasing the clutch, whether they're riding a Honda CB450, BMW K 1600, or a "Harley". And most crotchrockets (below a liter), if they want to get any power during take off, have to rev up to increase the RPM's as their engine's short stroke provides no bottom end at low RPM's, and I've heard many a loud crotch rocket with a small single exhaust pipe screaming...they just dont possess the thunder that the larger displacement V-twin bikes have, the latter of which don't need to overrev because by virtue of their design they produce much more lower end torque than the smaller bore inline engines do.

Not drinking and driving will keep everyone on the road safer whether they're on a bike or in a cage. And about the drunks? The vast majority of them found traveling on our roadways are found behind the wheel of an automobile, so if I were you I'd be more worried about your fellow cagers surrounding you while piloting their near silent 2+ ton 4 wheeled vehicles - than those riding bikes with "loud pipes".