How do harley riders get away with straight pipes?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Syclone0538, Aug 4, 2020.

1. as400guy1

as400guy1

Actually was an honest, non-trolling question.
    I live on a busy corner and i hear them constantly, sounding like they are about to stall, forcing the rider to rev the engine.

Intolerant likes this.
  2. Intolerant

Intolerant

Oh trust me, i know what you`re saying. I know you wernt trolling. I cant argue the point because i see the same thing YOU see with these fools out there. The majority of them are idiots with no common sense about them. I quit ridin with the majority of them. When i did ride with them, i always rode in the rear of the pack, watching for all the mistakes they would make. Every damn stop sign was a fiasco with these plastic card riders.

EDIT:
    Let me also add, that alot of these harley riders came from jap bikes. When you leave from a stop with a jap bike, you have to spin the motor up more than you do with a harley when you first take off. Harley`s can take off very easy from a stop due to huge heavy crank flywheels with barely any throttle applied... the rotating heavy crankshaft mass makes it much easier. Now take these "fresh off the jap, now on to the harley", they carry over their riding style onto the harley. Some people figured it out, some never do. Some just like to be stupidly loud and obnoxious on purpose... the throttle seems to be their imaginary tool in their pants.

Again, these harley`s normally dont stall...
    what you`ve got in your neighbor hood is idiots that WANT to just annoy people.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    newglocker10mm and jmohme like this.

3. Ollies930

Ollies930

There are two main reasons why Harleys would sound like they are ready to stall. One reason has to do with the weather and your driving habits. My 124" 12.5-1 compression engine in the middle of summer in Phoenix would melt into the asphalt in stop and go traffic. Harleys are air cooled (most of them anyways) engines and as such rely on cool air moving past the cylinders and heads to cool them. When the air is 115 degrees and stagnant, the engine heats up, the pistons grow bigger than the cylinders and the added friction makes it harder for the engine to turn over (until it doesn't anymore). The other reason is that some people revel in the potatoe, potatoe sound and actually decrease the idle to just before it stalls to get the sound that they think is cool. I used to build high performance Harley engines a long time ago and you would not believe some of the stuff people wanted to do to their bikes.

Intolerant likes this.
  4. poles19

poles19

I'm sure it's been covered by now but a lot of exhausts have baffles in them. I rode for years with a loud exhaust, never had a problem with the police.

SevenSixtyTwo and Intolerant like this.
  5. Intolerant

Intolerant

Same here... i`ve NEVER been pulled over for pipes on ANY of my bikes, harley`s or otherwise.
    But, then again, i`m respectful of others and dont twist the wick to get attention either.

SevenSixtyTwo likes this.
  6. Intolerant

Intolerant

At my harley dealership for a few years, they had a metal sign posted at the entrance with a set of pipes twisted in the shape of a pretzel. It was to warn riders to chill out with the loud exhaust because of all the complaints. Yet these loud fools started complaining right back, sayin, "aint nobody gonna tell me to be quite with my harley". Uhhh huhhhh, here`s your ticket dumbass.

newglocker10mm and SevenSixtyTwo like this.
  7. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

I rode Harleys for a long time. My preference was an aftermarket exhaust to breathe a little better than stock and therefore a little louder. Never had a problem, never pulled over for loud pipes.

During my youth I was into dirt bikes for a while. I had a 250cc two stroke with an expansion chamber and a stinger. This was my loudest, most obnoxious bike. Hearing wise, I’m still paying for it every day.

8. jmohme

jmohme

9. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

Pretty sure that’s an aftermarket crate motor in the video. I miss Harleys that shake at idle. They quit doing that with the twin cam B motor and the more recent Milwaukee motor. They used to shake at idle but smoothed out with acceleration.

Intolerant likes this.
  10. Ollies930

Ollies930

And BTW, Intolerant, I completely agree with you on the capabilities of the "plastic riders". I used to work for Titan Motorcycles in Florida and we had a customer pick up his brand new bike, acted like he new everything there ever was or will be about motorcycles, popped an impromptu wheelie and ended up in a raised flower bed in front of the dealership. The first couple of feet went really well, but that damn clutch....and where the hell is the brake anyways?
    And then there are the squids on sportbikes, thinking that they are the reincarnation of Joey Dunlap and dragging knees in blind turns on high traffic roads. I used to road race on the track so I am not against dragging your knee, on the track, in full gear, everybody heading in the same direction, knowing the condition of the track, etc. But those shenanigans have a time and place and public streets are not it.

11. OXMYX

OXMYX

Luckily the last dude in my neighborhood retired his bike.

His cigarette runs down to the local quik mart were getting obnoxious.

mike from st pe and Doc Holliday like this.
  12. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Friends Call Me "Flash"

My Harley Sportster XL1200C was the favorite out of all 30 of my motorcycles! I loved that bike and see it driven down the street almost every day by its new owner- my neighbor.

That 1200 cc air cooled "EVO" twin engine was carburetor fed and I loved the ride and everything about that bike. It was slightly older and I bought it with 100 original miles on the clock. It came stock with the BUELL high performance cam, belt drive and ran like a scalded cat! The bike scared the crap out of the original owner, so he just parked it.

The EVO system tamed engine vibration and it was a beautiful bike visually.

The only problem I had with the Harley, was after riding down the road and stopping at a light or stop sign, the engine loaded up and, if I didn't BURP it, would die when I tried to resume riding. Yes, that required two "blips" of the throttle before I started moving. That accounted for the "Hotshot" style throttle bumps on MY motorcycle. Actually, it prevented an embarrassing stall in traffic!

Can't speak to any other bikes or any other riders. That's how it was with MY XL1200C.

Flash

13. CrashFF00

CrashFF00

Lost half my post.. drats

My sister used to work in a Harley dealership that had a sign up on their shop doors that read "Be considerate of our neighbors and keep the engine noise down. No revving engines please." (Their nearest neighbor was a police station)

Of course people would love to mock the sign and ignore it, especially when the dealership held ride-ins. The cops, however, would take great joy in pulling over people by the dozens and writing $100 tickets. vehicle noise ordinances required a muffler to be installed (not just straight pipes) and the noise levels could not exceed factory dba measurements for the engine with a factory muffled exhaust installed, so it didn't matter if it was a custom build bike or not.

14. Intolerant

Intolerant

Ohhhhhh man, i guarantee that you an i could share some damn funny AND stupid stories. I`m retired due to disabilities now, but i built MANY a drag race v-twins (pro-fuel) right up until the last season of the screamin eagle nationals before that program got axed. Last SE race i was at was in Ohio (Norwalk - Summit Raceway Park). Seen ALOTTA dumb chit over the years just made me giggle. I watched a newbie pre-stage, stage, held the throttle wide open waitin on the tree... he red lights... bike wheelies, takes a hard left out from under him, smashed right into the concrete wall. BRAND SPANKIN NEW SPORTSTER 1200!!! ZERO MILES!!! Oh yeahhhh, seen some real dumbasses in my day....lol.

mike from st pe likes this.
  15. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

Here is the law of every vehicle sold for on road use in the USA. That is the law. What you get away with might be different.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/40/205.52

§ 205.52 Vehicle noise emission standards.
    (a) Low Speed Noise Emission Standard. Vehicles which are manufactured after the following effective dates shall be designed, built and equipped so that they will not produce sound emissions in excess of the levels indicated.

Effective date Level
    (i) January 1, 1979 83 dBA.
    (ii) January 1, 1988 80 dBA.
    (b) The standards set forth in paragraph (a) of this section refer to the sound emissions as measured in accordance with the procedures prescribed in § 205.54-1,2.

(c) Every manufacturer of a new motor vehicle subject to the standards prescribed in this paragraph shall, prior to taking any of the actions specified in section 10(a)(1) of the Act, comply with the other provisions of this subpart or Subpart A, as applicable.

(d) In-Use Standard. [Reserved]

(e) Low Noise Emission Product. [Reserved]

16. NAZG26

NAZG26 Lost in transit

Harley is going down the tubes. In 20 years there won't be many riders left.

mike from st pe and Intolerant like this.
  17. clancy

clancy Oh, for a muse of fire

I have seen guys ticketed by the troopers for loud exhaust more times than I can count. And many of them weren't running straight pipes. I remember having a trooper stick his nightstick up the exhaust of my Sportster, hard enough to knock the baffles loose, and then give me a ticket for running straight pipes. The best though was the motorcycle roadblock that had maybe 30 bikes pulled over and waiting for flatbeds because the bikers weren't wearing DOT approved helmets. Everybody on a bike was stopped, and if their helmet wasn't legal, they were not allowed to leave. Quite a few of them were from Long Island and NYC and they were pretty much screwed, being 2-4 hours from home with no way to get home. I can only imagine what the ticket, the tow and the impound fee must have cost them.

18. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

Nope. HD is going to downsize a bit and be just fine.

19. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Last bike I had was a Buell Ulysses. Basically a Harley engine. No straight pipes, but had a bypass valve controlled by the computer that "optimized" back pressure. It was great fun to downshift and go wide open up a long hill.

As one magazine review said, "like getting whacked with God's own 9-iron".

20. Resqu2

Resqu2

I was standing along side of interstate a few weeks ago with a few VA State Troopers when at least a few hundred Hd’s went by on the opposite side and I know they all had straight pipes and the continuous roar was like music. We all just stood and watched them roar by.