How do harley riders get away with straight pipes?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Syclone0538, Aug 4, 2020.

1. The GAK

The GAK

Easy, noise dampening devices are heavily regulated class 3 devices. You know, like assassins use silencers, so, like, we should all regularly damage our hearing and stuff, cuz, like, you know??

To honestly answer your question, many motorcycle groups actually JOINED FORCES to put forth the fact that yes (as much as I hate this quote) " Loud pipes save lives". Depending on your municipality, there very well may be a "noise limit" though.

2. Ollies930

Ollies930

I ride a Confederate with a 124" evo based V-twin with open pipes. Quite loud, but only obnoxious when I get on it. The pipes are there to achieve max HP ([email protected] wheel) and I always drive it as quietly as possible, which is not that difficult with very tall gearing. At the same time I get incredibly irritated by all the idiots that think they are cool or tough by making as much noise as possible.
    On another note, since somebody brought up a ring a ding ding exhaust note, I got pulled over in Scottsdale by the local PD on my 1983 Yamaha RZ350 (2 cylinder 2 stroke with expansion chambers) a couple years ago. The young officer walked up to me and asked me what kind of ridiculously stupid exhaust I had on my bike to make it sound like a damn 2 stroke. "Well officer, that is because it kind of is a 2 stroke!" was my somewhat careful retort. After a somewhat uncomfortable silence, I was asked for d/l, insurance and registration and a coupe of minutes later I was handed my paperwork up and was told to keep it down(which I was doing anyways). Might not have gone so well had I not stifled my first response to laugh and therefore offend the young officer's (rookie?) sensibilities.

3. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

Easy. If you pull 'em over, you have to smell them.

FullClip and mike from st pe like this.
  4. Caver 60

Caver 60

I've only read the first half dozen or so posts. Nobody seems careful around here.

Out in the country I can hear them coming from 1 1/2 miles away. In town, I don't know how they get away with all that noise.

If I were an LEO, I'd use a pad of tickets a day writing citations. It's just plain stupid to run loud pipes. On Harley's as well as pickup trucks and lots of regular vehicles.

5. WT

WT Millennium Member

It's to piss off the citizens.

That is why many bikers wear Iron Crosses or Swastikas, 1% patches, FTW patches, purple wings, and so on. Gets the citizens all riled up .

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  6. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

Montana has no muffler or exhaust noise laws. If the officer THINKS the vehicle is too loud - he can cite it - but that's very rare.

There are wide-open ratrods here with zoomies and weed burners - no mufflers and they cruise mostly this time of year because they won't run in the snow and ice.

Bikers are the same - no actual laws that are either enforced or written.

7. Intolerant

Intolerant

:laughing:ohhhhhh damnnnnnn i love that!!! :animlol:

mike from st pe likes this.
  8. Intolerant

Intolerant

Oh, ok, yeah sorry, my mistake, must be my wife`s softail is different. I can be in my truck, windows up, she`s behind me, i CAN hear her bike with no problem. But yet, her bike is not even close to being stock. I built the motor, stroker crank, big bore forged pistons, gear drive cams, i dyno tuned it, and it IS, piped. Yeah, it`ll rip your arms off. Its an animal, and she prefers it that way.

Loud & Proud, that`s my ole`lady ;)

SevenSixtyTwo likes this.
  9. Intolerant

Intolerant

Makes my day to piss off liberals ;)

10. glock collector

glock collector

I have a busa with an open header, I'd warm it up for 20 min @6 am with the garage door open, before riding to work...the only whiners in my hood were the bums without jobs that sleep in.

BOOSTED12A and Intolerant like this.
  11. Intolerant

Intolerant

I never do that with MY harley. It never stalls either. Some people are just idiots.

newglocker10mm likes this.
  12. as400guy1

as400guy1

Actually, with my windows rolled up and my radio on, i can't hear bikes.
    However, if it was really about safety, you would paint them bright yellow, and install streamers and flashing amber lights.
    I hate the radios turned up so loud because of the loud pipes. How stupid is that?
    Definitely hate the idjits that run up the shoulder during bad traffic. Those are the ones i throw rocks at.

13. SWFlGuy

SWFlGuy Lifetime NRA member

Y’all should stop a few of them and get all Karen about it. :chatter:

14. Pete Perfection

Pete Perfection

Loud pipes are Trumps fault.

BOOSTED12A likes this.
  15. Sprinkler Fitter

Sprinkler Fitter

If loud pipes save lives, why do people get hit by trains? Aren't they loud? Going in one direction, but people get hit by them, watch YouTube.

My wife is loud and proud also, but in the bedroom.

16. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

17. as400guy1

as400guy1

Good idea.

Yeah...we know.

Intolerant likes this.
  18. Intolerant

Intolerant

So they have a motorcycle on their sign there... seems to be discriminatory to me. Motorcycles aren`t the only thing thats loud. Here in NYS, its 90db, no vehicles on our signs. On some of the bigger hills, they use to have semi-trucks pictured on the signs, didnt want truckers using JAKES going down hill. I haven`t seen those signs in awhile now. I think somebody raised hell about it. Trucks need JAKES going down big hills...its an engine brake to aid in slowing the trucks down.

19. Intolerant

Intolerant

:laughing::dancingbanana::cheers:

20. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

That they do. I have first-hand experience with that phenomenon.

Intolerant likes this.