How do harley riders get away with straight pipes?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Syclone0538, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

The same reason loud stereos, loud import cars, loud diesel pickups, loud sport bikes, loud muscle cars, semi jake brakes... the cops would be awful busy if they stopped everyone who is being loud for louds' sake.

SevenSixtyTwo and Intolerant like this.
  2. fastbolt

fastbolt

Hey, a modified exhaust that violates the CVC can be an "add-on" to a speeding ticket. ;)

When planning to go riding on some of the scenic coastal mountain state highways, I usually like to wait until a little later in the day. That way most of the scattered and broken plastic debris from the road racer bikes has been swept up and cleared from the roadways.

One of the things that still gives me pause is to think about some of the weekend road racers coming around sharp blind curves on the mountain highways, and them dumping their bikes and careening/sliding into my lane as I'm negotiating the same tight curve from the other direction.

I've seen some nasty MC T/C's in my career, and the results of even more of them while tooling around the mountains on my own bikes.

One day I came across 3 sport bikes down after a curve, as they'd encountered a surprising amount of loose gravel on the roadway just where they'd accelerate out of the tight turn. (It's been suggested that some mountain residents who object to bikes racing along the hills deliberately drop gravel on the roadways.)

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised to find that all 3 riders were relatively uninjured. After checking on them, and making sure their bikes were off the roadway, I was (surprisingly) able to find a spot to stand and get a cell tower signal, and called own agency's dispatch, asking them to relay the call to the CHP and the county where the TC occurred.

Then, there was day when I came around a tight mountain turn and saw the back half of a Goldwing, with the front half several yards further into the curve, in the side of the mountain. The rider(s) had already been cleared, and it seemed they were waiting for the flatbed.

Then, there was the time I was the first responder on a call of a reported horse loose on the freeway, which had turned into a MC-finds-horse, at speed, by the time my partner and I arrived to find the scene. Nasty.

FWIW, when I had a V&H 2-into1 pipe on my Yamaha Road Star, the loudness of the pipes did get the attention of a few cage drivers. There were more than a few times I'm sure it prevented them from pulling over into me, without them announcing their intention to turn into my lane - or apparently even seeing me - when I cranked on the gas. As soon as the pipes roared they made a sudden correction and pulled back into their lane, obviously surprised by my presence when suddenly looking in their side mirrors and turning their heads.

Loud pipes can be rude, as well as unlawful, though. Riding though a parking garage and setting off a lot of car alarms isn't something I enjoyed doing, and I really tried to keep it down when in those situations.

Fortunately, the Yamaha Stratoliner I traded my Road Star in on has almost twice the horse power and a lot more usable seat-of-the-pants torque with the stock pipes. It's also louder than my stock Road Star pipes had been, and loud enough to get attention, even stock. Nice Blat, without being annoying.

Intolerant likes this.

3. fastbolt

fastbolt

Yeah, everyone rolls hot for those calls. :rolleyes:

4. speedway

speedway

I can understand loud pipes. No problem.

But what is the incessant need that Harley riders have at a stop light to rev it up over and over with the clutch in? Are they worried it’s gonna stall?

5. fastbolt

fastbolt

Might vary ...

Look at me!

I'm not patient and want the light to turn green.

I like the sound of my own pipes.

Etc.

Why do guys driving loud muscle or sports cars do the same thing?

Intolerant and Doc Holliday like this.
  6. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

Something to ponder. A nice Harley goes potato, potato, potato. A ricer goes ring-a-ding-ding.

7. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

If you dont she will ask to speak to your manager

8. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

Of course they are worried.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  9. Intolerant

Intolerant

Loud pipes dont bother me much, as long as people arent rev`ing the throttle just to be an a-hole about it, but that rap music from 5 miles away with a trunk full of woofers sure does get to me. I can hear their license plates long before i can see them to get their plate numbers.

FullClip, SevenSixtyTwo and azbuckeye like this.
  10. fastbolt

fastbolt

Those calls got immediate attention ... like we rolled hot to all such calls ...

11. Intolerant

Intolerant

RICE! EVERYWHERE :couch:

I own both, harely`s AND japper`s. I enjoy both, each for different riding reasons.

SevenSixtyTwo and mmcbeat like this.
  12. Intolerant

Intolerant

:laughing:

mmcbeat likes this.
  13. Chris8111

Chris8111

Screenshot_20181227-192354.jpg

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    TGT, ZekerMan, jmohme and 3 others like this.
  14. redneck ron

redneck ron Displaced Hillbilly

I like a good sounding exhaust, that is loud when I get on it, mellow in cruise. My favorite is the Borla S-Type. I have used it on a Mustang GT, and a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT. Perfect IMHO.

Straight pipes a little loud and crude for my taste.

15. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

Agree. I’m not a tuner expert but you do need a little back pressure for best performance.

redneck ron and Intolerant like this.
  16. oldmick

oldmick

Well, I'm clearly in the minority. I love the sound of a V-twin and I have since I was a kid. I also love the sound of an American V-8 with a little exhaust noise. Opinions vary, I guess, I'm just surprised more people don't feel the same. Who knew? :)

17. jmohme

jmohme

I am partial to the smooth near silence of my Honda Flat 6.

18. as400guy1

as400guy1

Because the police understand that the riders are over compensating. Plus they know they are also unreasonable.

19. Intolerant

Intolerant

I`m with ya Mick. Nothing warms my heart more, than a nice sounding V-Twin and a healthy V8
    Unless people are true V-Twin & V8 gear-heads from the old days, they`ll never understand it.

20. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

Sounds like a nearly silent sewing machine. ;).
    I keed. Goldwing? Valk?

BOOSTED12A and Intolerant like this.