How do harley riders get away with straight pipes?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Syclone0538, Aug 4, 2020.

1. as400guy1

as400guy1

No, why?

2. as400guy1

as400guy1

3. Intolerant

Intolerant

Well i sure hope you didnt really mean that.

Jonesee likes this.
  4. redrick

redrick

I remember when I was 15 years old I had a Honda XL175 . When I got it I striped the turn signal lights , the taillight , the mirrors and installed a header pipe , K&N air filter and jetted it . I could ride a wheelie going through the gears with the front tire in the air until I got to 5th gear . It didn't have enough torque to keep it in the air once I got to 5th gear . I was riding with a friend one day and we needed gas so we rode to the gas station . We had to ride on the gravel pull off on the side of the road for about 10 yards to get to the gas station . As we were leaving we got on that gravel pull off and I looked behind me and a cop was after us . My reaction was to run . They were clearing a spot for a new mall at the time and it was right there , all dirt clearing . I took off down there and got to a dead end and the cop was behind me in the car , in the dirt . I turned around and went back by him head on . I new my advantage was short distance speed and get to the trails . I pulled out on the highway and opened it up . My bike would only run 70 to 75 mph and it was redlined at that . I went by these construction workers and made there day , they were yelling get , get it and waving me on . That header pipe was screaming and as I got to my top end , the cop started gaining on me . He got almost to my back fender and I got on the wrong side of the road with cars coming at me . Then I got off the road on some dirt . I looked back and the cop had stopped his car in the highway and was trying to run after me on foot . I went in a neighborhood and found some woods and ditched my bike and walked to my friends house . The cop quit chasing me after I went into the neighborhood and caught my friend , that didn't run from him or see riding on the road . He was a good friend , he didn't tell who I was . Later his sister drove me to get my bike .

Intolerant likes this.
  5. as400guy1

as400guy1

Ummm....no....no, of course not....that would be...a bad thing....

6. Intolerant

Intolerant

I agree... unless they are shooting at me

7. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

I said reflexes. And they get way slower as you get older..

If you have the judgement of a 16 year old.. thats a low low bar.. they get killed at an extremely high rate for low skills and terrible judgement.

Canyon fatalities of 16 year olds on super fast bikes is extremely high levels of fatalities.

Ask any bike instructor or insurance guy.. or cop in the canyon area about dead people over their skill level..

8. MD357

MD357

Correct. Point is that boys with loud pipes aren't any different, whereas some believe they are safer.

9. newglocker10mm

newglocker10mm Texas Born & Bred

True. If you ride like an idiot you are going to end up in the category. Explanation of "riding like an idiot" should not need a definition for those of use with a normal mental capacity and common sense. Loud pipes have little if nothing to do with riding like an idiot. I don't, but it is a matter of personal choice.

10. Nutty Professor 188

Nutty Professor 188 Patrol Corporal

I personally don't like loud pipes on any motorized vehicles. Including and especially fart-can resonators on the little four cylinder cars and the earthquake stereos. The rider/operator thinks that people are looking at them because they are so cool when in reality people are not really impressed.

But, I have never pulled anyone over or wrote a ticket for loud pipes. It wouldn't do any good. The courts would want a decibel reading and I don't have a decibel meter. I don't know of any agencies around my area that issue decibel meters.

I don't really buy the concept that loud pipes save lives. The noise is directed to the rear, where the bike has already been, not where it is going, where the hazards have the potential to be. I guess if it's really, really loud it would work, but then it's a pain to everyone else.

Does safety have to come at the price of being ear-splittingly obnoxious? If that's the case maybe they should just have sirens, and flags, and flashing lights, and car running ahead that has a billboard that says "UNSAFE FRAGILE VEHICLE APPROACHING. USE CAUTION."?

If people like the loud pipes because they think it's cool then just say so.
    I'm willing to have my peace shattered as part of a free country and that is another reason I don't try to infringe on what they enjoy or makes them happy. I hope the same in return.

By the way, I'm not trying to start a war with Harley riders, I'm just talking about loud stuff in general.