close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How do GSSF members practice

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by James5m, May 25, 2006.

1. James5m

James5m

When preparing for a match do you setup your own stages?
    (IE) 5 to Glock,Glock"M",Glock the Plates

I would like to join GSSF and maybe enter a match or two,But I would like to get some practice time so as not look like a total fool. I guess I could call DEJ/FL and bend his ear.

2. Wicked96SS

Wicked96SS Typical Gun Nut Millennium Member

I shoot USPSA, IDPA, 3-Gun and ICORE to warm up for GSSF!! ;)

Actually, the only thing I really practice for when preparing for a match is spend 100 rounds or so on a target 25 yards away. Most matches I shoot don't seem to have targets that far for pistol or revolver stuff, so I dont' get much practice on it. That's about it.

Here are a couple of exercises I was thinking might be good to do if you dont' shoot other matches... I am very interested to hear what others would have to say.

1. 25 yard target... start with sights off to one side of the target, then transition to the target and shoot 2 rounds. Do this over and over again from both sides.

2. Staple 3 paper plates to carboard to simulate the plate rack, and send that out 11 yards. Practice transitioning from plate to plate.

Any other that people could suggest that could be done on a single lane at a public range?

3. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

First, welcome! and I think you'll really enjoy GSSF.
    I'm blessed to have some fellow GSSF'ers I can call friends to practice with, and we can setup all 3 stages, running them exactly like matches, timing, RO'ing for each other, keeping records (ugh), etc. It's a 4-hr round trip but they're worth it. :supergrin:

When alone at my little Rod & Gun club range, where we have some 15 and 25yd target boards, I take my 3 other portable target stands and setup a Five-to-Glock. If time is a little crunched, I'll staple D1's to the 15 & 25yd locations, practicing transitions from 2 rounds on the 15 to 2 on the 25.

I practice plates, starting from the ready with 1 plate, then 2, then 3, etc. I used the cheapest kind I can with the corrugated edges; if my rounds start straying into the corrugated portion I know I need to slow down and "look the plate down" before going on the next one.

If I've been really messing with other guns over the winter, I do some plain old 25yd practice with my bread & butter AC gun, sometimes putting a small dot in the center of the A, just to get my tired eyes back to seeing the area of the D1 target that I need to be hitting. I go for good hits first, then speed up. As many know, including myself to much chagrin, you can't miss fast enough to win.

While basic practice doesn't demand one, owning your own timer is a big help, or having a friend who can "RO" for you is valuable, including the commands used at the match. All kinds of strange things can happen when someone has to start shooting on an audible 'beep' rather than when their mind tells them to. Practicing that way will remove a little of that if you can locate someone with a timer. If you find that you really enjoy this type of thing, acquire one for yourself, as they have other uses too.

In fact, it's about time to wake up the Rochester crew and see when next they want me to bring donuts... :clown:

:patriot:

4. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Since most folks do not have access to a plate rack, using six paper plates at 11 to 15 yards is good practice. Setting up the 5TG with official D-1 targets will be your biggest practice aid.

5. Carlitos

Carlitos

I could not have said it better myself.

Shoot USPSA & IPDA if you want to improve your shooting skills. Check out the forums on this site:

www.brianenos.com

Regards,

D.C. Johnson
    www.shootersparadise.com

6. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

Don At PC, unclebob, Pharoah and I are heading to the ERML range on Sunday for a practice session and we are taking the "GSSF Target Trailer"!!

Dan:cool:

7. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i was told pratice is like cheating so i never do. maybe that's why everyone else does better than me.

8. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

It's only cheating if the Practice makes you Perfect and in my case, I don't having anything to worry about!!!!! :upeyes: ;) :supergrin: :rollsmiley: :supergrin:

Dan :cool:

9. James5m

James5m

Thanks everyone for the ideas I quess I could go out to the old clay pit and set it up. DEJ I would like to be able to ride out to ERML and watch, but got family still down here from my son's graduation last week.:sigh:

Again thank you everyone for the help.

P.S I do know for sure that I will attend the match in Nov.

10. GJM89

GJM89

No practice before Jackson, for that would be CHEATING. :freak: :freak: :freak: :rollingeyes: :rollingeyes: :rollingeyes: :devilishgrin: :devilishgrin: :devilishgrin:

11. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

Now Glenn(that's with two ends)You know better than that.......we would never CHEAT!:upeyes: :supergrin: :laughabove: ;)

12. GJM89

GJM89

Remember, your only cheating if you get caught. :upeyes: :upeyes: :upeyes:

13. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

And if you get caught......Deny EVERYTHING!;) :laughabove: :supergrin: :supergrin:

14. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

In stategy for the 3 courses of fire the 5 to Glock will be your biggest obstacle...the plate rack after a few matches will find you trying to shave 6-10 seconds for 4 rounds....versus 20-30 seconds for the 5 to glock....5 target stands and the acquistion of the D1's anout $.77 each delivered or $77.00 for 100 targets along with tape to cover the holes will do ya. :supergrin:

15. TimWarner

TimWarner Resident Goth

Wig, I've been done with my 2 trigger setups for a few months now and still haven't had you guys try them out yet.

The guys who try the open trigger at the USPSA matches seem to like it a lot. I may end up doing a couple triggers for Limited/L10 guns later this summer.

16. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Wish you coulda made the pin match weekend before last, you coulda sawed down some timber at the finale and Butch wouldn't have had to carry me. :supergrin:

I've been buggin' 'em to get a practice session together and probably only hinted to Butch 2 or 3 times at the NRA convention. I'll email that young feller with the apple orchard and see what can be setup.

In the threadstarter's regard, I did some more 15-25yd transitions over the weekend and it's paying off, getting back in the groove so that the 25yd 5TG target doesn't beat me like a bad GT thread... Last target I did was much better and I'd take any 6 of those hits on a 5TG at an actual match. (Target is one of those from Loran's Iron Maiden where I drew the C-ring in.) Some folks react to go-fast, work on accuracy. For me things turn out better if I get good hits, then see how fast I can get them. (I already know how to miss fast.)

[​IMG]

17. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Hey, looking good there WIG "Old Buddy". Are you trying to get thrown into the deep end? ;)

18. Carlitos

Carlitos

I still think the best practice is to shoot USPSA and IDPA with your Glock. Here is one way to think about the GSSF COF:

-the whole match is based on 8" plates (the standard USPSA steel plate). You get NO benefit from shooting an "A" over a "B" so you should focus on that 8" circle; which makes the question: how fast can you go & still hit that 8" all (or almost all) of the time? You want to go SLOW enough to be sure to hit it as often as you can. But, your score also = time, so you have to shoot fast. Striking that ballance? That is the trick. Just as it is in USPSA, IDPA, and ICORE.

Regards,

D.C. Johnson

19. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Howdy Chief, I'm just trying to avoid those numbers that get added 'after' that make us shake our head all the way home from the match. I figure if I can do that, alot of the rest will take care of itself.

As DC points out above, A vs. B hits matter not - striking that balance on that 8" circle is the key. I remember having a particularly good practice day early last year with the gang and Butch, looking at a small coffee-cup size group on my 10yd target, admonished me:
    "you need to be shooting that faster"

Striking that balance... I can hit 4 good golf shots too, stringing them together on the same hole, now that's something else again. If they're inside that 8" circle, I'll take 'em. Best of luck this season!

20. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

I just setup the stages a few days before the match and go through a 1000 rounds or so.