close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How did you start reloading

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by norton, Aug 12, 2017.

1. norton

norton

I let a .38 Special 8" barrel Python slip between my fingers. I'm just glad someone else is enjoying it.

2. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

My first handgun was a revolver for hunting, but then over time I got into semi-autos for self-defense and competition, but then got more into revolvers just because.

.38 special ammo is expensive, and somewhat more difficult to find in the loadings I wanted, for what reason? Time to reload those cases and do it myself. Started doing that last year :)

3. 51delta3

51delta3

I started as s teenager in the early 70's with a less the $5 LeeLoader for my Winchester 30-06. Getting <1MOA groups, I was hooked and have reloaded for rifle, handgun, and shotgun ever since. My primary shooting sport is long range rifle shooting/hunting. Reloading has always been mandatory to optimize performance for success.

4. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

Great stories indeed. I'll like to "like" all replies.

My dad reloaded for his hunting rifle. He had 20 pieces of W-W brass and probably loaded 5 rounds annually.

My best friend's grandpa had a MEC and loaded 12 ga. 1960s.

When I was in the Marines, one of our Lieutenants would harvest bullets from the Pistol Range berm and toss them in his casting pot. So I learned about casting.

I started in 1982 and it is the greatest hobby.

Taterhead and es 350 like this.
  5. NCTJ

NCTJ

Started late in life after the boys were moving out. Lee hand loader is still in use. I have loaded thousands of rounds with this little press in .357mag.,.40s&w, 9mm & 38special. Nothing fast, but steady. Getting ready for the Lee hand loader for 30-30! There is just something relaxing about one round at a time, at my time.

DWB57 likes this.
  6. refugeepj

refugeepj

before my youngest son took an interest (interest at age six),
    i CCed a snub nosed magnum revolver.

began reloading 38's and 357's, then 44 mag.
    when my youngest took an interest in 9mm, i acquired each of us a high cap 9.
    no one goes through ammo faster than a 9 year old boy!
    bought a large quantity of 9mm brass (once fired), dies, tool head, started loading.
    he and i would go at least twice a week, and we shot up a lot of those reloads!
    my boy is now a dad, almost 32, we still get out together when his schedule permits. to his credit, being a dad comes first.
    all my children learned firearms safety between the ages of 6 and 9, depending on their level of interest/maturity/ability to focus on safety.
    family is everything.

7. jimmyk287

jimmyk287

I started with a C-H single stage and progressed to a Dillon 550. I am at a point due to age and economics, that I will be slowing down. The problem if you can call it a problem is that I have more components than I need and I am going to have to figure out how to get rid of some of them. I have 8 pound jugs of AA2200 powder that have never been opened, and 30 carbine brass and bullets and don't have a carbine any more.
    I am not sure how to go about selling some of the components I still have stored.

DWB57 likes this.
  8. CaptainGeneral

CaptainGeneral

As a poor college student in the early 60's, I really loved shooting, but could not afford a box of breakfast cereal much less ammo. I started with an old Lee Loader and a Lee mould. With brass from the range and powder & primers given to me by a very good friend, I started loading. They weren't the prettiest loads in the world, but they worked and helped me into a trade and future with firearms and reloading.

mamanes, DWB57 and norton like this.
  9. mamanes

mamanes

I started reloading for my Remington 742 30-06 in in 1973 in college. I was using a Lee Handloader. Stopped for a few years, bought a Glock 17 in 1988 and started reloading again using an old Texan 3 station press. That was too slow so bought a Lee Pro 1000 shortly thereafter. Stopped reloading and shooting for about 20 years. Dug it all back out about 5 years ago, added a Forster CoAx and a few more guns. Now reloading 9mm, 45 ACP, 44 magnum (rifle and pistol), 223, 25-06 and 30-06. I mostly use the Forster now, speed doesn't seem to be a priority as much as it used to.

DWB57 and norton like this.
  10. es 350

es 350

I was 8 when I got a 12 ga (MEC 600 JR) for Christmas. Still have an empty 1lb can of Red Dot powder with price tag from early days ........$4.99 ! Good ole days!

Back then it was MUCH cheaper to reload as to buy factory ammo and only way I could shoot much at all.
    Could also taylor the load (also to save money) for circumstances.

Couple years later brother got a Lyman single stage kit for Christmas.
    We used this to afford to be able to shoot groundhogs and to work up more accurate loads in our 222 and 22-250.

Grandpa was a BIG help when new calibers came along , week or so after some used dies and empty brass was sitting inside back door when we got home from school.

We was BLESSED as kids!

Early as I can remember was trying to improve on accuracy, velocity etc......

Gun magazines gave us LOTS of ideas lol.
    Tried making a bullet mold when I was 11 or 12 to feed my 44 mag.... lol didn't work out too good with only a drill press!

But a drilled out 222 Rem. case to accept a shotgun primer will propel a 22 cal. Pellet with enough force to effectively hunt squirrels to 25-30 yds.
    I think grandpa was even impressed!

Great thread, brings back lots of good memories!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    mamanes, DWB57, norton and 1 other person like this.
  11. tjpet

tjpet

Got a .270 Lee Loader for my 10th bd. My old bachelor Uncle Al took me out to Bargain Port (A poor, poor man's walmart) so I could buy components.
    I'll never forget the store manager looking at the powder, primers, and bullets and asking me, "Do ya know what you're doing with this s**t, kid?" I nodded and he started ringing me up. Those were the days!

TGT, Taterhead and norton like this.
  12. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

I started reloading on 1978 with an old RCBS Rock Chucker SS press. I now have a Dillon RL550B, and I am 61 years old.

mamanes, TGT and Taterhead like this.
  13. happie2shoot

happie2shoot

It's cool to see so many of us got started
    with a Lee Loader, got mine for a 12ga for
    my tenth Christmas, also got a H&R 12ga,
    it was in 1966.
    My best Christmas.

Have close to fifty of them now, rifle, handgun
    and shotgun.

mamanes, TGT, DWB57 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Lazy R

Lazy R

Bought my first new handgun, a .357 model 586, in 1985 age 24. Friends of mine whose fathers had reloaded got me started right then. Bought a Lee turret press for about 35 bucks and used it until just a few years ago when I upgraded.

Rewarding hobby and afforded me the chance to shoot much, much more than I would otherwise have.

15. acpd541

acpd541

I have been reloading for less than 2 years. My former boss was/is an avid reloader and got me interested. I watched countless hours of YT videos and read many articles on-line before I decided to get in the game. I only load 9mm and and enjoy it.

16. thomas15

thomas15

As a kid my Dad handloaded 30-06 and my brother and I would help. He shot cast bullets with his 1903 Springfield and 1917 Enfield. Although we "helped" we really didn't have an understanding of what we were doing. This was 1966-1970ish. I was 8 years old in 1966.

After high school my shooting activities fell off but I did some BP and shotgun. In 1990 I purchased a Lee Load-All for 12ga and loaded up a bunch of shells but I really hated that press. In the back of my mind I always knew I would get to handloading metallic and saved a lot of brass.

Finally about 6 years ago I started shooting 9mm pistols and in time started shooting with the pistol guys at my club on a regular basis. We have a small indoor range for winter shooting and you cannot use jacketed ammo there. The need for a lot of lead/plated and now coated ammo is what actually put a press on my bench.

When we cleaned out my Dad's house to sell I took possession of everything I could find related to handloading. RCBS and Lyman were his brands and I have his RCBS Uniflow, 30-06 dies, a few misc. RCBS tools, a Lyman lubrasizer, primer pocket tool, chamfer and deburr tools and some other small things. No press or scale. So I knew I need to buy a bunch of stuff. As it was near Christmas I "asked" my wife for some gear and she is like ok so I got a Rckchucker, 5-0-5 scale, handprimer, case tumbler, Lyman 49th and some 9mm Lee dies. I wanted to stay away from Lee as mentioned I hate my Lee Load-All and Dad was an RCBS guy so that was it. So I started seriously handloading in 2013.

Like many this hobby has gotten out of hand. I'm right in the middle of a bench rebuild which I hope to have completed by labor day. I built a 2 shelf bookshelf 8 foot long to hold some brass in plastic shoe boxes and my books, I have over 50 manuals and books on handloading. I have 4 presses, two single stages, a turret and a progressive. I'm a piker compared to some and I will never recoup my costs but I seriously shoot a lot.

mamanes and DWB57 like this.
  17. Idoktr

Idoktr

Went straight to dillon 450 back in the day. Progressed to 550 and now 650. Always a progressive press........