close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How did you start reloading

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by norton, Aug 12, 2017.

1. jmorris

jmorris

I started a long time ago when a neighbor was having a garage sale. He had a Lachmiller Model L1000 he was selling for nothing.

I bought it, rode my bicycle to the gun store and bought 100 primers, he had given me some wads, hulls and a half can of powder. I was then the first kid on my block to be in ammunition production.

Still have it too. C clamped the board to my Fathers work bench when I used it.
    image.jpeg

es 350, Taterhead, redrick and 2 others like this.
  2. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

Only been reloading for ~3 years.

My Nephew bought a LCT in 2013 and started to talk to me about reloading. We live in different states so I would only see him 2 or 3 times a year, but when I did he would show me what he was reloading and talk to me abouting starting....I ended up buying a LCT in early 2014.

I moved to a Dillon 650 in 2016.

3. norton

norton

Sweet Python WP.

WeeWilly and willie_pete like this.
  4. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

About Dillon.

I bought a 450 Dillon about 30 years ago. It's loaded uncounted hundreds of thousands of rounds.
    About a year ago a link on it broke.
    Briefly,
    Dillon replaced the old press with a new 550 for free and they even paid the shipping to me.

Now, that's a GOOD company.

kaisooba likes this.
  5. Victor Dubya

Victor Dubya The Kindly Curmudgeon

in '69 with...
    Lee2.jpg

Attached Files:

• Lee.jpg
      Lee.jpg
      File size:
      56.6 KB
      Views:
  6. Danny Reid

Danny Reid

I started rolling my own back in 1997. I was 28 at the time. My uncle was who got me into it. I am still using the same RCBS single stage press I got 20 years ago! I can honestly say I enjoy reloading almost as much as I do shooting. Assembling your own ammunition is very rewarding.

7. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Well, there is of course, a story with it. ASAP after I got it, I took it to a gunsmith to be D&T for a scope; the Bushnell that is on it now. I used it to shoot jackrabbits on the Red River in Texas where I was stationed; a lot of fun and they were everywhere in north Texas.

OTOH, if I knew then what I know now.

:brickwall:

wp.

WeeWilly likes this.
  8. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy Silver Member

I started about 10 years ago on a Lee single stage press with Lee dies. Still with Lee but not have a LCT, hand loaded and still have the single stage.
    Started on 32 H&R mag, 38 SPL/357 mag, 44 mag, 40 S&W, 9mm and 45 auto.
    Still do 9mm and 45 auto.
    I started because of cost and availability of ammo and have continued because I enjoy it.

9. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

I started a few years ago because I couldn't find 125 gr 357 Magnum bullets. A friend helped me set up a Dillon 550b. Then I grabbed a unit for a 45 ACP, too.

My friend offered a 44 Magnum 629 with a Dillon 450 so I started reloading that, too.

Since the 44 introduced me to large bore Magnums, it got me into getting other Magnums. I got a 454 Casull, and started reloading for that.

Then I looked for a 460 XVR, acquired that and reloaded for that. Lastly, I found a 500 Magnum and did the same.

So pretty much, I have been reloading everything from 38 +P to 500 Magnums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10. bfg1971

bfg1971

Well I was shooting and the gun slide locked open and I thought damn I'm out of ammo I better reload. So I pulled some out of my box and reloaded. Then I noticed everyone else in the gun club was pulling ammo out of peanut butter jars or zip lock bags. I thought how odd and finished the day. An older gentleman asked how much a box of 9mm was and I said about $6 for 50. He said he got a lot more than 50 for $6 by reloading himself and offered to teach me how.

He ended up teaching me just about everything I know about reloading and shooting Pistols.

Thanks Jack, you're a great friend!

11. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

... when I decided that I really liked 10mm auto, but hated the price of factory ammo! Now I load for everything that I shoot except rimfire and shot shell

12. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Liberty or Death

I started back in '81 or '82(so long ago for me I can't really remember when) with, like most, a Lee Loader to load .357 Mag for a S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman that I bought from a buddy. Used a plastic mallet to pound the ctg. cases in the "die" and tap em' back out. Seating a primer was a real PITA, sometimes it went off while seating. Soon moved to a Lee Handheld press and shortly afterwards picked up an RCBS Partner press and I've been using it ever since. Thing just won't ware out. I probably wouldn't be able to shoot much if it wasn't for rollin' my own.

13. papercidal

papercidal

My dad had a Lee pro 1000 back when I was a kid which we loaded everything we shot on when I got back into shooting in my mid twenties I "upgraded" to a loadmaster because I had to have that extra station. I'm pretty mechanical and I kept it running pretty well but every 1000 or so something alway seemed to get out of wack and would frustrate me so from the start I would throw a 20 in a box above my bench for every 100 rounds of .45 I loaded and after about a year I had enough in the box to buy a 650 with a case feeder fully set up for two calibres with cash to spare for components. Probably 100.000 rounds later I have not looked back though I did buy my first single stage about a year ago to size cast bullets but that's he first use I have ever had for one.

14. The Old Bloke

The Old Bloke

I started with a Ideal Tong type (complete with bullet mould ) in 1975. I had used my Dad's Simplex Turret press to load for him before that. I brought myself a Simplex turret to begin with, they used 5/8 dies ,you couldn't full length resize with it so I had to use a Vice type die and when I brought my first .375 H&H ,you had to put the projectile up into the seating die before you placed the case into the case holder!!! From there I went to a Single stage O type Hornady and on to a Lyman T mag. Much later in the piece I brought a Lee Turret for loading .223

15. Robert Brennan

Robert Brennan

Been reloading about 4 years now. I have 2 Lee Classic turret presses, 1 Lee 1000(new), 4 single stations Lees. Reload 22 tmc, 9 mm, 40 s&w, 45 acp, 35, 556 & 762

16. BWC45ACP

BWC45ACP

Started with a lee hand loader for 30-06 in 1973. Now I have worn out one pacific single stage and run two Dillon 550s and a redding single stage and load damn near everything. I must be hooked on it.

17. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Bought a 1911 and wanted target loads for it.

18. O C Hickok

O C Hickok

USPSA shooting since the mid 90's.... Gotta reload for that.... Now steel challenge is consuming me... Pistol, 22 rifle & PCC... I load almost everything pistol, except .40!!! Hate 40... Surprisingly no rife... OK, OK, clay pigeons have creeped in!!!!! I have 6 shotgun machines!!! 5 MECs and one PW for 410 shells.... !!!! As for Pistol machines - its all Mike Dillon... God rest his soul... First was a 450. That was augmented with a 550. NOW, for continuity reasons, two 650's. One small primer, one large primer. Had a 1050 once... Did not like it. Imagine that!? I prefer the leverage pivot point on the 650's...

Gotta go now... I need to reload more 9's for steel challenge...:dancingbanana:

19. jmorris

jmorris

The best idea I have read all day.

20. 71winchester

71winchester

I started in 1973 with my first centerfire rifle, a .308 Savage 99. Then I bought a 44 Automag and couldn't buy factory ammo, so I quickly got very deep into the intricacies of not just reloading, but making the cases from 308 brass. That was the beginning of the obsession. Today I reloaded over 50 rifle and pistol callers and 12 gauge shotgun, using a Dillon XL650, a MEC Grabber, and an RCBS Rock Chucker. The Rock Chucker is only a couple of years old. It replaced my original Pacific C press, that finally wore out. Some day I am going to add up all the rounds I have loaded. I have a log book with every load and round count, except the shotgun.

happie2shoot likes this.