close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How did you start reloading

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by norton, Aug 12, 2017.

1. norton

norton

I started as a teenager in the 1960's, reloading shotshells on a Mec 600 jr press. Dad set it up, bought the components, and a friend and I provided the muscle. We loaded and shot thousands of 12 gauge shells, in a time when paper shells were still on the market and fiber wads and overcards were the norm.
    I didn't start metallic reloading until about 10 years ago. I shot quite a few of my Dad's reloads when he was still living.
    I had accumulated thousands of pieces of fired brass, buying what I needed new. I decided to get into reloading when the price of loaded ammo started rising. I came close to giving away all my fired brass, thinking I would never use it. Glad I didn't.
    My first press was a Lyman Turret.
    What's your story

2. redrick

redrick

I started late in life after I bought a SAA .45 Colt . It expanded to 38/357 , 9mm , 44spl/mag , 30/30 and 223/556 .

3. sciolist

sciolist

I needed a relatively large supply of ammo that worked properly.

4. Valmet

Valmet M76Valmet

Back in HS in the late-90s I got into some longer-range shooting and liked belted magnums (308 Norma, Weatherby cartridges etc) and some more obscure mil-surprise stuff. Mom bought me a full reloading set up when I turned 18. I reloaded fairly regularly thru the mid-2000s...270 Wby, 308 Norma, 300 Wby, 378 Wby etc (even some 6.5 Jap) and then in 2009 I moved to Richmond where I don't have the opportunity to shoot long-range much anymore so although I still shoot that stuff a little bit, I don't reload it much anymore.

Considering this, I tend to shoot more handguns now and reload .38 Spl, .44 Spl, .38 Super, 45ACP and .45 Colt regularly but I've held onto my Magnum dies so maybe one day I'll get back into rifle cartridges.

I remember the days when my dad and uncles reloaded damn near everything as it saved money but then prices of powder and components went way up and I don't think they load at all anymore.

5. flyover

flyover

Somewhere between the age of 8 and 12 I found my Dad's Lyman Tru Line JR for his Savage 99 chambered in 250-3000. He had put it away after us kids were born and had not reloaded with it. I think he had a copy of Lyman's 21st reloading manual, a whack a mole sizing die, a Lyman 55 powder measure an a Pacific powder scale.

Boy, did I learn a lot and did not even blow up the rifle. I probably started with max loads and never knew what a case trimmer was as Dad never owned one.

I moved up to a Lyman Spar T by the time I was a freshman in High School. By that time I was smart enough to know what a case trimmer and dial caliper were for.

es 350, redrick, Valmet and 2 others like this.
  6. DWB57

DWB57

I started reloading in 1976 with a Lee hand loader the kind you use a hammer with for a 30-30 Marlin lever action my first center fire rifle. Not long after that I bought a rcbs junior press and started loading 357 mag,just couldn't afford to shoot as much as I wanted to with buying factory ammo. Have been reloading ever since, they was times I went for a few years that I only loaded enough ammo to hunt with and they was times that I went from rifles to pistols shooting a lot. When I got a new caliber I would buy dies and components and would start reloading and shooting it, never did buy factory ammo once I started reloading. Over the years its been a hobby that I have always come back to.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  7. ironhead7544

ironhead7544

1972, Lee Loader, 44 Magnum. Now have a progressive press.

Victor Dubya and LASTRESORT20 like this.
  8. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I started in 1960 when I bought a 1911A1 45 from the government for $17 and I had a S&W 38.

I couldn't afford store bought ammo, so I bought a Lyman 310 hand tool for $14.

I ordered lead bullets through the mail, until I got into bullet casting.

I still have the 1911 and S&W.

9. ricka10

ricka10

I started in 1976 when my girlfriend got me an 8mm mauser for my birthday. All the factory ammo was greatly downloaded because they feared that someone would try to fire a .323 bullet through a .318 bore.( only the very early 8mm mausers had .318 bore )

I then bought a Lee Loader and a Hornady reloading manual. I could get within 100 to 200 fps of a 30-06. I have been hand loading ever since. :D

es 350, DWB57, Valmet and 1 other person like this.
  10. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

in high school I shot mil surp rifles with mil-surp ammo and didn't need to reload. But in 1968 I bought a 10 gauge Joseph Manton side by side with outside hammers. Back then you could still get 2 7/8ths inch paper shells for them. I bought a ten dollar Lee loader, the kind you hit with a hammer.

After that I got a Charter arms bulldog 44 Special and got a Lee loader for that, and a few years later I got a Lee hand press and started loading for 30 M1 carbine and 30-06, 357 and 44 mag 6mm Rem, and 350 Rem mag.

Around that time I got an RCBS Rockchucker and a Lee pro-pot and started casting bullets and I also did some case forming making 350 rem mag cases out of longer belted mag cases.

es 350, ironhead7544, Valmet and 2 others like this.
  11. LASTRESORT20

LASTRESORT20 L T G

15 years ago...and love it...cause now I know I can do it and have the tools and more than enough supplies..... some folks do it to save money... just a hobby or to have specialty ammo...I do it because I enjoy it and love testing special home brew...but most of all...I have a tenacious survivalist mind-set...

crockett and DWB57 like this.
  12. camaross400

camaross400

I started 4 years ago after getting more serious about shooting. I owned firearms for approximately 15 years before I decided to begin reloading. I began hanging out with someone that shot competitively, and he taught me how to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DWB57 likes this.
  13. Schrag4

Schrag4

2012-2014 shortage convinced me to finally get started. I didn't ever again want to stand in line as ammo is brought out and hope there will still be some left when it's my turn.

redrick, Taterhead and Valmet like this.
  14. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Same as Norton, my Dad shot skeet. That got me involved with it as a teenager. He showed me how to reload, so I started reloading for both of us.

Started metallic reloading .357 in the AF after buying my first gun at the BX; this Python.

Python.JPG

es 350, ironhead7544 and dudel like this.
  15. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

As a teenager I hunted on a farmer's land. He took an interest in my hunting along the way and offered to show me how to reload to make ammo that might fit a wider range of game (My lone rifle was a Winchester Model 70, chambered in .30-06).

When I turned 18, he bought me a Rockchucker kit for my birthday and some components. Some of the best times of my life were shooting specialty loads for game as wide ranging as rabbits to deer. I still have that Rockchucker press.

crockett, es 350, redrick and 3 others like this.
  16. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Friends Call Me "Flash"

in 1967 or so, three of us pitched in on a Texan shotshell loader in 12 gauge. We loaded thousands of paper shells and reused them until they burned through at the top of the brass. Nitro cards and cushion wads were all we had and a shot gun shell cost about 5 cents each. We couldn't afford those fancy new AA shells.

I'm still at it. Currently, I load 12 gauge and 410 3" on Mec 600 jr's.

Not long after that, I got my first 1911 ($93) and a Ruger .357 magnum revolver. I loaded thousands of those metallic cartridges on Lee loaders....Tap Tap Tap!

The rest is history and two Rock Chuckers, three Dillon RL450's, a Square Deal and two RL 550B's came into the fold. A few other single stage presses came and went.

Then came bullet casting, sizing and I worked for a custom bullet maker in Tulsa.

I laid off for a couple of years, but been reloading almost continuously since the late 1960's

Flash

nitesite10mm, DWB57 and Valmet like this.
  17. Valmet

Valmet M76Valmet

Thoroughly enjoying reading thru this thread- keep it going...

nitesite10mm likes this.
  18. Ponce

Ponce

About 17 years ago I bought a 7mm rem ultramag. With the price and limited amount of commercial ammo I started reloading. I now load 4 pistol and 3 rifle calibers.

On a side note anyone load 7mm um?

19. dudel

dudel

I was taking a Dale Carnegie course on public speaking. One night, the assignment was to do a "teaching" talk. One fellow talked about reloading. I found it fascinating. A few years later, I got divorced, and started shooting (I had moved many states away!). I couldn't afford all the ammo I wanted to shoot. I remembered the talk. The internet was not as it is now. I bought some books (Hornady, Dean Grennell, Wiley Clapp - still have the books), ordered a RockChucker, 9mm dies and components from Midway (back when they had the black and white flyers - still have the press and dies). I started cranking out ammo. We had a guest bedroom with a tiny 2x2 closet, which I turned into my reloading closet. Went through several other presses, till I ended up with my original RockChucker and 550b.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    es 350, redrick, DWB57 and 1 other person like this.
  20. papershoot

papershoot

I started after the Sandyhook shortages with a LCT. I load straight wall pistol: 38, 357, 327, & 44 special. I have purchased more revolvers and a carbine because of the reloading. I am enjoying the process.