How did you start in GSSF?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by jay.shebuski, Jun 20, 2003.

1. jay.shebuski

jay.shebuski

..just curious how everyone got started.

I was shooting plates @ the NASA firearms range, in Florida, back in 99. At the time, I was shooting SIG P226 #2, and there was a gentlemen shooting a Glock next to me.

..he commented that he was preparing to go to a Glock match and that I should get a Glock and try it.

I had just put my SIG back together, after mailing the slide to the factory, as it had cracked like SIG #1 and had also been taking a sound "lashing" from the Glock shooters @ the monthly IDPA matches in Orlando..and at that moment, I decided to buy a Glock.

My dad actually bought it for me, a model 34, after I had PCS'd to Ft lewis, WA and fired my 1st match, in Roseburg, OR in 2001.

2. Clem

Clem

Hello again, Jay! My first GSSF match was in Carrollton (Dallas) in 95. I'd shot revolvers in any & every match I could find (local pin, plate and NRA Action Pistol matches as well as the Bianchi Cup three times in the late 80s). I bought a Glock 22 when I heard about the mag restrictions that were coming, so when I heard about the GSSF, I decided to give it a try. I soon found out that my Action Pistol classification (High Master) allowed me to only shoot Unlimited. I saw this as a good reason to run out & buy a 24C! I put a Tasco Pro-Point 3 on it & won Unlimited! The GSSF bug bit me hard. We're not able to go to as many matches as we'd like, but we do as many as we can & enjoy the people we meet & the friends we've made as much as the shooting!! :) :) :) Tony & Donna / Team Sidearmor

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

I joined GSSF in 1997 to get the extended warranty on my new G19, and rounded up enough courage to shoot my first match at Richmond, VA in May 1998, finishing about 135th out of 152.;Q

4. geminicricket

geminicricket NRA Life member

I started at the bottom last year.

5. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

Let me condense my ultra long story into just a long story & tell my tale. Through a friend of mine, I got in contact with a local pistol club. I had never shot a match of any kind & had only bought a couple of pistols for home defense & plinking a couple of weeks before. Well, this club was having some kind of competition & they invited me out. Happens they were shooting a small time GSSF match. At this wonderful beginning I met several new friends including this very nice man named Bobby Carver. Well, this match was such a blast, I went back the next month, & the next. Then they all started talking about a "real" GSSF match & it happened they had one in December in San Antonio. Well, I had to go. I had only been shooting a pistol for about 5 months at this point but I did ok. By the way, I spent many, many hours practicing & Bobby was kind enough to give me some great pointers. I came out in A class, 30 something place IIRC. This all started in 2000 & I haven't stopped having fun yet. I won my first pistol in Carrolton in Comp catagory last month. That was Awesome! I have been fortunate enough to shoot in 6 GSSF matches & been in the money in 5. The folks at Team Sidearmor were generous enough to invite me to shoot with them & through that I have made many wonderful friends. It has sure been a fun ride!
    Let me say, if you have never shot a GSSF match before, go shoot one. Also, take a look at the "Tips from the Pros" pointers & do what they say. It really works!

6. G7

G7 Mostly Metric

I think I read about GSSF in one of the gun rags. Anyway, I joined in '97 and until this year GSSF matches were the only ones I had ever shot. I usually get to go to three matches a year - one while on vacation, and two close to home.

I started out in "C" class, but practiced a lot and in '99 I lucked into a "B" class win. I am starting to finish near the top of the "A" class now, and my goal for this year is to shoot all matches 'clean'.

(And also to win 3 guns and move into Master Class . . .):cool:

I think samurirabbi is the only GlockTalker I've met. So far.

7. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

I stumbled on to GSSF through this website.

I post on another forum and I heard Glocktalk mentioned a few times and decided to check it out. I always have liked shooting so I checked out this forum and the competition forum first. When I looked at the GSSF schedule and saw that there was a match an hour away from where I live, I decided I would give it a try. I had a G17 that was missing a front sight, so I used that as an excuse to order a set of race cut Bomars from CGR, two weeks before the Anderson match this past March.

I fired the Anderson match and enjoyed it. I didn't keep score so I had no idea how I did, when the scores were posted here I found out I made A Class, that was it, I was hooked.

My second match was Richmond, and my score went up, not down despite a good deal of practice. Instead of just shooting, I focused on my goals, and it cost me. I worried more about the clock then I did about shooting a good match.

Now I'm waiting patiently on Statesville, then Conyers.

8. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

After Bob bought his first Glock, and joined GSSF, he started going to matches here in the Southeast. I am his 'official' cheerleader, so I attended these matches for two years, and just watched him shoot.

In the fall of '99, Bob took me to an indoor range that loaned out guns to those that didn't bring their own, and I found a G19 that seemed to fit my hand, and I shot a Glock for the first time.

That Christmas Santa brought me my own G19, and my first shoot was Jacksonville in 2000. We've been shooting Glock matches together since, and I've even beaten him once. I've come real close to beating him a second time, so he better watch out!!!

We look forward to the matches and we've met some mighty nice people. We shoot matches from Virginia to Florida, and we're thinking of adding Kentucky this year.

Well, that's my story, have a great day!
    Mrs. G-R :) aka Pat

9. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

I had heard about the GLOCK matches in a round about way. Did not think much of them as I did not own a GLOCK. Had my first experience handling a GLOCK in 1995. By God I was not going to own one of those plastic pieces of Garbage.

I continued reading and two things stood out in some articles. Chuck Taylor was writing the continuing Saga of the little GLOCK that could not fail and Massad Ayoob wrote a Glowing piece on a GSSF match that he had attended in the mid 90's. This got me to thinking...a dangerous pastime with me.

Early in 2000 I came across a hardship sale of a GLOCK 17. Good price and ammo plus a 17 round magazine included. I figured I would give it a whirl and sell at a profit to some other sucker that would actually like a plastic pistol. Then I shot it. A couple of range trips and I was hooked. Sold off a Beretta and SIG to get more GLOCKS. Reread my magazines looking for GLOCK articles. Agin found that Ayoob piece on GSSF.

I lived in Orlando at the time and found that GSSF had a match in Jacksonville in January 2001. My birthday month so I treated myself to a GSSF membership and shot the match with my G17 and a G26 I had aquired. I did real good, was like 29th in civilian "A" class with a 130 second score. I really kicked butt in subcompact with a 4th place finish and a 97.27 score. I WAS HOOKED!!!

Since then I went down hill for a while but my subcompact shot better for me at most matches. I have since moved to the Am LE side of the catagory and been winning money ever since. Subcompact class has been good to me and I even came in first with a pistol win. Two more guns to go till the Big Time.

Is there a 12 step program for GSSF? :)

10. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

My first GSSF Match was Oct. 99 at Conyers. Believe me age 59 is not really the place to start if you plan on being a big winner. I on the other hand was looking to enjoy myself, meet new friends and since I enjoyed shooting GSSF was the place to be. Of course I will have to put part of the blame on my son-in-law (DEJ/FL) because he and I were sitting around and talking and it was mentioned that we should give it a try and Conyers was only about a 5 hour drive. He also currupted me into reloading. We shot 10 GSSF matches last year and should shoot 10 this year. I am still amateur class but now that I have had my cataract surgery I will see if I can change that status. Either way I have had a great time, met many new friends and plan to continue as long as I am able to compete and enjoy.

11. Sniper 7.62

Sniper 7.62

Believe it or not I was watching American Shooter on TNN in 99 and saw the part on GSSF and thought man that looks easy to win so I went to the closest match I could find and had a down to earth time getting my but kick and in the process I meet some really nice people that I call my friends & teammates today.

12. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

And I really had to twist his arm and he fought it kicking and screaming all the way;Q That's when we met Coach aka DannyR and the rest is history!;f I have shot MANY different types of handgun matches in my pasted (NRA Action, Speed Steel, IPSC, PPC) and I can honesty say that GSSF is the most fun match that I have done and the friends we have made are GREAT!!
    Dan:cool:

13. myglockisa23

myglockisa23

Started last year at Waldorf with a G23 and shot an embarrassing 311..Got some good advice from Danny R, Fireglock and others, stepped up the practice, switched to a G17, slowed down my times and this year have made it into the 170's two times.... just found out I won some cash at NJ (7th place B class) with a little more practice at 25 yards and shooting SLOWER, should break the 140 mark this season.

I got addicted! You will meet some really nice people at a GSSF match. Even my wife enjoys it and we have traveled 2 times to NJ and once to Anderson SC

14. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

I saw the GSSF member flyer that came with my gun and signed up. SHot my first match in 96 or 97 and won a gun for 1st C.

15. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Hi Jay...how ya been...by my brief attempts to read threads I see that you have done very well with that new hip! Speaking of new hips I believe thats exactly what got me interested in GSSF...very low impact ( no running...speed reloading) and something that even I could do with two bad wheels....by joinning Glock Talk I could also enjoy a family of people who enjoyed the same things that I did ....the urge started in 2000 where I shot at Lexington and has carried through till now... and even with several personal losses the last half of 2002 and the beginning of 2003 I am again able to take a few minutes to enjoy all your comments again. GSSF gives one a purpose and that purpose helps us through times that seem difficult, we set goals and these goals are the purpose of our existance.;f

16. jay.shebuski

jay.shebuski

...So good to hear from you!

My hip is doing great. Took a little "ribbing" @ the Spartenburg, SC IDPA match this weekend..sorta had a hard time doing that "low cover" thing...I hate low cover:)

..but the doc says I'm good,..well, he's a military doctor..so maybe I'm not doing so good, but I'm shooting OK:)

Glad to hear from you!

..you should write more often!

Jay

17. MFinch

MFinch Guest

Glad the hip is doing good. I'm thinking about having my other one done soon....to get it over with. This in one reason I don't work the IPSC thing too hard.

I drove to San Antonio around 1998 or so and shot competition class with my 24 and placed pretty well and had fun. After moving to Wyoming the following year I practiced a bit, drove to Greeley and had a 1st and 2nd place finish ...and was hooked.

I like the simple format and the friendly people. When you take a hard look at what some of the Masters can do with a stock Glock it makes you appreciate the skill factor. While we constantly play with our unlimited guns, the expenses are nowhere near what can be found in IPSC and other sports. Like Clem mentioned, I also shot Bianchi in the 80's, Steel Challenge, etc..... and went through a lot of different specialty guns. I've pretty much settled on sporting clays, GSSF and will probably shoot the Team Challenge events in 2004.

18. BCarver

BCarver CLM Millennium Member

I began shooting GSSF by invitation from Chris Edwards in 1998.

I began shooting IPSC in 1983 while I was shooting NRA Bullseye and IHMSA. With a master's classification in Bullseye and an International in all phases of IHMSA, the IPSC style shooting was easy and fun. I began shooting pins in 1984, shooting Second Chance several years as a MasterBlaster. Like Mike Finch and Clem, I shot just about everything: Bianchi (4 years), Steel Challenge (3 years), The S&W Masters (5 years) and too many regional IPSC events to mention.

After an injury in 1991, I was no longer able to shoot any event that required lateral movement, so "good by IPSC". I retired from shooting for about 4 years and began shooting pins again in 1996, competing in the every pin shoot that I could feasibly travel to for the next 3 years. After competing in the last Second Chance held in 1998, I was resigned to retirement again, when I received my invitation from Chris. My first GSSF match, was shot in Hallsville, MO in 1998. A couple of weeks later, I shot a stock 17L at Conyers and have been shooting 10-12 matches each year since.

GSSF offers some great fun and "fantastic" competitors but it also is one of the most challenging disciplines I have ever shot. That's right, compared to Bullseye, steel shooting, IPSC, it is more challenging because, "No matter how fast you shoot a perfect score", you can always go faster.

19. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Two of the range officers at the range I frequented asked me to be a third member of a team at Jax in late 95. I was shooting a lot back then, finished up in "A" and had a pretty good time. GSSF flipped the match so Jax was in Jan in 96 so Emily and I went again and by then we had already made a few friends and we were hooked. We shot 4 or 5 matches each year. We weren't serious in our participation, sometimes we bought ammo the night before the match, we went for the social aspect, friends and good times.

In 2001 I found a few new buds (GSSF forum can do that) that were "serious", decided to get serious myself and started putting some practice time in. Danny asked me to shoot with Sidearmor, I started reloading again, and it's grown from there. :)

20. Clem

Clem

. . . that you can't be "serious" if you shoot factory ammo & don't reload, Jerry? :cool: :cool: :cool: Guess I can't be serious this weekend in Fort Wayne (factory ammo, you know!), so I suppose I'll be "serious" in Conyers later this year!! Just kiddin', buddy! Tell Emily hello from us! Tony & Donna / Team Sidearmor.