How did you get your glocks?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by foxhound, Oct 22, 2004.

1. foxhound

foxhound

I've noticed that quite a few here are under 21 and I was curious how you young guys got your pistols. I'd like to buy a Glock but unfortunately I'm under 21 and I thought it was illegal to purchase/possess as a minor but I might be wrong. Not trying to get anyone in trouble or sound like I'm baiting anyone just trying to see if there is a way I could possibly get a glock.

2. protozo1

protozo1

If you're not 21 in my state you can't buy a handgun. I don't know about if your father or mother gave you one or you paid for it and they bought it and supervised when you went to shoot. If you can't buy one wait, because if you get a violation when you're under age you won't be able to buy one when you come of age.

3. 45g21

45g21

The laws vary by state. I believe some states the age for purchasing a handgun is 18. I didnt buy mine till i turned 21 but i believe here in Texas your parents could buy one for you and it would be perfectly legal.

4. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

My dad bought mine for me when I was 20.

5. AJE

AJE Sometimes grumpy, not old

I won't be 20 until I can get mine but my mom will get it for me. The FFL is a friend of ours and he said it's perfectly legal for her to get it and give it to me.

6. tna55

tna55

You must be 21 to legally purchase a handgun from dealer. This is federal law and it applies to every state.

7. G21forME

G21forME NRA MEMBER

True but you do not need to be 21 if it is a sale between private parties in some states, and it seems to be that some folks have their parents buy the gun. Then again that's a "straw" purchase or something like that, I can't remember right now.

8. ClearDark

ClearDark

I bought mine from a dealer in washington. Had it sent here, and had a buddy sign for it. Federal law says 21 everywhere. However, in my state, local laws say you only have to be 18. So, I technically could have bought it privately legally too.

9. lumberjack

lumberjack One of Many

I indirectly bought 2 from the dealer and one was given to me by my uncle.

In MS you can posess at 18(current age) but not buy. Straw purchases are illegal BTW.

10. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

Its not a straw purchase if the person who will be the owner of it can legally posess it.

11. Aphotic

Aphotic happy-go-lucky

Dad bought it for me when I was 19.

Funny how that stuff works, no?

In just a few months I'll be able to buy whatever I want, but I still don't understand why it's perfectly alright to buy a high-powered, high capacity rifle when you're 18, but not a .22 revolver until you're 21... I think at age 18 you should be able to vote, be eligible for the draft, be able to purchase all types of firearms, be able to drink alcohol and be able to enter any form of gambling establishment. I don't drink, and I don't gamble- but if I am responsible enough to choose the leader of the United States, I think I'm responsible enough to play a slot machine or drink a martini.

Adding to this-

Do you guys ever see the age for handgun purchases being brought down to 18? Arguments for? Arguments against?

12. Spartan24

Spartan24

Out of some guys trunk at the corner gas station. Isn't there supposed to be a serial number on the frame? Mine sems to be missing it. Oh well, the price was right, no names, no ages, and no paperwork, so whatever...;)

13. clubsoda22

clubsoda22

I have purchaced 4 handguns since my 18th birthday (i'm almost 20 now)

In all cases i had my dad buy it, then, he gave it to me as a "gift", then i gave him a "gift" in the form of a check for the purchace price.

This works in most states, check your local laws.

14. foxhound

foxhound

I though I could have my dad buy it for me but apparently not. Here in MO you have to get a permit from the sheriff in order to get a handgun and you have to be 21 to get a permit, I guess I still have 2 years.

15. younggenious

younggenious

I got perfect attendance and a 4.0 GPA my freshman year in high school (I'm graduated now), so my school gave me a $500 check (sponsored by Coca-Cola). A few weeks later, my dad and I went to the good ol' shop and picked me up a G23. I often wonder what the school's reaction would be if they knew what I spent the money on.

16. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

The first Glock I bought was beat up G-17 from a guy at a flea market that said he used to be a deputy.He wasn't very old and had health problems where he could hardly stand up and walk.Before I was 21 I got a Ruger Blackhawk in 30 caliber carbine from my dad because at under 21 it's difficult to buy handgun ammo.

17. stiletto raggio

stiletto raggio

My parents helped me get a carry permit when I was 18, but didn't let me buy anyhting until I was 21. Oh well. I've made up for lost time.

Funny thing is, I have been drinking since I was 15, so the big deal at 21 was my G23 and Ruger Bisley.

18. atfsux

atfsux

19. BBrossard

BBrossard

I picked my G19 up at a Galyan's in Colorado Springs. And, even though I try not to support mega-chains, they had the best price. The Gart's down the street has decent prices, too, and just got in a few OD Green GLOCKs. I really like the OD Green models.. I was tempted to snag one!

20. ClearDark

ClearDark

Had a relative buy it for me and "sell" it to me. Gotta be 18 in Maine to have a permit and own a handgun so im all set.