How did you get into guns?

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by Valor1, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Valor1

Valor1 Range Bum

Most of us loved guns. I started liking guns when my Dad brought me to a fair (or local Perya) to try the BB rifles when I was 4 years old. I kinda liked it specially when the toy soldiers get hit (craziness at an earlier age). Since my Dad used to work in a bank, the security people let me handle and dryfire their revolvers. Plus my Uncles being the chubby among their nephews let me try their 1911's. The rest is history. But I got my first pistol in high school. Prior to that, I contented myself with airguns (rifles and pistols). What started you guys on guns and shooting?

2. New_comer

New_comer

My father has always had two guns, a rem870P SG and a S&W 22mag rev.

At first, I was awed by the power and intimidation factor associated with guns. Later, it was just a matter of me realizing I also need a couple considering the state of criminality in our society.

And now I have three... ;)

3. bass one

bass one

I have always loved guns and cowboy movies. I didn't get myself a gun before because I was a bit hotheaded then and wouldn't want to get into deeper trouble with a gun. Now I've mellowed down.:cool: Anyway, when my son was born and that stupid paranaque hostage taking that killed the boy happened, I said to myself I wouldn't let anything like that happen to my boy.:steamed:

4. vega

vega

I didn't really like guns but I like to get one for protection. After I got one I met a buddy who introduced me to competition and the rest was history.

Or maybe I should confess, I love guns...me and my brother priest would always look forward to getting guns for Christmas, birthdays, and all other excuses.

vega

5. mikol

mikol

i started liking guns since 1983 when i saw allot of people going in and out of our house with bulging firearms IWB. my father used to be an intelligence operative until 1991. i started shooting revolvers since 1988 with my father. that's the time i was hook up to shooting, but on revolvers only;f i was wondering why ever since he started his work as an intel.ops. i didn't even see him use or fire a pistol of any kind. he only uses his S&W .357 4" as his service firearm & S&W .38 snub nose as a back-up gun.

but for me, i'll have to get my first pistol this coming dec. for a change. hope i can get a good semi-auto pistol for a starter. then i might involve myself in some shooting comp. after getting my service award when i quit my work here in Saudi Arabia.(provably 2-years from now):) ;a :cool:

6. horge

horge -=-=-=-=- Lifetime Member

I'd hated guns from childhood, for deeply personal reasons.

However, a few years ago I found myself in severe want of one, and barely managed to extricate myself from my situation, and with not a few painful injuries. After the first-year thrill of owning my first, I have to admit some moderation has set in. Owning a gun is a great weight upon one's vigilance, care, conscience and discipline, not to mention, (potentially) one's finances. My wife likes them well enough, and I've politely turned down many an offer of hers to gift me, this last purchase of a local 1911 possibly being a literal, 'last' purchase.

I guess I still hate guns.
    I hate driving too... but what is one to do?

7. 9MX

9MX Rei!

i got into guns because last year, big boy ppts kept harping about how good glock guns are! he dragged me into last year's gunshow, twisted my arm, got hold of my wallet, and bought me a g17. we've been buddies ever since;f

8. KennyC

KennyC

Grew up on a farm. Loved my BB guns shooting anything that moved. Learned to shoot a .22 rifle and went hunting a few times with my dad (I hated it :) ). Continued the BB fascination into my teens with CO2 BB pistols etc. But then took a "left" turn with Vietnam going on and a personal feeling that guns were evil (probably influenced by the media) took an anti-gun stance (but I did buy my kids a BB rifle and pistol) til a few years ago I came to my senses and realized that the government was constantly and continously erroding my individual rights and in particular were trying to ban guns. I joined the NRA to support my 2nd ammendment rights and should have bought guns right away given the neighborhood I was living in -- a moblie home park which during that time added a clause to the lease that guns were not allowed. This just pissed me off more and I almost bought one right then!.

Now I live in a better part of town, but seeing news reports of robberies, neighborhood watch flyers and criminal activity in the general area pushed me over the edge and when I say an ad for a conceled carry class last year I signed up, bought a .22 pistol for the class and took it along with one of my sons. Now I have several Glocks, and bought an AR-15 just to piss the anti's off and because I love it's looks.

KAC

9. Alexii

Alexii Janeway Forever

Started shooting revolvers since age 11 at my uncle's backyard in Bulacan. At about the same time, my Dad successfully thwarted a carnap attempt so regular practice shoots ensued. Got my first gun (meaning using my own money) on 1997, a Beretta 92FS Inox. Then an HK USP (sold it), Beretta Brig (my pet gun), G19 (sold it), and recently, jmy's G30.

Dad gave me sometime in between a 1944 production .45 Ithaca and an M2 Carbine .30.

10. Skyhook

Skyhook

Grew up on a farm where hunting was a necessity and firearms were everywhere. Being 'at home' and responsible with firearms was as natural as being at home with other implements.
    We also used our .22s to dispatch the beasts in our family slaughterhouse. Not pretty, but as I said, a necessity.
    Not far from our farm was a state penitentiary from which felons would occasionly escape and from about twelve or so years old, the men were assigned the role of protector 'just in case'. Several of the so-called trustees were apprehended by the citizens so we knew the whys of gun ownership from the very beginning.

11. bagito

bagito tanod

love guns eversince im a kid. always looking forward to have a real thing after having loads of toy guns as a gift during birthdays,christmas and any other occasions.got my first gun during college a S&W 38 paltik, 2001 a 45 RIA, 2002 a llama45(given to my brother),2003 a glock23,2004 g30 & cal.45 941FS. yes im an addict and i want some more heh.heh.heh.whats next? ;I
    2005-sti vip clone (on the making)

12. julianz

julianz toxic master

I got into guns in grade school.Some of my uncles back in bulacan are LEO , airforce officer , army ranger,CHDF and PSG. all family members usually meet every fiesta..the older relatives usually show thier guns and let other relatives test it. we kids back then pick up the spent shells and brass (pulot boys)..

13. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

My friend - Vic Lim of Manila Gas, BCDA, PASAR and other things - corrupted me.

14. deenoh

deenoh

Buddies with who? ppts or your G17? Hehehehe ;f ;f

15. doctabako

doctabako Gun Aficionado

I grew up around guns. In pre-martial law days, my father and my grandfather had almost every type of firearm that you can think of, and both of them including their bodyguards(more like a private army) were only too happy to show me each and every one of them. On the days leading to and shortly after the declaration, sacks of firearms were thrown into the sea(Thompsons, Grease Guns, M1 Carbines, you name it). Favorite pieces were dismantled and placed in drums filled with axle grease and buried. When things relaxed a bit, those firearms were lent out to friends and tenants(never to be seen again) and all but a few remain with me and my brothers after both of them passed away.

As for practical shooting, I used to shun the sport as I thought it was a waste of time and contented myself with plinking(cans,bottles) and shooting coconuts, monitor lizards, livestock etc. Then early last year,I made friends with someone who showed me the ropes and got me interested. We and some other friends formed a gun club and I haven't looked back( our livestock and coconuts must be very happy now;f)

Special mention also goes to the Band of Glockers and BE Forums as this was were I developed the desire to REALLY get serious about practical shooting. The BOGs enthusiasm is really contagious. :)

16. 9MX

9MX Rei!

both;z

17. Vault Keeper

Vault Keeper

Hello guys, finally got my self registered after a long wait... Been visiting your forum regularly though and I met some of the "influencial" members of the group already!

I got started with guns few years ago when circumstances required me to get one. My first gun is a Beretta Centurion. After that, I always hear my wife asking how many guns I need to contend myself;f I guess most members have no answer to this...

Nice to be here!

18. CarlosDJackal

CarlosDJackal

I got my start in the very same way. It was one of the only ways I could actually handle a gun (although be it a BB gun). WHenever we went to the perya, the first place I would go to is the shooting gallery. I also once got to handle a neighborhood guard's M-16 (moonlighting Soldier) back during teh Marcos regime. And once in a while my brother wouldd let me handle the punp air pistol his rich friend would let him borrow.

19. ppts799

ppts799 Daisho

9mx : that was your choice. i was twisting your arm to get an open gun;f ;f unfortunately, ate leya didn't have enough money in her wallet that night for an open, so cheap glock nalang;a ;a ;a

welcome to the forum vault keeper!!!

when i was grade 3 (even shorter than i am now), my brother took home a crosman air pistol and air rifle and i got hooked in shooting immediately. 2nd year high school, i joined our school's shooting team and that's when i became an "adik".

20. agentrod

agentrod

Started during elementary when my dad introduced me and my brother to air rifles. Now and then he would let us shoot of his 22 and 38 cal pistols. Was also into air pistols but now I have the NEED and bought myself a 9mm pistol for home defense, which I also need for the business.
    Frequenting this board, I forsee, would eventually pull me in the world of competitive shooting - now how do I justify that to my wifey and 2 kids??? Honey I need the excercise
    :)