close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

how did you get interested in handguns?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Jaegergirl, May 2, 2004.

1. Jaegergirl

Jaegergirl Proud2BAmerican

i'm just curious how the ladies of GT got their start with guns. most of my friends are liberals who believe guns are bad so i don't have anyone (female) who shares my interest.

this is how i got my start. my husband is a former marine. he's been out for several years. a little over a year ago, he said he missed shooting (he really enjoyed it when he was enlisted) and wanted a gun. since i was ok with it, he bought one. last summer he mentioned how ohio was trying to get ccw passed and i thought it was "cool" but never gave it a whole lot of thought. when it was announced the law passed, i started checking out the ohioans for ccw website daily and it kind of went from there. over the last several months, i've been spending a lot of time on the internet researching and lurking on gun discussion forums. my husband jokes with me and says i'm obsessed (we are both internet junkies so he has no room to talk ;f). i've joined ohioans for ccw, second amendment sisters, and now i have a gun. i'm hope to take the ccw class and get my permit by the end of summer.

in the eyes of most people i know, my interest is a little odd.... there is not one women i know who cares anything about guns and 2A. rights. i don't care what other people think so it doesn't matter to me if i appear "odd." i'd like to know how you all got your start.

so..... anyone game?

2. reinbeau

reinbeau

I'm odd anyways, and done care much what others think! :)

My first husband had guns, he left them here. I didn't mind the guns, but I did mind being unlicensed in this state (MA) in posession of rifles and handguns, that's all I'd need is to have the cops here for whatever reason and get hauled off to jail for them!

Actually I'd always wanted to get my pistol permit and learn how to deal with all guns responsibily. When hubby #2 came on the scene (a wonderful man, and my last husband!) he was into guns, hunting, being from Maine, guns are second nature up there. He helped me get my license, we took gun courses, and I've got my own G23, and am looking for a smaller gun to carry. We're licensed in three states (MA, NH, ME) for concealed carry.

We don't get out shooting much, but we do belong to the local rod & gun club. I'm busy now in gardening season, so I don't have much free time for guns and blammo. Winter is a better time for the indoor range. When we go up to Maine we can go out into the woods and target shoot.

I am also fairly conservative, actually, very, I tell the guys in work (I work in a large engineering firm, where conservatism is the norm, even here in liberal-land MA) that I'm probably the most conservative woman they'll ever meet! I firmly believe in the second ammendment, and feel we need to guard our gun ownership rights stringently.

3. c-mama

c-mama

My dad had guns while I was growing up but I was never really interested in them. A couple years ago, my husband inherited a revolver from his grandfather and his interest grew. He now owns 2 glocks, 3 revolvers and an AK-47.

I got interested probably the end of last year - don't really have a particular incident that happened, just Scott's interest grew on me. We went to a gun show about a month or so ago and I bought my first gun - a Smith & Wesson 65 LS revolver. I have not shot it yet but am hoping to do so in the next couple of weeks. I, too, am planning on taking a CCW class very soon.

4. tinagrrl

tinagrrl

I was always interested in the precision of guns. They looked like fine machines, made for a purpose.

Living in NY, coming from a family that had neither experience with, nor desire for, weapons of any kind, I had no thoughts about any kind of firearms.

Occasionally I'd read a bit about guns, just to keep current with trends.

Moving to Texas last August opened up a new world for me. In fact, driving home from an Opera --- taking a WRONG turn and going thru some really seedy neighborhoods, led to my looking into a carry permit, which led to a gun show, which led to a Walther P22 (which I soon sold), a Ruger Security Six in .357, and a Glock17.

I found shooting so relaxing, I next got a G26, then a G27 (which will be my carry gun).

I find the practice very rewarding. It's also pretty easy to see any improvment -- the results are right there before your eyes.

For many years, I lived on Long Island -- one of the absolutely safest places in the USA (no. 2 in lowest crime rate in the country).

Coming to Texas and being hit with all the home invasion stories, being overweight, and 65, the idea of having a way to protect MYSELF was very appealing.

Now, after meeting so many gun people, at shows and at the range, I've found them to be very open, friendly, and accepting folks.

Maybe it's just the Dallas area, but the gun folks I've met are really nice folks. In addition, the gun sports are FUN, and people are so willing to help.

I always wonder why so many people are so afraid of firearms? I guess it's a reflection of their inner turmoil or lack of responsibility.

In fact, I honestly believe favoring gun ownership is a truly (old fashioned) LIBERAL view. It is the right of every law-abiding individual, not just the gov't.

But then, I usually had folks on one list I was on calling me a right-wing nut, while here I'm called a flaming liberal (and MUCH worse) ---- I guess if both edges of the discourse -- the far left and the far right -- think I'm crazy, and/or wrong, I can't be all bad.

tinagrrl

5. Melissa Ann

Melissa Ann

Dad had guns when I was growing up. I even went hunting with him a couple times. But it didn't really do anything for me. And I never really did much or expressed much interest for many years.

In March 2001, I wrote a letter to a national news broadcaster, and copied my dad on it. He was quite proud and posted it on a yahoo.groups list for this shooting sport he was involved in. I started reading the list and the archived posts, and other things.

In May 2001, I was in Utah visiting my folks and my dad mentioned he was going to the range after work. I asked if I could go along with him. Shocked him! So I went and had a lot of fun. He said I did pretty good and asked me if I wanted to shoot an IDPA match with him on Saturday. "Are you insane?! I've only fired 50 shots my whole adult life! I'm not ready for competition." So I went with him on Saturday - to watch. Boy did I kick myself over that decision. I really should have shot. It would have been great fun to shoot my first match with my dad. But I screwed that up. ;P

In August that same year, I went to Texas to shoot my first IDPA match with some friends I'd made on the internet. I borrowed the gun and mags, a friend made me a rig for the gun I'd decided on, I bought ammo (talk about culture shock - I'd lived in NJ for a number of years. When I went to Texas, friends took me to a store and I just walked up and picked out the ammo I wanted - like you would anything at the grocery store or something. I was amazed!) Shot the match after a little lesson on gun safety and gun handling from the good people I was staying with. And I had a BLAST! I was sooooo hooked.

Went back to NJ and found a local club. Mom and Dad came out to visit in September and Dad and I went to an IDPA match together in Sciota, PA. Met some really good people. Went down to Florida to take a class from Randy Cain and have been shooting ever since. Started helping out at the IDPA matches, am now a Safety Officer, help run 2 IDPA matches in Eastern PA, help train new Safety Officers in PA, NJ and NY, have been an SO at IDPA Nats 2 years in a row, am helping with the PA State IDPA match, have ROd at a couple GSSF matches, have helped as a role player in simunitions exercises at training events at our club, have taken a few training classes, been shot at with sims (hurts - but a very valuable experience!) and I'm constantly trying to help generate interest and educate new shooters (new shooters in general and new to IDPA or GSSF). I very recently moved to PA (Delaware County) and as soon as I get my PA DL and am able to, I'll be applying for my PA CCW. ;f

Melissa

6. Suzy Cooke

Suzy Cooke Big Dawgs 1894

I grew up in the country, the mountains. Folks hunted and fished. Kids had BB guns and rode bikes with out helmets and climbed trees and did stuff that was normal then but would sernd the lawyers and child protective services into fits today.

My uncle was a State Trooper and when I was 11 or 12 and the had to qualify he brought his .38 and a bunch of ammo and took me with him and taught me to shoot a hand gun. My father taught me to shoot a rifle and a kid on a farm taught me to shoot shotguns.

I moved to the city and didn't have a gun. I got raped and took up Taekwondo. Then over the years I had a couple of different .38 snubbies.

I wasn't serious about shooting although I did practice a bit with rental guns and my Smith at the LA Gun Club.

Then recently I moved to Texas and got a G 17 and membership at a range. Then came the CHL and a G26 and a G36.

I'm getting old and shooting is a sport you can do when you are up there a bit.

I competed in my first GSSF. I was near the bottom but I intend to keep at it.

It's sort of like shooting is a social thing too.

Suzy

7. Jaegergirl

Jaegergirl Proud2BAmerican

thanks for all the replies. i've enjoyed hearing how you all got your start.

i have to admit that the desire to own a gun is something i wanted to feel a little safer. bad enough to hear all the terrible things that happened on the news, but unfortunate events in my life made me realize bad things can happen to good people (my first marriage was a bad one-my ex was very abusive. my brother was murdered by his abusive exgirlfriend). to be honest, i've never really felt safe because of it. i realized that we are all susceptable to the evils of this world.

when my husband got his gun, he got it for the hobby aspect..he enjoyed shooting and missed those days in the marines. i wanted him to buy it for safety reasons. when he told me they were working on making ccw legal in ohio, it really got me thinking about getting a gun for myself. i wanted to be able to protect myself and my children should the need ever arise. i never thought that i would have made gun ownership a hobby too. and here i am... :)

8. Marzipan

Marzipan Optimist

Here's how I got interested in guns: My dad has been in law enforcement since before I was born. He had guns (quite a few). He took me and my brothers shooting often. My brothers got into it more than me at first. I was afraid of them for a while (my oldest brother shot me in the leg with a pellet gun when I was around 7). I got interested when my uncle showed me his guns and took us all shooting at a family reunion. My brothers all bought guns, and I used theirs for a time. When I was 19, I bought my first gun (well, my brother bought it for me and I paid him back. I couldn't own a handgun then: stupid laws). It was a kel tec, and it appealed to me because it was so small that I could even wear a fitted dress and conceal it on my person.

Guns are a good purchase because they never go down in value. I still have the kel tec, along with some others. Some of the best purchases I have ever made.

9. Kilroy

Kilroy JAFMP Millennium Member

...started shooting when she was five. Just before her fifth birthday, she had an assortment of pennies that she was to try and bend, break or otherwise damage. Not much a five year old can do to a penny. On her fifth birthday, I taped them to a plank and helped her shoot them with her new .22 rifle. She was quite impressed the amount of damage a bullet causes to a penny.

Now, four years later, she has two rifles and two handguns. She is tired of her two Berettas, a 950SB in .22 short and a 21 in .22 Rimfire, preferring an Advantage Arms conversion on a Glock 19.

She is my right hand at numerous Second Amendment Sisters, Ladies Only shoots.

She is not impressed by my MP5, but thinks a suppressed M16 is the best rifle out there.

10. Belle

Belle

My first experience with handguns was in the mid 90s. I went on a few shooting dates with different men and got to try several types of guns. They all thought it was fun to take a chick to the range, but when I shot better than they did we would never go again. The gun I remember liking the most was the G21. So about a year and a half ago I decided to finally buy it.

I took a basic course and then some more advanced ones and found IDPA, which I enjoy. I also like GSSF matches. I used to come in last all the time at IDPA, but I do better now. I tend to beat my boyfriend, shhh don't tell.:) He tells people that I'm "Scary accurate." Accuracy first, speed will come.

11. xena

xena

Great thread. I got started with a S&W revolver bought for protection. Thought I should practice with it at the local range in case I ever had to use it and found I liked shooting. So I got some lessons and then a semiauto, then another, then another then a gun safe.....tried IDPA and love it even if I'm pretty consistantly close to being last - hey somebody's got to be there! I'm accurate but not fast yet. The people I meet shooting are mostly great folks, very helpful. My friends don't understand it as I'm a fairly liberal kind of gal but I'm a fan of the 2nd amendment .

12. TammiJ

TammiJ No Member

I just started shooting last summer. An engineer at work invited me to a "shooting" party at his home out in the country. I'd only shot a gun once before and that was many years ago. I went to the get-together and we started off shooting skeet. Lol, I was amazed that I was hitting that thing pretty consistently! After we ate, the host brought out a small 9mm and another coworker took his AK-47 out of his car and we had a blast! I've been hooked ever since and now own a G17 and an AK of my own! Tammi ;)

13. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I had never been around guns until a few years ago;P Now I want almost every gun I see.

My neighbor's psycho boyfriend was getting out of jail. I knew the day was coming in about two weeks. On panic mode, I learned how to shoot then I bought a Glock so I would feel safer when he got out. I researched beforehand but it was a sudden decision, so to speak.

Then when I was away from home and the gun was here, I got to thinking about him breaking in my house and finding it. I knew he would either kill somebody with it or hock it for $20 for crack then it would still be used to kill somebody. So I took the CCW class and have carried daily since.

Psycho did come in good for something after all...

14. Vic303

Vic303 Senior Member

I guess I'm an odd one, I feel sorta like I was born liking firearms. I have always been interested in them for as long as I can recall. Grew up with 2 wall-hangers in the house & somewhat 'anti' parents...go figure!

15. c-mama

c-mama

Hey Vic, what's a wall-hanger?

16. Suzy Cooke

Suzy Cooke Big Dawgs 1894

17. Vic303

Vic303 Senior Member

A wall-hanger folks, is a firearm hung on the wall for decoration, but not one you'd load up and shoot. ( It might go KABOOM rather than BANG!) One was an old Belgian Rolling Block (collectable but true value unknown), and the other not really a wallhanger, but during the days of my childhood you'd have been hard pressed to find any ammo for it in my old hometown! .303Brit was NOT common in the midwest back then. Now, even Walmart carries it!

18. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

Hi everyone- Im sort of new here also. I've been looking over hubby's shoulder for a long time and finally decided to jump in.

I thought this was a great question. The first time I touched a gun was with my college boyfriend, shooting at tin cans with what was probably a .22 rifle.

When I met VR,(Vote Republican) he was already really into shooting and on our third date he took me to the shooting range. I've been hooked ever since, and I guess that's been about (yikes) 12 years now. We own several long guns and several handguns. I shoot best with the revolver, but I have my own 9mm now, and I am planning to practice a bunch with it soon. I cant hit the broadside of a barn with the .40 or .45....I plan to work on that too eventually.

I am utterly envious of you ladies who get to carry. We here in MD cant even drive in the car with our guns and ammo anywhere near each other. One day Im going to get my FLA and Utah license so I can at least carry when we travel to some states.

19. Perry F.

Perry F.

I'm a guy so great to hear all you women enjoy shooting and are able to protect yourself.
    I have got my wife to go shooting once, I started her on .22, then got her to shoot my G19 she freaked on the recoil but she will get used to it.:)

20. Kolchak

Kolchak cries easily

I think I loved guns from birth. It was in my genes. My father, an avid shooter, hunter, collector, died when I was five. I never knew him, but there was a lot of him in me. My mother sold his gun collection, not because she disliked guns, actually she shared his hobbies, just not as avidly, but because she needed money. The only one she kept was a beautiful Colt SAA, all engraved. I suspect she may have bought it for him, but I never asked. He was the love of her life, and it always made her too sad to speak of him much.

Anyway, we kids were allowed to admire and handle the Colt as we were growing up. There was never any ammo around, but my mother taught us the basics of safe handling. We were also kind of linked to my father through this gun. I missed him terribly. His death, I believe, had a profound effect on my entire life. Even 50 years after his death, I feel sad talking about him.

I was never really able to indulge my passion for guns until I was in my forties, but once I was in a place where I could, well I just went crazy. After all, I had several decades of pent up desire ready to unleash! I have as many guns as I can afford, I shoot whenever possible, and, oh yeah, I inherited my father's Colt;f