How did you end up in your current job/career?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Rabbi, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

What is the story behind how you arrived at your current job or general career field? Some of these kinds of stories are very interesting. Life can take us places we never set out for and sometimes, exactly where we aimed.

2. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

I wanted to do it for a living since I was 12, got paid to learn the trade.

3. janice6

janice6

My mother got me a Crystal radio early on in grade school. I spent many hours finding out how and why it worked.

I decided in grade school that this was the technology I wanted to spend my life working in.

I did.

4. Rotn1

Rotn1

My parents both worked in the heavy engineering and fabrication industry.
    When I came out if school my dad suggested I call one his Steel mill contacts who were hiring. Started the very next day. That was two countries, 4 companies and 38 years ago. But fundamentally still the same industry.

robbcayman and SevenSixtyTwo like this.
  5. XDRoX

XDRoX

I did the math.

NDcent, huskerbuttons, BradD and 5 others like this.
  6. OGW

OGW SAF

I've enjoyed science and figuring out how things worked since my age was in double digits, so an engineering education seemed like the thing to pursue. After spending 11 years working for a big mining company, I ended up being self employed repairing machinery for various heavy industries--paper, chemical, salt, oil.

ETA: Retired since 2003

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    KBKEITH and SevenSixtyTwo like this.
  7. captcurly

captcurly

Current job is no job. I retired 23 yrs ago. This is how I do retirement. I do what I want, if I want and when I want. Yep I loved my past profession but now retirement works for me. I haven't worked a day since Mar.1,1994. I earned this and worked for it so why shouldn't I enjoy it. Regards to all at GT.

8. Sharkey

Sharkey

Wanted to be Batman as a child and I am a pretty scrawny guy. I became a cop than a criminal investigator, and lastly a state civil investigator over a 25yr span. Don't have kids but somehow I always ended up investigating abuse cases.

Got tired of the BS and answered an
    ad for a chauffeur and I entered the C suite with 0 corporate experience. In fact I am waiting now to take some to a swanky hotel. I could tell you but then I would have to kill everyone reading this thread.

RustyL likes this.
  9. droidfire

droidfire

took and ran with the idea of on the job education. worked multiples at once growing up, always a full time trade and part time whatever.

eventually got to the point where i couldnt keep all my skills sharp and started losing little bits of this and that. found something that tapped the spectrum and keeps it all nice and actively fresh.

of course that was the little plan within the larger plan which itself failed so looking for an exit strategy.

i no longer care to maintain the storehouse of knowledge and skill i have earned.

10. oldengineer

oldengineer

My old man was a chemical engineer who got into the semiconductor industry in 1956 while working at Philco. In 1958 he uprooted the family to take a job with a startup in Mountain View, CA, Fairchild Semiconductor. When I got out of the Navy he hooked me up with them and I ended up spending 37 years as a Test, Product and Design engineer with several companies, retiring in 2007.

I saw the technology change from 10um channel length MOS devices in 1969 to 20nm in 2007. It was a challenging but fun ride. They had to paint over the fingernail scrape marks on the walls as I was exiting. I enjoyed going to work right up to the end.

SevenSixtyTwo and janice6 like this.
  11. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

When I was a police officer, I always liked the law and investigation stuff and we used to talk about how it didn't look that hard to be a lawyer, so I decided to be a lawyer - went to college while working for the local police department, then went to law school. After that, I was in private practice and within 2 years, 1 of the 3 partners in my firm was killed in a car wreck and another had a stroke and was paralyzed. So about 2 days after the last partner told me he was going to lay off my friend, because he couldn't afford to keep on so many attorneys, I got a call out of the blue from a government legal office I had never heard of, asking me if I wanted to interview for a job. That was 14 years ago and I now have the job of the guy who hired me.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    NDcent, JMag, Rotn1 and 1 other person like this.
  12. maxmanta

maxmanta

I knew a guy who knew a guy who knew some other guy.

Sharkey likes this.
  13. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

First career- cuz I partied too much and didn't do the math.

New career- same as above with the addition of I'm very skilled with the product I make.

KWalrad and G30SF/F-250 like this.
  14. lazarus66

lazarus66

I repair and maintain printing presses. It was a gold mine for a while but now it's just a steaming pile..........

SevenSixtyTwo likes this.
  15. Oldschooltube

Oldschooltube Flux Capacitor Technician

I was working at McD's in my teens and dad was out of work. He sent off resumes all over and an insulation company in Iowa hired him on as a project superintendent. I was faced with a choice then: stay where I was working for minimum wage or roll the dice and move with mom and dad to Iowa and get on at the same insulation company. I decided to go to Iowa and got hired on as an apprentice for $7 an hour. Not too bad starting wage in 1993. A year later that office of the company closed and I applied at their biggest competitor for an asbestos abatement technician position. I worked for that company for 20 years working up from grunt to general foreman to superintendent in that time. One day I was at work for one of our largest customers when a head of one of the departments walked up to me and asked if I wanted a job. I coyingly said "I'm listening" he offered me a job as a maintenance supervisor and about a 20k raise with it. I have now been here a year and a half and love it. When I put in my 2 weeks with my old company the owner said he was sorry to see me leave but genuinely happy for me. He also said If I ever need a job to come see him. Its good to leave on those terms. I still see all the guys I worked with regularly but now I am the one calling them for services.

16. GRR

GRR

Worked my ass off for 40 years, saved some money, got to be 62. Retired.

misterfox, NWPA, holyjohnson and 3 others like this.
  17. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    Joined the AK guard out of high school as a Blackhawk mechanic.

Turns out I'm pretty good at it, and I love the job.

After 13 years I got the opportunity last year to apply for a position as a warrant officer. My packet was accepted and in august I attended the WOCC at mother Rucker.

18. SevenSixtyTwo

SevenSixtyTwo

I set out to be an electrician. While working on a construction site, I learned that the elevator mechanics were making almost twice what our top paid journeyman was making, had pensions and health insurance. So a few weeks and phone calls later, I was a union elevator constructor apprentice. Thirty six years later, I'm about to retire with a modest pension. Health insurance will take almost half of it but still good. It's a dangerous, demanding job but I've enjoyed it. When I started, we still had car stations and elevator operators. Relay logic and ac/dc generators in blistering hot machine rooms. Now it's all microprocessor controlled with digital drives in climate controlled machine rooms. Once I retire, I'm going to be a dirty old man.

holyjohnson likes this.
  19. RustyL

RustyL

I worked for a mom and pop shop helping an electrician, we wired small homes, grain bins and such. There was a small electrical motor repairs in the business that fascinated me. So I got the chance to move in there. I liked the rewinding of electric motors, it's cleaner and easier, I stuck with it. I became a master of my trade eventually and get paid very well for rewinding electrical apparatus. I've wound motors from fractional to 10,000 HP.

SevenSixtyTwo likes this.
  20. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

It was supposed to get me through college.

Became a career instead.