How did Minimum Wage become a federal problem????

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Dennis in MA, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

I know it isn't Obama that invented the federal minimum wage. But why does it even exist????

Shouldn't this be a state-by-state thing? MA has a minimum of $8. More than the federal standard. I'm betting in some areas, it could be LOWERED from $7.25. But an across-the-board minimum means that people in more rural areas of the country are hit the hardest. ?????

I don't get it. I'm sure it was some robber-baron-thing 100 years ago, but isn't it time to get out of federal wage management and let the states handle this themselves???? Don't they know their own economies?

2. kensb2

kensb2 pistol n00b

I agree! It's kind of like Obamacare to me: Romneycare may very well work for MA (does it?), but it's definitely not going to work for the entire nation. Sounds like another over reach of power.

3. droidfire

droidfire

Wait, you want the fed to give up some control over the states that it currently has?

Just what country do you think you are in?

4. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

If any states were allowed to operate without the federal minimum wage, those states would show explosive job creation and economic growth which in turn leads to higher wages.

Also, the evil unions often write their contracts as multiples of the minimum wage, so the demonrats who vote to raise it end up with fatter union contributions in their pockets.

5. Dennis in MA

Notasogoot! Romneycare sucked when Mitt shoved it down our throats. Romneycare sucks today and IIRC, health care is now 40% of the state budget, including Medicaid. It was less than 25% before Romneycare.

6. kensb2

kensb2 pistol n00b

So since Obama keeps claiming he built OC on RC, and RC is overbloated already...then he obviously knew it was destined for failure when he introduced it! :steamed:

7. Dennis in MA

Oh jah! Dats da troot!

Although "failure" is a subjective metric.

How about this metric: He doesn't care about cost. Cost is irrelevant and ultimately someone else's problem a decade from now. It's all about getting the BEST care (which again is subjective - but I digress) for everyone. . . equally.

He expects higher taxes on the wealthy to fund it. Same as Obama-Lite here in MA is trying to do it. He wants to raise an additional $2B in taxes to pay for bloating government. ARRGGHH!!

8. cesaros

cesaros

Higher Federal Minimum wage = more federal tax revenue.

Thats why it exists :)

9. Z71bill

Z71bill

It is buying votes with other people's money.

Buying an election costs a lot of money - why not use someone else's cash when you can.

10. Z71bill

Z71bill

Only if the person making mininum wage is in a higher tax bracket (including payroll tax) compared to his employer.

Shifting income from a high tax rate small business (including self employment taxes) to a minumin wage - low tax rate employee - can actually reduce tax revenue.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  11. The Fed

The Fed

He wants to raise it to $9.00 per hour. All that will do is cause companies that don't pay that much to lay people off. There will be no increase in tax revenue and more people on unemployment and public assistance.

12. Dennis in MA

But that math don't work.

1. I can pay Little Johnny or keep the $. Either way, taxes are being paid.

2. Let's say you got some mamaluke that ONLY earns minimum. Odds are, his federal taxes are zero, whether he is getting $7.25 or $9 an hour. Because you know FOR SURE that the odds of him having a full-time job at that wage are nil. (Benefits anyone?) So the std. deduction and exemption will cover the first 10K of taxable income. That's 21 hrs a week at $9 hr.

Taxes will NOT go up. In fact, they will likely go DOWN.

It's for votes, not for $. It's NEVER about the $ - ie supplyside - for Obama.

13. cesaros

cesaros

my wife worked as a CNA (nurses assistant) at minimum wage, full time...we paid quite a bit in federal taxes. I think out of the 2k taken during the year, she was refunded about $150.

And this year she will likely get even less refunded since taxes went up on everyone. I don't see how this will get us to vote for anyone....unless little jonny/jenny is a complete idiot.

14. LEOson

LEOson

It's not. But it's just another way they can get the hands I. The cookie jar. I just want to walk up to that stupid **** and yell "get the **** out of our lives!"

15. LEOson

LEOson

Oh taxes won't go up will they? Somebody forgot that the payroll tax has already gone up.

16. Dennis in MA

Was she the only one working??? Or was this MARGINAL money on top of your income? There's a huge difference. And my positation still stands - tax revenue will NOT go up. If it doesn't go into your wife's pocket to pay taxes at 15-25%, it'll go into some "fat cat's" pocket paying 31-29% taxes. Which is better? 39 or 25?

:upeyes:

Popcorn is 22% bigger this year. (I figure I can match one non-sequitor to another.)

The expiration of a temporary reduction in a tax is not an increase. Unless you want to give credit to Obama for LOWERING your taxes for 3 years. :rofl:

17. Fear Night

Fear Night NRA Life Member

I think it's to create the illusion that working may actually yield more money than just sitting at home on the government check. With the increased entitlements over the last 4 years, it makes zero sense to work a minimum wage job, when you can make more by doing nothing.

18. Z71bill

Z71bill

The business paying the additional wage gets to take a deduction for it - reduces its taxable income - it is just a shift in income. Some would call it INCOME REDISTRIBUTION. :upeyes:

The business also gets to deduct the additional payroll taxes it pays on the additional wage.

It is possible to get more government revenue because of an increase in minimum wage - but also possible to be a decrease. Wash it all out - most likely not much OVERALL impact on tax revenue.

19. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

There shouldn't be a minimum wage at all.

End the MW and welfare and illegal immigration goes away. There will be no shortage of folks eager to pick lettuce and haul bags of mulch.

If you're making minimum wage the reality is you're worth less.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

20. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

Min wage workers don't pay federal income tax and very little payroll tax

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire