Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a email. A business that has my info. Address, name.. and S S # seems to have had a theft of information. They don’t have my CC#s, banking info... so that couldn’t have been taken. How big a deal is name, address, social security number possibly being out “there”?

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Hello sir,i’d be concerned because your name combined with your ss# could allow a person to open accounts in your name. Identity theft is a pain in the *** to deal with.

Reactions: Ramjet38

·
Registered
9,221 Posts
Definitely do a credit freeze. Two businesses contacted me by mail about my information being compromised. A freeze is free and easy to do.

This won’t eliminate ID theft but it makes your information much less useful. Get ID theft protection that fixes the problem if it occurs. Many people have Life Lock. My wife and I have Zander ID protection.

·
Values. Can't be bought.
13,111 Posts
Credit Karma is free and will notify you of any new accounts opened or accounts closed. But if you do a credit freeze that should me a moot point.
Also makes it easy to check your credit reports and score anytime.

·
Values. Can't be bought.
13,111 Posts
Anybody remember the good old days when a service would etch your SSN on the car glass?
When I was in college, Probably a lot of folks put it on their stereo and other valuables.

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Anybody remember the good old days when a service would etch your SSN on the car glass?
When I was in college, Probably a lot of folks put it on their stereo and other valuables.
In the olden days, the PX and commissary required SSN to accept a check....most people had the number printed on the check for convenience.

·
Premium Member
26,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There were a couple states you ss# was your drivers lic. And I memorized it because I used it so much. Long line every two weeks getting paycheck. Every person giving name, reciting SS# But if the gal didn’t require it she got in trouble.
You go to back of line recite friends info. (If no crowd I could get all 3 at once). Like most security it was theater.

·
Registered
12,717 Posts
Discover gives me identity security for free. They alert if anyone messes with my info or tries to open an account.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts