close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How Come?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by wrenrj1, Jan 3, 2010.

1. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

On my desktop running XP I can no longer see aviatars, just user names and cannot start new threads. This has been this way for probably 9-months. I can do quick replies however that's about it.

On my laptop however, running Vista (soon to be W7) I can see aviatars, start new threads (as I am now) etc. Just like the desktop used to be. Can someone give me some insight as to what happened? Thanks.

Wren

2. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

the real question is why you waited so long before trying to fix the problem.

on a more serious note...what browser are you using? if its firefox..can you try and uninstall it and reinstall it? also, if you do that make sure you backup your bookmarks

3. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Didn't have much to say that warranted a new thread up till now, and there is always a plethora of threads to read and comment on. Honestly, I didn't usually access GT on my Laptop, and when I did, I saw the difference. I though it may have been a subscription issue.

I am using Firefox (updated as needed) on both machines. I do run IE as well that has my bookmarks also. How do I back up bookmarks? I'll give it a try.

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Are you sure you're signed in? I know that sounds stupid, but its a serious question...

As for the bookmarks, Click Bookmarks/Organize Bookmarks, then choose "Import and Backup" on the next window. Then choose "Export to HTML".. and set it to export to your desktop. Uninstall FF, reinstall, then import your bookmarks following the same procedure.

IGF

5. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

I just went through IE and everything's fine. Should have tried that in the first place. I have the same problem with using Outlook remotely accessing the server at work. Firefox gives limited functionality to Outlook, yet IE provides more functionality and access. Sounds like FF is the problem.

6. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Now the latest, and not necessarily related to my first problem, my Vista powered laptop won't even open IE and gives some screwy message that it's due to Firefox in some form. I'm trying to figure out how to uninstall IE however Vista makes it all but impossible to figure out how to do so.

I was at BB to purchase Windows 7 to replace Vista, but the wife, a microwave, oven, and new fridge got on the bill first...

7. FLGUY

FLGUY Guest

Unfortunately, IE is embedded and part of Windows Explorer which is an integral part of the OS. Bottom line is that you can't uninstall IE.

8. mattyk6

mattyk6

I had issues at one time actually getting logged in on FF, it would say that I was logged it, but I really wouldn't be. I figured out that if I went in to reply to a post, it would ask me to login and it would really log me in. I thought it might have just been me.