close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How come Glock could not just reduce grip of 21

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by rsilvers, May 29, 2004.

1. rsilvers

rsilvers Guest

With all of the aftermarket grip mods for the G21 that seem to work, why could Glock not just factory-mold it smaller?

Initially I could not understand why Glock made the .45 GAP because I did not think the G37 did anything better than a shaved G21. But now I think the .45 GAP is a great idea, and in a few years we will see smaller HK USP45s, smaller Walther .45s, Browning HiPowers in .45 GAP, etc. I don't think the G37 alone paints a broad enough picture of the benefits we will see over time.

2. therealmarauder

therealmarauder

they did and the G37 was born. :)

3. M96er

M96er

I've asked that myself. Why not just use steel magazines like HK which along would reduce grip size. My guess is that they decided to stick to the tried and true GLOCK design of polymer sheathed mags as they flex and are corrosion proof. Step on a steel mag and it's bent, step on a GLOCK mag and it flexes. As for that back channel space on the grip, that space greatly reduces shock from recoil. Most auto pistols have a space in that location even if there are no components there.

Frankly, I don't like the .40S&W. It's got a bit too much snap to it, it's loud, and it swells brass quite a bit. The .45acp or .45gap is a better alternative for special ops as it can be suppressed more easily, and subsonic loads are not lacking in power as much as 9mm or .40. This is one of the reasons HK focuses most of its attention on suppressed pistols in .45acp.

If HK offers a USP version in .45gap.......*drools as he thinks about it). I find the trigger of my .45acp HK USP to be a bit of a stretch in the double action position and the shorter .45gap cartridge would make it practically the perfect .45 caliber pistol IMO.