close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How can you save a DVD to HD and have it playable on the computer?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by NOCM, Jan 22, 2006.

1. NOCM

NOCM NRA Life Member

Title says it... How can I save a DVD I own to my computer so I can view it on said computer? I do not need to make a copy of it, just view it without the DVD. I have Windows XP media center edition if that helps any...

Thanks.

2. woettinger

woettinger King Nothing

3. vanRichten

vanRichten

Sadly it's illegal to do so. :( If you use something like DVDShrink or DVDDecrypter it breaks the encryption on the disc which violates the copyright laws. Yes, you read right... it's illegal to make a copy of something you legally bought.

4. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

Wrong. It is perfectly legal to make a back-up copy of any media you purchased. You cannot legally use it for any purpose other than a back-up to your orignal.

5. podwich

podwich

Wrong. Per the DMCA it is illegal to break encryption. You have to do this to copy a commercial DVD to your hard drive.

6. vanRichten

vanRichten

+1

DMCA prohibts the copy of DVD's in any fashion. Even copying to the hard drive.

7. woettinger

woettinger King Nothing

8. DM6

DM6 Libertarian

And per SCOTUS rulings, this sort of fair use has been allowed.

With the hundreds of thousands of people spreading pirate movies on the Internet, LE isn't even going to hassle someone for backing up a movie they own. Even though the law is conflicting with regard to the legality of such an action, the fact that the judiciary (where your case will be heard) has allowed it, while the legislative has disallowed it, leads me to believe that no LE is going to pursue anyone acting in good faith, since the case is unwinnable.

Just like almost every other copyright issue, apply the good faith test and act accordingly: if you paid for the material, and aren't spreading it or avoiding other license fees, then what you're doing is probably legal, as established by court precedent.

Also, under the DMCA, reverse-engineering for the sake of compatibility is legal, placing the circumvention clause in jepoardy of being contradictory with other parts of the bill.

9. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Unfortunately fair-use has unfair limitations...

A friend of mine was burlarized and lost almost 500 music CD's and over 1000 movies, all original DVD's and CD's.

He had made backups of many of these disks, but since he can no longer prove he copied them legally (since he no longer has the original) it is illegal under this Corporate Plunder Act for him to keep them now.

Isn't that special?! ;g ;P ;g

He got robbed twice, in my not-at-all-humble opinion.

10. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

fastvfr,

That is exactly why I kee my orginals locked away and use only my copies. If the copy is stolen I still have the orginal.