How can you not own a AR type rifle, carbine, pistol....type gun?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by larry_minn, Jul 10, 2019.

1. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Back in the 80's they were not that popular. @ $1000. In early 90's similar price till @94 then up in price.... Few times basic ARs from most any company used were over a grand...

Then 2016. If it went the other way few doubt values would have gone up fast. IMO many companies increased production thinking that... But the experts were wrong. Some Americans still wanted freedom.

Now they are doing anything to sell ARs. A decent one is $500 NIB with 20 rds ammo, mag and a $100 store credit good on anything (except that AR). So for @$500 you get gun, couple mags, sling, few boxes of ammo. (Or some combination)
    For you younger folks. I don't see that they can sell built ARs much cheaper.
    You can buy stripped lowers @$35 everything else @$250 on up. (Without going really questionable sources). I have not built one, just from looking..,

Heck I am heading to pick up a AR-10 I didn't intend to buy. I heard price "I'll take one for that". I could have backed out. But I said it. Mags are still cheap, ammo available.
    My intent was to thin the herd... But in @6 yrs they likely will be worth double so no hurry.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    fnfalman likes this.
  2. Terry G

Terry G

I bought my first one in 1971. I missed my M-16A1 very badly. I would get stares and sometimes hostile mutterings like "Shouldn't be allowed on the range." and " I saw a Viet Nam tattoo, keep an eye on him." Now the AR-15 clones are everywhere. I stick to Colt, but plenty of good types all around. AR-15's Large.jpg IMG_1691.JPG

fx77, bruscifer, Glockdude1 and 6 others like this.

3. JArthurD

JArthurD Silver Member

Beg to differ.

I kind of got the whole running around with a black rifle out of my system in the military, years ago. I see no use for it now. Frankly, they are too large to wield indoors (effectively), you can conceal or carry it, I don't hunt or do any mid-long range shooting. I have many guns and I enjoy range time like anyone else but to me, these are just toys that I grew out of.

sonoma, jame, vikingsoftpaw and 5 others like this.
  4. China boy

China boy

I agree with the OP. I feel every house hold should be required to own one.

5. Bradley T

Bradley T

Fantastic machine; fast, light, versatile, accurate, almost fulproof.

6. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

I bought an Tavor X95 a couple years ago because I felt I needed a true rifle in case SHTF. I shoot it rarely. I have never felt the need or desire for an AR. To me it’s an obsolete design.

$500 for something I don't want is $500 too much.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    RenoF250 and Intolerant like this.
  7. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

Kind of the modern version of the musket for Patriots.

Rotn1, Bus007, SCHADENFREUDE and 5 others like this.
  8. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

I would argue far from foolproof, but they are fun to shoot.

9. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

Interesting viewpoint. I play golf with an older gentleman who was a Green Beret in Vietnam. He's legit and has a Bronze Star for his trouble. He thinks civilians shouldn't be allowed to have military type weapons. He told me a 9 for SD is fine. I told him I had to respectfully disagree. I like AR's. They're fun and intend to exercise my right to own 1... or 2 or 3. I really like my 9mm AR. He would too. I'd take him to the range, but I think he's probably seen enough weapons in his lifetime. I have a few AF friends I served with, that are so far left, I can barely see them.

Gregoire G, fx77, Rotn1 and 2 others like this.
  10. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

I only buy for what may come. Today is for fun, but tomorrow may be for real.

FullClip, Rotn1, Inyo Tim and 7 others like this.
  11. Schrag4

Schrag4

They certainly are inexpensive today. I think everyone should own at least one. IMO, everyone being able to share AR15 magazines puts the “well-regulated” in “well-regulated militia.” That alone is a pretty big selling point, if you ask me.

12. TeaDub

TeaDub

It is very common to read on this forum "the price was too good to pass up even though I didn't really have a use for it."

I've never felt that way. I don't buy guns as investments. I buy them because I like them. IF I find a great deal on something I want, it makes sense to buy it on sale if possible.

ARs? Yep, I have one. I shot it enough to vet it's reliability. It's sat in the safe since. If prices spike at some point in the future like after Sandy Hook, it may find a new home. A 25 yard range is all I have easily accessible. Boring with an AR type rifle.

13. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

I personally dont care if someone has the Medal of Honor, if they think we shouldnt be allowed to own ARs then they are an enemy of freedom.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

14. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

I had been a holdout for wood and steel, but caved in and bought a 16" carbine when the prices got absurdly low, for the reasons cited in the previous posts ... Now I'm spending all the saved money on optics ... :supergrin:

Alchemy, light-switch, Rotn1 and 4 others like this.
  15. Pandaz3

Pandaz3

I had avoided AR's, I had a M-14, M-16 and then a M-16A1 in Vietnam. I wanted a M-14 if I had to use it and a M-16A1 if I had to carry it. Anyway the Mrs. and I had watched "Rambo, First Blood" when it first came out and after she remarked 'We need a Rambo Gun' For a long time I thought she was referring to the M-60 machinegun, but she wanted an AR. I tried to find a good M-1 Carbine, but everyone wanted a collector price for one. Time moved on, my finances improved, and the idea languished until that great gun salesman took office. Now the prices shot thru the roof, I waited, finally his re-election at hand, I bought a Daniels Defense DDM4 for her, and a Armalite AR-10 for me.

Since then the Build Bug bit me HARD, I have close to a dozen AR-15's, 3 AR-10's, 2 AR-15 Pistols, 2 AR-9 Pistols. They are like rabbits, they multiply.

I took some sort of antidote for the Build Bug, and stopped, but I have parts for at least one AR-10 and two AR-15's. Who knows if I will have a relapse.

16. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

How can I not own an AR? I've never liked AR's and I've never owned one. I first qualified with one in 1969 and it didn't seem like a real gun and it fired dinky little cartridges. I never had to use one in combat and would have preferred an M14.

Back then the guns had problems which seem to have been worked out over time and they are accurate and available in decent chamberings such as 458 Socom, 6.5 Grendel, and 224 Valkerie but I still don't like them.

17. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

It's not my favorite design, I've had a few over the years, but I don't do much rifle shooting anymore. Other than. 22s and a Ruger PCC, which I can shoot indoors at my local range.

However, I just bought my first AR in years. I've always had Colt 6920s, great solid guns, but I saw an auction on GoingBroker for a Stag Model 2. Remembered that they were supposed to be solid guns, I looked up reviews and compared to Colt. Point for point, it was pretty darn close to the Colt, right down to chrome lining. So I put in a rather low ball bid.

No one else bid and I won. :) Grand total of $375 including shipping, brand new in box.

Have been shooting the heck out it for the last several months. Zero issues and it's a great little carbine imo. So yeah, get em while the getting is good.

20190513_122739.jpg

18. sciolist

sciolist Token Progressive Sanctimonious Fudd

Simple, some people are more interested in other types of shooting.

19. WT

WT Millennium Member

I think it is good to have one in the house as a doomsday provision.

Alchemy, 1bigK, light-switch and 3 others like this.
  20. John_AZ

John_AZ

I am not much of a rifle guy. Or shotgun. Had some .22 rifles along the way. But bought a Ruger .556 when I got a deal with 5 mags for $400. Have a couple cases of ammo and have 17 magazines now between mine and work magazines. I also have my short barrel suppressed AR for work at the house. If things go awry overnight and the world is ending, that will be the one I grab