close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How can people say "it is so comfortable I forgot I was carrying"!?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by sig123, Mar 13, 2010.

1. sig123

sig123

Over the last few years I've experimented with several different holsters and while some are certainly more comfortable than others, I can always feel having a slab of steel jammed between my pants and body. I occasionally read on forums about people saying "my holster is so comfortable I sometimes forget it's there". Either people are exaggerating to make a point or must be numb at the waist.

I wish I could find an IWB holster that was so comfortable!

2. joker42179

joker42179

get a custom holster they honestly make all the difference

3. sig123

sig123

Such as? I've tried Milt Sparks VMII and Brommeland Max Con. They are no better than the cheaper ones in the comfort department. To date, my most comfortable holster is the Comp-tac MTac. It is more comfortable than the two aforementioned but I can still feel it all the time.

4. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I am always aware of the weight. Sometimes I guess a mousegun could be forgotten about.

5. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

IMO it is not so much an issue of "I forget it is there" as it is an issue of "I am so used to it being there that it is normal." It is like your wallet. You always know it is there, but you are used to the bulk and the weight so it is normal to feel it.

6. Patchman

Patchman Florist

The quality of the IWB has something to do with it. Also how tightly you have the belt cinched, and finally, where around the waist you're carrying. If the belt/holster is cinched tight and jammed against a bone (hip bone or whatever) you're going to know it's there all the time. You can loosen the belt a bit when in situations where you're doing office work and not going to be running around or jumping over fences.

7. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

+1 and it also helps once you settle on the gun and holster instead of constantly changing them.

8. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Getting used to the weight is important also. There's nothing worse than leaving the house and a few minutes later notice you're traveling lighter than usual, and then realizing why.

9. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

Me too. I always know it's there; but since I've been trying out a pancake rig I'm really impressed with just how comfortable it is to carry. I really hated carrying with an IWB holster.

10. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

First, OWB is generally more comfortable and just as concealable as IWB if you know what you're doing. Second, no holster performs without a proper gunbelt. Gunbelts provide exponentially more support for the gun. Belts don't need to be tighter when you're carrying a gun. If you have to cinch your belt up, you need a good gunbelt. Last, if you get an IWB holster, make it one with beltloops that are outboard from the holster, and don't wear tight pants.

11. Maine1

Maine1

+1 to the good belt, that helps more than most think it should to redistribute weight.

I think it is a multi faceted issue, based on factors of lifestyle, dress, climate, work, gun, and what one is willing to go through to get to that "extreme comfort" point . Bill L above says that OWB works for him, when i found that going to IWB was the cats meow for me. I can sleep with my G-20 on, as well as run, jump, climb,ect. BUT..i bought one IWB..then made several more, after carrying each for months, then combined the final results in one holster that combines what i need in convenience, concealability, comfort and acsess.
    BUT..did i go thru the SAME effort to make OWB as comfortable and workable? No, i did not. I may, just to expiriment with making holsters, but i see no real reason for ME to do so.

somertimes it takes a while, and a substantial investment of time, effort, money, but its worth it once you get there.
    also, mindset comes into play. If you think "i'll only carry when i need to" you will not be as committed as the " i will carry 24-7, now i need to find a way" guy. And, not as comfy with your rig as you do not wear it daily, like Dave A said.
    Good luck!

12. Glocktrekker

Glocktrekker

Bladetech kydex IWB with a 5-stitch wilderness belt did it for me- carry at 3-3:30 and it does not move.

I have gotten so used to it being there that I "forget" because it doesn't dig into me. but the weight is always there to remind me.

Remember- "comforting not comfortable."

13. Lockback

Lockback Polymerlicious!

I always know it's there but in most cases, I'm really shocked by how comfortable the G36 is in my Crossbreed Supertuck.
    It really is an amazing holster.
    Having said that, it seems to vary from day to day. It depends on what pants I'm wearing, what shirt I'm wearing (i.e., belt tightness), and to some degree where I wear it. I'm usually at about 4:00 with it but some days I move it to a slightly different position. Some days it seems to grind on my hip a little ... other days I truly "forget I'm carrying".

14. Nords

Nords

Much like many other things we take for granted,

You may only notice once its not there.

15. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Maybe get bigger pants so the gun fits easily. If the pants are a little tight without a pistol in the waistband, especially if you have a bulky holster. Try a kydex IWB. Much thinner, less noticeable. And get a good belt that supports the weight.

Randy

16. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Without reading the other responses:

You need a better holster and a better belt. You need to stick with one setup for longer than you have.

17. Andrewsky

Andrewsky

MTAC, Beltman, *yawn*

18. Gallium

Gallium CLM

I wear a middle of the road OWB holster, in which I sport around a subcompact or compact. I mostly notice my gun when I'm putting on my seatbelt, or taking off my pants, or headed back into NY from CT (the testes also shrivel up a bit there as well... :sad: )

Drew

19. bigj480

bigj480 CLM

What are you carrying?

20. Poppa Bear

Poppa Bear Protective G'pa CLM

My primary is a G22 and at times I will check just to make sure it is still there. It is all about quality holster and quality belt, with proper location. 4:30 works very well for me while wearing either a Galco Concealable or Sparks VM-2.

IF I spent all day sitting in a chair or in some way had the gun and holster pressed into my side, I would know it is there. Most of my day is spent standing so nothing is pressing into my side. If I am sitting somewhere soft it is possible for the entire unit to mold in to the cushion without placing pressure on me, and again does not pose a problem.