close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How can I login to XP OS?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by andrewan, Jan 8, 2010.

1. andrewan

andrewan

Hello Everyone.
    Can you tell me that How to login to XP when you have installed 2 OS Ubuntu and XP ?
    I had XP SP2 OS installed in my PC. Now I installed ubuntu OS But now whenever I login its taking me directly to Ubuntu. How can I login to XP OS? Please give me proper advise.
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  2. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

What does you boot screen look like? I take it there is no Windows option or you need to press the down arrow key on your keyboard to choose Windows. What did you use to install Ubuntu? A live CD? The alternative installation CD?

3. Linux3

Linux3

If you did indeed create a dual boot system you will see a Start up screen before Ubuntu loads.
    However, the default OS is Ubuntu.
    If you would like to change the default to XP:
    Boot Ubuntu
    Click on System - In the Top Panel
    Click on Administration
    Select Startup-Manager
    Enter YOUR passwd.

Change "Default operating system"
    to whatever you want.
    Maybe increase the "Timeout in seconds" number.
    Close the Startup-manager.

Reboot

4. area727

area727 G23

If you dont see the menu to pick the OS, you'll need to reinstall GRUB (boot loader). You can do this by booting into Ubuntu, then installing grub. I would recommend you do a google search on how to do this, or try this link...

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/reinstall-ubuntu-grub-bootloader-after-windows-wipes-it-out/

Once grub is reinstalled you should see the menu for choosing your OS.

When I installed Windows 7 on a machine that dual booted, it wiped out the boot loader, and would boot directly into Windows 7 (no menu to choose from). Well, I ran the ubuntu live CD, once it loaded, you can from there reinstall grub. been working like a champ ever since.

5. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

If you use the alternative installation CD it allows putting the boot loader on a floppy or a USB thumb drive. This keeps from having to overwrite the Windows master boot record. The live CD doesn't include this option.

6. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

I don't remember if the Ubuntu CD's will allow you to boot the hard drive installed Ubuntu without a Linux boot loader on the hard drive. If you have no files to save in Linux and need to see if Windows is still functional boot the Windows CD into recovery mode and run: fixmbr This should restore the Windows master boot record so you can access Windows. You will lose being able to boot Ubuntu from the hard drive but the Ubuntu CD might be able to do it.