close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How can I be sore after tiling??

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by vart, May 27, 2012.

1. vart

vart

Yesterday, I had to install the underlayment for tile that I'm laying today in my master bedroom.

210 sq ft of wonderboard, 15 sheets, nearly 800 screws. Took me 8 hours...:shocked:

Today, I need to start laying the tile and I am in pain! My whole body hurts; back is sore, triceps are sore, knees hurt, and my butt hurts...

Getting old sucks! I feel like I did when I was 25 after I did a full day of hunting, covering 10 miles of mountainous terrain with a pack...

43, fat, desk warrior and 8 hours of physical labor is not a good combination...

Any other older weekend warriors here that are amazed at how out of shape you are? :fred:

2. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Laying tile hurts.

It's an unnatural position, and that's why you're sore.

Even if you were in great shape, you'd still be sore because your body isn't used to being in those positions for any period of time.

3. K.Kiser

K.Kiser

^^^ True.. I do a pretty good bit of physical labor digging trenches, belly crawling through tight attics and crawling under houses dragging wire and tools, carrying big ladders and climbing them with heavy pipe, etc... With those things I'm in pretty good shape, but when my workout changes up a bit and hit some different stabilizer muscles I can certainly tell the next day.. It's all due to those little muscles that seem to get by without day after day by hiding in the shadows..

4. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

Any repetitive motion will do that.

5. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR Silver Member

Laying tile is very hard on the body. A lot of pros end up with their knees shot.

6. Gallium

Gallium CLM

People who tile for a living don't get as sore as the rest of us lard butts.

As with most things (within reason), the human body is good at adapting and conditioning.

Vart, if you did this for four weeks straight (weekends off), by week 2 you'd be accustomed to it, by week 4 (about the time habits are thought to set in), - nothing to it.

Question: When you dip your toe in a really hot or cold bath/pool/etc, and you shiver or withdraw, but then take the plunge with your whole body...and then after 2 minutes in there you feel normal, what happened? Did the water temperature change? Did your body temperature change? No. Your body simply got accustomed to the level of it's environment and adapted.

Trav, I would recommend you try to hook up with another tiler THIS WEEKEND to take advantage of your newly broken in old muscles.:)

7. Big House

Big House Biggest member

800 mg before, during and after. You will not hurt as bad, but you will still hurt.

8. deputy tom

deputy tom

Better now than 15-20 yrs down the road. You'll see what pain is. Trust me. That said I hope you get feeling better. tom.:wavey:

9. vart

vart

I'm taking Aleve every few hours...

Just did some double checking and I'm going to be 3 boxes short of tile...:steamed:

Didn't think I was THAT bad at math...:embarassed:

10. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

You're only supposed to take 3 aleve in a day. Ibuprofen you can take every 4 to 6 hours, same with some tylenol.

11. Braken

Braken

I do this type of work everyday and still hurt.
    Walk around and stretch more will help during the tile install.

Get a Tavi Tile Puck, about 10$, will help eliminate kickers on your tile floor. The Tavi tile spacers are sweet too.

http://www.tavytools.com/Tile_puck.html

Local Lowes has them here.

Good luck man.

12. RenoF250

RenoF250

I think you can take 2 every 12 hour so 4 is probably okay but certainly not "every few hours". You are going to have bigger problems than pain if you keep that up.

13. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

Damn right. :thumbsup:

14. vart

vart

Yeah... I finally read the dosage on the bottle and realized I was over doing it....:embarassed:

I am now officially in real pain... The muscles that didn't hurt yesterday, hurt today. I only have about 150 sq ft left to do, and all the weird cuts are done, so it should be pretty easy.

But, I seem to be coming down with something since in addition to all of the soreness, I am feverish and have a scratchy throat.

And I managed to miss a screw and drive the screw bit into my left trigger finger to the bone... I washed it with peroxide and have been changing the bandaid twice a day and irrigating with iodine, but it hurts and may be infected...

:rofl::rofl:

I never thought such a simple job would be so painful! :crying:

15. Goaltender66

Goaltender66 NRA GoldenEagle

Vart, I'm just now recovering from doing 300 sq feet of laminate flooring. Yep, I couldn't even get out of bed this morning. I felt like I fell out of an airplane, landed on the expressway, and then got hit by a eighteen-wheeler. Amazing.

16. Monte4283

Monte4283

Yep, About the same as you.

47, Fat, Sit on my butt all day making dentures.

Recently put up a wood privacy fence(8 panels) on one side of my yard. Dug 7 holes with a manual posthole digger and the next 2 days my whole upper body and my hands were killing me.

17. Viper16

Viper16

i redid my bathroom with about 250sq ft of tile (including the shower)...and boy was I sore...my hands were also very tender afterwards.

I also got sore after bowling...it has been like 5-8 years since I last bowled btw.

<--Desk Job

18. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I had to move a water heater from Lowes. A young guy came out to help me load it. He was training a bit and I asked him if it was heavy os just me getting old. :rofl:He told me it was heavy as hell and we were both old and he was twenty years old.

Moving around in unnatural positions hurts at any age unless you do it all the time. Glad you were able to do it yourself and save some money. Try the new Ben Gay ice..it helps a lot. :cool: