How can brick and mortar stores possibly compete with amazon.com? They can't!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by davethehiker, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Finestkind

Finestkind

Sometimes Price does not outweigh convenience, service or support. Not everyone can install a light fixture or other items. Some of Amazons orders take months to ship. We have had a few. Some products are not as described. A lot of people like to look at the item before buying. The Corona Virus is pushing people to on line because many will only allow curbside pickup. Will this go back to the way it used to be is anyone's guess. A couple of big box stores reduced the size or closed stores completely be cause of "showrooming". People were coming in to touch and fondle an item and then order on line. As others have mentioned Amazon not charging tax was one reason. I bet as time goes on the on line retailer will get tired of the amount of returns and shipping they are paying.

Finestkind

2. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve

I searched... i see lots of shirts. Am i doing it wrong?

3. PBCounty

PBCounty

Mixed in with totally unrelated stuff that will sometimes preceded what should be the most relevant in result order. Meanwhile, some totally relevant items are never shown in results, but will appear if you use Google to search Amazon's inventory. It's very poorly done.

4. Z71bill

Z71bill

This is true -

I wanted a Hogue grip for a gun I just bought - Amazon had it for $12 through an independent vendor.

I searched and found a site that I had used before, Extreme tactical - it was $10.36 free shipping.

So I ordered it - but if Amazon would have been the seller I would have paid the extra $1.64 just because it is so easy.

The next day I sign into Amazon and the price had changed to $10.32 - So I figure they must somehow monitor what people are doing and try and hit a lower price -

IDN maybe I am wrong - but I will usually put stuff in the "save for later" bucket - and then the next time I sign in it flashes all the price changes.

This exact thing has happened to me several times before.

SevenSixtyTwo and treg like this.
  5. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam

Interesting claim given Amazon’s pounding most segments of the market.

6. Z71bill

Z71bill

I went into Lowe's to buy a dishwasher - the delivery time was about a month to 6 weeks -

I ordered online and it was delivered and installed a few days later.

The OP is correct - many brick and mortar store don't keep thing on the shelves - and when they do it is not the one you want.

I needed a new low voltage power pack thingy because mine was going out -

I pull up Home Depot and Lowe's to see what they have -

Found a few good deals - like 120 watt unit for $69 - but guess what - they had zero of them in stock - they did have another 120 watt unit in stock and it was $129.

I have noticed this over and over with all sorts of things. You want a lower price you order it on line - even if it from a B&M retailer.

Deanster likes this.
  7. Z71bill

Z71bill

I ordered a dash replacement kit from Amazon - the dash in my 2007 Chevy had a big crack in it

[​IMG]
    The company wanted $149 - Amazon had it for $79 and I know it was a knockoff - but I am convinced it is the exact same item - produced in the exact same factory as the name brand item - it was a perfect fit -

Sometimes the counterfeit item is the same as the authentic item - but just at a lower price.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  8. 5.45 Shooter

5.45 Shooter

Around here most Amazon packages get delivered by the USPS & with the USPS having troubles lately they may drop the Amazon deliveries. So Amazon may have to take over their own deliveries.
    Yes the brick & mortar gun stores can deliver something that Amazon can't that's hands on gunsmithing. Gunsmithing is a fading art most shops don't offer it. If they get it back into it the local gun shop may have a chance, otherwise the firearm will become a throw-away idem like so much else has become. I'm not talking about putting on a scope or changing grips on someones pistol. I'm talking about reworking guns like they used to do & doing trigger jobs. You can't find a smith these days that will touch a trigger other than drop in a lighter aftermarket trigger. It's because they become responsible if anything goes wrong with that trigger. How many smiths have bluing tanks set up to re-blue guns?

9. Rocks

Rocks

Years ago. the mom and pop corner stores were put out of business by supermarkets a big discount stores. Hardware stores hurt by Lowes, Home depot.
    Now those stores hurt by Amazon.

Jump likes this.
  10. Z71bill

Z71bill

I am in Houston - will guess larger cities have better delivery.

I ordered some stuff from Amazon Sunday morning and it was delivered Sunday afternoon.

It was some bandages - my dog had a cut - I had enough on hand but needed more -

I ordered from Amazon - but the next time I was in Walgreens I checked out the first aid section -

I got 24 rolls of gauze for $14 - Walgreens would have been $24 -

The bandage tape to hold the gauze in place (60 yards worth) at Amazon was $12 Walgreen's was over $50 for the same amount.

Deanster and pjanthony like this.
  11. PBCounty

PBCounty

You guys also need to factor in that some people actually like going out and doing stuff. Not everyone is a garage dwelling hermit that takes pride in avoiding people. LOTS of people like going out, smiling at people, talking to people, trying a random lunch spot, going shopping with a friend or family member, etc.. It's easy to project that a trip to Lowe's or Home Depot or Best Buy or the mall or whatever is a dreaded chore - but a whole lot of people actually look forward to those errands.

SevenSixtyTwo likes this.
  12. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? Millennium Member CLM

Everyone loves to blame Amazon for their businesses failing, but Amazon has less than 5% of US retail sales at the moment, and it's only been that high for a couple years.

I've said it before, but so many businesses act like the DGAF that you came in their store to buy something, and like they'd really prefer you never came back. Poor selection, salespeople who know NOTHING about their products or even the category - yet are hyper-aggressive about getting you to buy whatever they're getting a spiff on that week. Or just no staff in sight at all.

A lot of stores got used to getting 'their fair share' of sales, because people had no other way to get the items. They were just distribution sites, really.

Sporting goods stores are my usual example - maybe they had a few softball bats to choose from, a couple kinds of racquetball gloves with a limited selection of sizes, etc. Everything was at full retail except a few sales items each week. Routinely out of stock on in-season items like shin pads during soccer season. No employees in sight, you needed to go track someone down to open up the locked case for half the stuff in the store. Terrible return policy, even on unopened items. Not at ALL uncommon to have to visit Sports Authority, Big 5 and GI Joes in the same day to find something that sorta worked, having a terrible experience at each one.

Then they have the balls to explain that it's AMAZON killing their business? They're somehow surprised that the instant people have an even moderately workable alternative, their customers are running that direction as fast as they can?

I buy things directly from Amazon without worry - they seem to do a good job on their own stuff. I'm also happy to buy things that Amazon has in their warehouse, even from other sellers.

If you buy 3rd Party on Amazon, and they're shipping direct to you without passing through Amazon's hands... that's a lot riskier - I wish Amazon would do a better job of making it clear when that's the situation.

usmc4641, Jump and AK_Stick like this.
  13. Deanster

Oh, I almost forgot.

Went to Office Depot near my house a few weeks ago to get my 18 yo a new desk chair, since he'll be in it constantly for online freshman college in the fall.

Chair seem like exactly the sort of thing you'd want to try in person.

Office Depot is empty of customers, and nearly empty of product. Literal echoes and empty aisles.

We try chairs, like a Sealy-brand one, it's expensive, but chairs aren't a place to skimp, so $300, whatever.

They only have one brown one in stock, no black. They can order one online for me, it'll be here in a week-10 days. I just walk, because we really wanted to take one home that day.

I check online, looks like the model is office Depot specific. Office Depot's website says that it's in-stock at every Office Depot in town, but only one at each.

I call my local store back, they say they don't have one. I tell them that their website will let me buy one for pickup in an hour at that store. They say 'yeah, the website shows that floor models and ones that are supposed to arrive soon are available, but we can't sell floor models, and don't have the future ones here.' I called three other Office Depots that showed the chair as in-stock for pickup today, same answer from each of them.

Apparently they get many irate customers every week who bought something their site says they can pick up today, but it turns out it's not actually there when they arrive to pick it up. Been going on for years, nobody will fix how the website displays stock.

But it's AMAZON that's taking their business?

These guys are driving business away as fast as they can. I don't expect to ever willingly set foot in an Office Depot again.

Z71bill likes this.
  14. ClydeG19

ClydeG19

Amazon is certainly easy and they have a lot of stuff. Sometimes some more specialized items I can't find there. But it is rather concerning that they seem to be everywhere now. Blue vans creepin everywhere, warehouses going up all over... I'm worried my Amazon choice D vitamins might actually be nanobots implanting the thought to shop at Amazon.

Some things like clothes, shoes, etc I want to see and touch before I buy. But Amazon is good for a lot of things.

15. NAZG26

NAZG26 Lost in transit

China thanks you.

16. Z71bill

Z71bill

We buy our office / desk chairs at Sams - get the BIG FAT GUY model - not because we are big and fat - but they hold up better than the 200 pound max model - and the padding is better.

You do have to put them together yourself -

I take the tool they give you - an Allen wrench - and cut it off at the angle so it fits in my cordless drill -

Takes me about 20 minutes to put one together -

Cost is normally $180 - I have paid as low as $149 and maybe $199 -

I have a crazy neighbor - when I throw away the old chair he takes it out of my trash -

Next trash day - my old chair from last time - is at the curb at his house.

For a few $$ it is not worth a back ache --

17. Deanster

Yeah, I usually buy the one Costco is selling at that moment, but I didn't like their current offering. Conveniently, I am a big fat guy, so that's a great choice for me!

Z71bill likes this.
  18. FCastle88

FCastle88

You can still do those things without doing all your shopping there. Teenagers used to hang out at the mall all the time, they rarely actually bought anything. Though at least around here malls seem to be on the way out. Going shopping with a friend/family member is often mostly just browsing anyway.

If there's something I need I'll look online. If Lowes/Home Depot/Walmart have the model/size I want in stock I'll probably just go buy it there. However they often don't carry the exact item I want in the store, or it's out of stock. I do buy a decent amount of stuff from Walmart's website and have it shipped to the local store or my house.

Sure Amazon has its issues. Lots of questionable third party sellers, reviews seem to be mostly fake on items that aren't major brands. I also don't buy things that are often counterfeit, like cologne and Spyderco knives for example, because Amazon commingles their inventory with that of third party sellers they fulfill orders for so even if you buy from Amazon you might be getting a fake.

Amazon does however have a far larger variety of brands and models than you're going to find at a retail store. They also have all kinds of odds and ends items you'll never find stocked at a brick and mortar store. Their Prime video streaming is pretty good these days as well, I'd keep my Prime subscription just for that.