How can brick and mortar stores possibly compete with amazon.com? They can't!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by davethehiker, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Glock1963

Glock1963

Just know going in to be mindful of what you’re getting as best you can. As many people have stated in this thread, counterfeit items are a real concern. I’ve gotten fake merchandise from them myself. One thing was a bicycle tire, believe it or not.

Z71bill and Jade Falcon like this.
  2. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

I'll keep that in mind, thank you. I'm trying to avoid the obscure-sounding merchandise as much as possible, and that helps. In regards to tools, for example, I'm looking specifically at established companies like Dewalt and Craftsman, who have actual stores on Amazon, rather than the no-name Chinese junk that is so prevalent. But that's a topic for another thread, which I'll start soon.

3. napp32

napp32

I have recently bought items from local stores that I previously would have ordered from Amazon. Until a few months ago, the lack of sales tax on Amazon purchases made it worthwhile to wait a couple of extra days for the items. Now that Amazon is required to collect state sales tax, it sometimes is better to get the item locally.

I'm sure my change in purchase routine won't even be noticed by Amazon; but I'm also sure that there are thousands of other people who have made similar changes to their buying habits.

63Bravo likes this.
  4. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Use Amazon Smile,

"AmazonSmile will donate 0.5% of your eligible purchases to the charitable organization of your choice. You can choose from over one million organizations to support."

RJ Schuknecht and Jump like this.
  5. DAKA

DAKA

Hmmm, what do you have in mind there......

6. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

That's not really true. Amazon doesn't sell counterfeit items. Counterfeit items come from independent sellers selling on Amazon "market place". Amazon goes to great lengths to clean this up since it actually hurts their GP and they have to handle the returns as well. They try to clean these sellers up and they keep on coming back; whack a mole.

7. Gamera

Gamera

Almost every time you buy a cheaper alternative on Amazon, you are sending your money to China. Always check country of origin.

63Bravo and Jade Falcon like this.
  8. MaxB

MaxB

My store has a selection of fasteners that's unrivaled, one whole wall of bins for metalwork, carpentry and everything in between. Their plumbing and electrical sections are similar.

davethehiker likes this.
  9. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

Some things I just can't find local so I use Amazon.

Also if I want/need something right now I go local, but if I can wait for it, and the price is = or < than local, I use Amazon.

10. davethehiker

davethehiker

In regard to avoiding the sales tax on big ticket items like a computer or camera, it's better to order them from big NYC retailers and have them shipped to you and avoid you local state sales tax.

pjanthony likes this.
  11. geefal

geefal

Here, let me fix that for you "almost every time you buy something, you are sending your money to China".

Said tongue in check, but only partially. As a country we have become immensely dependent upon China. Sincerely hope we are able to bring some of atleast the essentials back here again. Moving pharmaceutical manufacturing from Puerto Rico to China, well not the smartest thing we ever did.

Gamera likes this.
  12. geefal

geefal

you do know when you file taxes, your "supposed" to report those purchase and pay said tax at that point and time.

13. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

Brick-and-Mortar stores are competing with Amazon by becoming Amazon. They are giving up on having a full selection of their product in the store.

For example I recently shopped for a gas pole saw. Ebay and Amazon had weird no-name brands from China with not so good ratings.

I ended up buying an Echo brand at Home Depot but although the local store has a large display of Echo chain saws and string trimmers it does not carry Echo pole saws.

Delivery is free to my house and takes an extra day from the pickup in-store option. Home Depot since the virus has not been a good place to visit so home delivery it is.

More and more I am just buying online where it becomes shopping for the best price and in most cases Amazon is not the best price. In fact Amazon is very rarely the best price.

davethehiker likes this.
  14. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

This could wind up being a big problem for Amazon.

I no longer trust their reviews section, and I’m highly suspicious of their products. I will frequently buy elsewhere, even for a slightly higher price, if I can’t get a good read on an Amazon product.

63Bravo, wprebeck and davethehiker like this.
  15. davethehiker

davethehiker

Que Supree! :alex:

16. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

I agree completely. I recently bought a power cord for my laptop after a new puppy chewed the original. It took me 30 minutes to find one that I thought my be okay and not something that would burn my house down. There are so many false reviews on that site now and I recently read a story about a woman who gets paid to create some of those comments, many times without even using or receiving the product!

There are other retailers out there and they are direct competitors with Amazon. One can often find deals from those companies that are trying to stay afloat. My daughter likes a specific beauty item that she's been ordering from Amazon. We found it on the retailer's website for the same price as Amazon, free shipping, and no sales tax. Since they aren't in my state physically, there isn't tax, unlike Amazon. So, my daughter can buy it cheaper there, than at Amazon.

There's also the fact that Wal-Mart is doing it's best to match Amazon with free two day shipping and no membership fees. I'll be making use of that soon, to be sure.

Bezos is a liberal dip**** who's let his company become rife with cheap crap, fake reviews, and even fraudulent items. Time for him to go.

17. WayneJessie

WayneJessie

Brick and mortar store are still doing quite well in more rural parts of the country. I think it’s because “going to town” is more of a part of our lives .

SevenSixtyTwo likes this.
  18. PBCounty

PBCounty

Aren't something like 80% of non-grocery purchases still made in store in the US? 90% of grocery purchases? I'd say physical store locations are still holding their own against (and with) online purchases.

SevenSixtyTwo likes this.
  19. PBCounty

PBCounty

And BTW I don't get you Amazon shoppers. Don't get me wrong, I buy a lot online, but Amazon is just terrible. The prices are not especially outstanding, often more expensive than others, and their search engine is the worst I've seen in modern use. Search for men's French cuff dress shirts and get back teddy bears and flashlights.

SevenSixtyTwo and wprebeck like this.
  20. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich

Amazon needs to get a handle on the counterfeit merch and the fake reviews.

I do order a lot of stuff from Amazon, but there have been many times I've gone elsewhere because I couldn't be sure that I would get what I thought I was buying.

And there are other times I knew I was buying counterfeit, because the pics were either cheesy, or the write up was less than professional, of the price was so cheap, it was either fake or fell off a truck.

Amazon is an online flea market. Buyer beware.