How can brick and mortar stores possibly compete with amazon.com? They can't!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by davethehiker, Aug 10, 2020.

1. cheygriz

cheygriz God Bless Trump

Brick and mortar stores are an anachronism. A useless relic of a distant past.

syntaxerrorsix likes this.
  2. Deltic

Deltic

Unless you want something now not in 4 days. Or you want to try it on or maybe service is important. Or...

cbetts1 likes this.

3. cbetts1

cbetts1

I just watched a video today of a Amazon store being destroyed by idiots in black.

4. cbetts1

cbetts1

Interesting, Amazon is building brick and mortar grocery stores with self checkout only. It will expand because there is market share and Amazon wants it all.

5. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

On what basis? Just because they are the most successful retailer in the history of the planet (next to WalMart)? It seems some people are jealous of success!

There are alternatives to Amazon like WalMart which has revenue nearly twice that of Amazon. They may not have the diversity in their products but WalMart is huge!

There are still bricks and mortar book stores just because people like to browse. Ace Hardware is across town but they really know hardware. Best Buy is a few miles away and has the advantage of having products on display. Sure, a lot of people make their selections at Best Buy and then order from Amazon, I don't. Not that I buy a lot of technology, I already have it.

I place about 20 orders per month at Amazon, not including Kindle books. Of course I don't want to see them impacted by a run-away ignorant congress. They wouldn't dare take on WalMart!

Look at the way the AT&T breakup didn't work out. A half dozen 'Baby Bells' were formed and they merged and ate each other until Southwestern Bell Corporation, renamed SBC Communications bought the remnants of the original AT&T. Nothing changed except the names.

cheygriz, Deanster and R.B. Riddick like this.
  6. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Aren't they the sole survivor? I know Circuit City is nearly gone and it seems like there were a couple of others back in the '90s but I don't remember them. One was Radio Shack...

Since BB is successful, maybe we should break that up too! We can't have businesses making money, they might start to have some influence.

R.B. Riddick and syntaxerrorsix like this.
  7. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

The government doesn't get to pick winners and losers ever. That's the problem, even if they get it right by accident, the goverment is always wrong. Always.

R.B. Riddick likes this.
  8. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Enjoy every minute of our availability.

No Republic last forever. No reason to think ours will.

pjanthony and geefal like this.
  9. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

I've bought two things from Amazon recently for the first time. The experience has been most enjoyable.

Right now I'm looking at tool kits on Amazon, as well as on Lowes.com.

10. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

I like Amazon and Zappos (shoes). Returns are easy, since I live 2 miles from a UPS store.

11. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

I've noticed a serious decline in the availability of quality products from Amazon. The majority of things I see are Chinese junk with fake reviews. It's getting to the point I may not renew our Prime membership this year.

Kablam, SevenSixtyTwo and MB-G26 like this.
  12. nutsnax

nutsnax

They can't - Amazon and the like are government-sanctioned monopolies.

I imagine that the only reason Worst Buy and Freek Squad is allowed to exist is that they send customer pictures to the Female Body Inspectors.

13. shadowgunner9

shadowgunner9 This used to be AMERICA........

I need a copy of a key made. Will Amazon do that........?
    Amazon, good for most, not at ALL all- inclusive- yet. They just opened a Amazon shipping center several miles from me. Now I see actual Amazon- painted trucks on my street.

MaxB likes this.
  14. Blanton

Blanton

Are you just now figuring this out??

pjanthony and TheDreadnought like this.
  15. MaxB

MaxB

Amazon can't begin to compare to my local Ace Hardware store when I've got some fixing to do.

Bogart999 and davethehiker like this.
  16. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

When I start seeing, “Donated by Amazon” signs at local charity events, I’ll consider them. HH

17. davethehiker

davethehiker

I think you are referring to the helpful advice you can get at Ace from an experienced person you know trust. That is true. Today I knew what I wanted and found it on line.

Deanster likes this.
  18. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

19. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Actually, I bought all of my LED shop lights at Sams. Costco has similar fixtures. I found the Amazon choices to cost more.

I also bought some replacement LED lamps for a kitchen fixture that would have been difficult to replace with an LED fixture - best price for LED replacements, Walmart.

Today, I needed some 1/8" ID fuel/oil line to replace the oil injection lines on a 2-cycle Waverunner. I couldn't find any Buna/Viton lines on amazon, other than some "sketchy" Henco en Chine product. O'Rilieys ordered me an entire roll of Gates (made in the US) Buna at no charge. I'll buy it by the foot (when it comes in to the store tomorrow) at 1/5 the cost of Yahama and 1/2 the cost of Amazon's china product.

I buy a lot of reloading components at Sportsman's (mostly shotgun primers/wad/shot and almost all powder).

20. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

I don't like BB. They actually ran a website for "in-store" access. If you were on their network, were using their Wi-Fi, or one of their computers - the BB website was different than accessing it from outside.

You'd see a price on-line, then go to the store to buy it, only to find that the price had been increased several percent. If you questioned it - you could look it up on their computer - or on your phone* and see the price in the store; so you'd think that you remembered wrong.

*This was before "unlimited" data on mobile devices, so most folks used the BB wifi. If you turned off wifi, you could see the outside price.

Also, they would routinely ring up "sale" items at the "normal" price. Most of the time they were "mid-priced" items so that a lot of folks wouldn't notice. If you "called" them on it they would correct it, usually with some excuse why it didn't ring up correctly.

They tried a "bait and switch" on a laptop on me, and I caught them on it. They had a tag on a computer for a GREAT price. When I went to buy it, they said that they "sold out earlier that day, but could offer me this other computer at a "little more" (of course with lesser specs). I asked them when they sold out, they told me right after noon. I showed them where the tag had been printed only eight (8) minutes before I tried to by it (I watched the sales guy hand the tag) at about 19:00.

BB is nothing but a bunch of scammin' bastages.

https://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/lawsuit/best-buy-website-scam.html