How can brick and mortar stores possibly compete with amazon.com? They can't!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by davethehiker, Aug 10, 2020.

1. davethehiker

davethehiker

How can brick and mortar stores possibly compete with amazon.com? They can't!

Yesterday I noticed that the fluorescent light bulbs were flickering at the bottom of the stairs leading into my utility room and the light was very dim. I decided it was time to replace the entire fixture with a modern LED light. Today I went to LOWES with the intention of buying a new fixture that would fit in the 2X2 Ft space the old lamp took up.

Understand, I'm old tired and cranky, and it's a hot humid day. After walking up and down three long isles of various lighting fixtures and not finding anything I liked, I turned to my wife and said, "Let's get out of here. Shopping on-line will be easier."

I returned home, looked on Amazon.com and found limitless ceiling light fixtures with the specs and dimensions listed. Because I'm doing it at home, when I found a bigger brighter fixture than I had in mind, I was able to measure the space available to see if it would fit. I ordered a bigger brighter easy to install bright LED light fixture.

I liked the sweet young ladies at LOWES and they give 10% off because I'm a Vet. When I found the light fixture I wanted on-line, I really did not care what it cost; I ordered it. It will be delivered to my house Saturday.

pjanthony and light-switch like this.
  2. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

Amazon is taking over the world. Jeff Bezos will be king someday.

3. NewYorker

NewYorker

I wouldnt buy from Lowes. But, thats just my preference.

Look at all the gas you wasted. You hate the Earth.

motorcycleman and JimWillson like this.
  4. NMG26

NMG26

You must sell through amazom

Submit

5. thespork

thespork

The government should break them up

6. amd65

amd65

You do know you can shop online at places besides Amazon, right? Even Lowe’s or Home Depot.

7. catman71

catman71 Spewer of TROOF

Amazon is no different than an old sears catalog.

They have everything under the sun you can order. The only difference is they are super easy to do business with.

think about that.

pjanthony, n2g, fx77 and 3 others like this.
  8. SevenSixtyTwo

SevenSixtyTwo

Fake NGK spark plugs from Amazon is just the tip. I’ll go to brick and mortar stores whenever possible.

light-switch, GSX42, wprebeck and 2 others like this.
  9. davethehiker

davethehiker

Ya, but the old sears catalog had the advantage of the tear out pages that you could use to wipe your butt.

Barry581 and catman71 like this.
  10. catman71

catman71 Spewer of TROOF

I’m not a fan of glossy catalog stock for my anal hygiene needs.

I’m not judging you tho.

badge315, BGDaddy, Need4Speed and 4 others like this.
  11. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

Fake **** has become a real problem on Amazon for sure. My wife wanted a Frye purse for Christmas and had sent me a link to one on Amazon. No thanks...chances of that being a fake are north of 50% so I went straight to the Frye website and bought it there.

12. ocjackel

ocjackel

I work at a brick and mortar store that sells high end appliances and plumbing fixtures (think $15K refrigerators and $4k toilets).

The key is to partner with manufacturers that aren't, and don't want to be, on Amazon. For instance, it's impossible to buy a Sub-Zero refrigerator online. Heck, we can't even publish the full MSRP retail price on our website.

Brands that also enforce their MAP polices (minimum advertised price) make a big difference too. I can easily beat Amazon pricing on brands that have strong MAP polices.

Ironically, a couple of years ago Amazon reached out to us to potentially be a supplier of appliances for them in our area. You purchase a refrigerator from Amazon and one of our trucks shows up to deliver it. We passed as it made zero financial sense with what they wanted to pay.

13. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

There is no looting Amazon.

DonGlock26, fx77, Jump and 4 others like this.
  14. DonD

DonD

I've never had an issue with Amazon, beats almost every place almost all the time with a mind bending number of choices. Do I like putting money in Bezos' pocket? Hell no but it's preferable to driving from store to store.

One thing I cannot do is shop for clothes. I'm in good shape and lean. Most trou if they fit in the waist have so much material in the rear that it looks like I took a world class sized dump in them. Not happening. Shoes are also hard for me to buy on line. Don

Deanster and cruz lee like this.
  15. NMG26

NMG26

Had a package dropped at the wrong address once .......luckily a nice person ler me know where it was

Jonesee likes this.
  16. SC Tiger

SC Tiger As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Biggest thing I like about Amazon is they sell a lot of the really weird crap that you can't find anywhere else - repair plugs for headphone cables, those plastic trim panel rivets that basically hold a Honda together, anchor kit for a swing set, stuff like that.

badge315, ZekerMan and DonGlock26 like this.
  17. yellolab

yellolab

Love them or hate them, Amazon understands the customer very well. Even returns- they credit me back as soon as they "see" the return label get scanned at my local UPS location.

Deanster, G19Tony and rock_castle like this.
  18. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

The only thing brick and mortar can provide for us anymore is service. Amazon isn't going to be servicing my regulators anytime soon so I still support my local dive shop.

Deanster, motorcycleman, fx77 and 3 others like this.
  19. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Amazon is making a killing selling counterfeit items. And they know it. I got a notice from a company I’ve bought from before saying they do not sell on amazon. They sell direct or through a few retailers only. Amazon has been notified they are selling fakes.

Amazon doesn’t care. They claim they are innocent because they only facilitate independent sellers.

cbetts1 and SevenSixtyTwo like this.
  20. PlayerOne

PlayerOne

I think Best Buy showed that it's not entirely impossible to compete and that brick and mortar stores can still make profits; you just need to understand your customers and adapt. Of course, it also helps that BB largely sells electronics and big-ticket appliances.

BB understood that price matching is a must. They understood that a lot of customers will use their stores as showrooms to look at items before buying them online, so they locked in the purchases, then and there, through price matching. They make up potential matching losses by making deals with manufacturers, allowing those manufacturers to use their stores as showrooms. Again, they understood, and embraced the idea, that people want to look at the product before buying. Best Buys are essentially Apple, Samsung, Google/Nest showrooms now.

I like how Best Buy handled it. I hope they last.